Menu

The Hobbit/LOTR - which history cycle?

meet me in paris

I know it's not a history book, but I'm wondering... where would you put this in your reading schedule? I really want to do these books as read-alouds someday soon with my kiddos. We're doing ancients this year - next year Middle Ages. Does it fit better with one or the other? I'm leaning toward waiting a year, but I'm thinking there may just be *so* many other great books that go with the Medieval theme and it may take too much time away from those.

What says the hive?

We did The Hobbit after Beowulf and Norse, Germanic, Arthurian, and Celtic myth cycles, which we covered in Medieval. However, it's accessible enough to read any time.

I agree that the reading level isn't hard enough to necessitate doing The Hobbit as a read aloud for those ages. We're doing it now and using the wonderful study guide linked to in my sig. I had never read it before, but I'm quite enjoying The Hobbit. I haven't read LOTR yet either, so we'll see when we get there. If you do Hobbit or LOTR as read alouds, you could still use the guides to guide your discussion and provide useful activities.

We did The Hobbit after Beowulf and Norse, Germanic, Arthurian, and Celtic myth cycles, which we covered in Medieval. However, it's accessible enough to read any time.

Yep, that's kind of where I was picturing it! :)

I agree that the reading level isn't hard enough to necessitate doing The Hobbit as a read aloud for those ages. We're doing it now and using the wonderful study guide linked to in my sig. I had never read it before, but I'm quite enjoying The Hobbit. I haven't read LOTR yet either, so we'll see when we get there. If you do Hobbit or LOTR as read alouds, you could still use the guides to guide your discussion and provide useful activities.

Thanks for that link! I'll take a look at that one.

Veritas Press puts Tolkien's books in Omnibus 2, which covers "early church fathers through the Reformation." (They use a 3 year history rotation at that level) I'm not suggesting you change over. Just sharing that tidbit to help you place it. :)

That's interesting, because VP is usually my back-up for where to put books (if I can't find them on the Sonlight lists ;)). Good to know.

Thanks, guys!

I've always been a fan of LOTR and when I was in graduate school in one class we were studying literature of the early 20th century. There was one group that was influenced by WWI. Anyway the themes of this group which was approximately when Tolkien was writing were also themes in LOTR. But this would probably be too sophisticated for elementary kids. I understand the early Beowulf grouping since Tolkien was a professor of early English literature. Not sure about the early church fathers through reformation era? Tolkien was very Catholic and very much a produce of England in the early 20th century.