Menu

S/O H1N1/Flu: Has anyone here already had H1N1?

Have you or a family member already gotten the H1N1 flu this year? Or do you suspect you've had it, but aren't sure bec. you didn't get tested?

What were your sypmptoms? How long did it last? Were you tested? Why were you tested?

I'm just wondering bec. my 2 older kids and I have been pretty sick with the "flu" for the past 2 weeks. Ds was first to get sick and went to the physician's assistant who told us it was a "virus". She said it would last 7-10 days, a claim I laughed off. We've never been sick that long.

But the virus did last that long for each of us. I looked up symptoms of the "flu" and we had every one on the list.

Ok, so we all had the flu. But is it a little too early for the regular seasonal flu? Did we actually have the H1N1 and not know it?

I'm wondering bec. I hesitantly decided we should get the H1N1 vax. We never get the yearly flu vax, but the H1N1 has me concerned.

But I don't want to go ahead and get the dc vaxed (and maybe me too) if we've already gone through the disease itself!

I feel awkard asking the dr.'s office to test my immunity and I'm not sure if they'd do it. But I just might go ahead and ask.

any one else sick lately w/ the flu of some kind?

if my kids had it late this past spring. When the news reports started coming out, mine were down with the same symptoms as H1N1, and it was a LENGTHY illness! I had the news on while giving one of my kids medication one day and laughed when they reported the "first" case in our county. I thought, "nope, we were the first."

Could have been a virus, but I'd love to know if they're immune.

We have not had it although Oklahoma in general is being hit badly right now. My husband is a doc here (family medicine) and he says that this is mostly the swine flu. He showed me a graph of the normal flu and it usually peaks around January, give or take a little. The graph showed the peak of this flu as being as high as the normal January-ish peak.

So far, we have been fortunate, but we recently decided to keep our two sons (3/4 years old) home from church for the next two weeks and to be very careful about washing hands and all that.

From the sounds of it, it is very likely that you have the swine flu. My husband tested himself because he has had a cold and just wanted to make sure, and he said that the test does sometimes return a negative when the person does have it, so it is not %100 even if you were tested.

I think we've have it now. My husband is a first grade ps teacher. He had 7 students out on Friday and has had a steady rotation of kids coming down with similar symptoms. He came down with it first in our family. I came down with it Monday. My daughter started in on Thursday. I anticipate my son will be next since he is already running a low grade fever. Here's our progression.

Step 1: Starts with sneezing, severe headache, runny nose.

Step 2: Progresses quickly to sore throat, snot everywhere, aches & pains all over, low grade fever, and intestinal upset (we didn't throw up but I know of families who are), difficulty sleeping due to miserableness.

Step 3: Sore throat tapers off and cough comes in with a vengeance. Sheer exhaustion.

Hubby is still fighting the cough, phlegm, and fatigue and he is now over a week into the virus.

I'm still fighting the fever, aches & pains, cough, etc.

Daughter is absolutely miserable. Sitting up to breath, can't sleep, etc.

Anyway, it's flu for sure. I'm assuming it's H1N1. Oh, we haven't gone to the doctor as none of us appears to be in distress. Just miserable.

I think we've have it now. My husband is a first grade ps teacher. He had 7 students out on Friday and has had a steady rotation of kids coming down with similar symptoms. He came down with it first in our family. I came down with it Monday. My daughter started in on Thursday. I anticipate my son will be next since he is already running a low grade fever. Here's our progression.

Step 1: Starts with sneezing, severe headache, runny nose.

Step 2: Progresses quickly to sore throat, snot everywhere, aches & pains all over, low grade fever, and intestinal upset (we didn't throw up but I know of families who are), difficulty sleeping due to miserableness.

Step 3: Sore throat tapers off and cough comes in with a vengeance. Sheer exhaustion.

Hubby is still fighting the cough, phlegm, and fatigue and he is now over a week into the virus.

I'm still fighting the fever, aches & pains, cough, etc.

Daughter is absolutely miserable. Sitting up to breath, can't sleep, etc.

Anyway, it's flu for sure. I'm assuming it's H1N1. Oh, we haven't gone to the doctor as none of us appears to be in distress. Just miserable.

This was the kids' progression to a T in our house!!! We weren't officially diagnosed, but it was a miserable few weeks around here as it went through everyone.

Mine was a little different:

Phase 1: Sheer exhaustion, body aches, chills, sweats, nausea - REALLY bad nausea

Phase 2: Feel a little better for a couple days

Phase 3: Start sneezing, coughing, blowing nose

Phase 4: Cough your lungs out - for two weeks.

So, same symptoms as the rest of my family, just a different order. I REALLY hope this was swine flu. I just want it DONE!!!

Most of my house has been down or going down since last fri/sat.

We haven't gone to the dr for it. Figure if it isn't h1n1 it will be by the end of a Ped appt.

We are debating staying home from activities for next week. The kids are really upset about it so I don't know yet.

The only 2 I'm concerned about haven't been sick and I'd like to keep it that way.

Phase 1: Sheer exhaustion, body aches, chills, sweats, nausea - REALLY bad nausea

Phase 2: Feel a little better for a couple days

Phase 3: Start sneezing, coughing, blowing nose

Phase 4: Cough your lungs out - for two weeks.

We may have had it 3-4 weeks ago...but if we did, it was oh so mild. Much more mild, in fact, than the other time I had the flu or the time my older son had the flu (confirmed type A and B at the same time).

Our symptoms - especially my younger one's - are EXACTLY what you describe above - except for the "extreme fatigue." He was tired and laid around, but wasn't lethargic or sleeping a lot.

Older ds had the virus for 3 days and shook it fast. I had it for 3-4 days and really was never all that sick. Dh had it just like younger ds and still has a cough over 20 days later - even though other symptoms have abated.

Did we have it? I have no idea. We passed it on to a friend and her dd and she thinks we had it - she had the fatigue pretty bad. I don't feel so sure though.

I am fairly sure my kids had H1N1 at the end of September. They both started feeling ill within half an hour of each other. The progression was, for both children unless otherwise listed:

Sore throat, fever (child A also had chills), vomiting (child B; child A felt nauseated but never vomited), runs (child A), fatigue, headache (child A).

Next came runny nose and coughing. Child B is still pretty congested ten days later; child A's residuals resolved more quickly.

Dh and I did not get sick. I didn't take the kids in for testing, because I've heard that the test results are not highly accurate, and IMO they weren't ill enough to warrant a doctor visit. This was milder than other illnesses, including flu, they've had in the past.

I have not heard of seasonal flu (non-H1N1) being currently active in my area; however, H1N1 was listed as "widespread" here during the time my kids were sick.

Our family has been hit hard with tested/diagnosed type A flu. Our ped said that 99.9% of type A flu is testing H1N1, so to assume that is what we have had. We are naturally vaccinated now, so we are good to go. But, it was a bear of a virus, and we are still coughing/wheezing weeks later!

There is little of any other flu going around according to the CDC. There is a bit of seasonal A H1 and H3, and a bit of B but most of what's out there is novel H1N1 (what the US is calling "2009 influenza A(H1N1)" )

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

During week 39, seasonal influenza A (H1), A (H3) and influenza B viruses co-circulated at low levels with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses. Over 99% of all subtyped influenza A viruses reported to CDC this week were 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses.

Edited by hornblower
forgot quote wrap

i'm fairly certain we had it.

There were confirmed cases at dd1's school. She started with a headache, slight cough, and felt like she had a fever (her words) but didn't actually have a fever. Occassionally she had an upset stomach, sore throat or headache. She coughed quite a bit and had a runny nose.

About three day, I started to feel unwell, went in and got tamiflu. Felt like i had about a 5% case of the flu for 4 of the 5 days of tamiflu - the stuff was such a miracle. When dd2 started to get sick, she also went on tamiflu.

They've both continued to cough for quite a few weeks.

Loooooove the tamiflu.

K

I don't know if i have h1n1. Last Wed I woke up with a scratchy throat. I didn't feel great, but I didn't feel horrible. Saturday I started running a fever (100-101), headache, still had the sore throat, achy, and exhausted. I'm still having those symptoms. I got up and changed the sheets today and then had to take a three hour nap. I don't feel well, but I'm not horrifically sick or anything. I assume I'm probably contagious until no fever? I don't know if this is h1n1 or just some other virus floating around. Any thoughts?

I had something awful at the beginning of September. I don't know what it was, but it didn't feel like anything I've ever had before lol

Phase 1: severe headache (if one symptom freaked me out enough to go to a doc, that was it), exhaustion (spent probably 90% of the day for a week in bed), muscle/joint pain, and my skin hurt like I had a fever (didn't register one though). I had just a hint of nausea and very slight sore throat.

Phase 2: Everything started to let up a little for a couple days (after a week).

Phase 3: Evening fevers (over 103). Started tapering off at about day 8 or 9.

I never got the runny nose, sneezing, cough, or crud in the chest. Sometime in that second week I had some uncomfortable chest pressure (could have been indigestion though lol). It was another week after the fever before I started to get back to normal.

My 2yo & 5yo got sick that last week I was getting back to normal. It was pretty much the same except they started out with fever, weren't nearly as exhausted (or in as much pain...headache/aches, hard to tell though), and they did get the cough & chest crud. Their fevers/symptoms lasted 7-8 days, the cough a bit longer.

My son.

The ER (in a suburb of Houston) said they weren't even testing for H1N1 except by request. I requested as we have some immunocompromised issues. It was flu, but not H1N1. They treat it the same anyway.

We were Rx'ed tamiflu but my son was not able when the symptoms were bad to eat enough to take the tamiflu (I hear it is realliy bad on tummies).

I treated the fever and symtpoms.

It started like allergies. Watery eyes, sneezing. He was going to class with me last Thursday and we stopped for allergy meds. Class was 5:00. By 7:30, his fever was 102.5. Between the Walgreens where I got the thermometer and the ER, it went up to 103.5. The highest I caught it was 104.

He looked the worst I had EVER seen him (he's 14.5), slept, oozed and ached. The ER told us to expect it to take at least a week to get close to normal. He still tires easily, naps often and goes to bed early. The fever and the congestion related issues are dissipating but a cough is settling in.

If the others were going to get it, I would have preferred concurrent rather than consecutive. Too late for that now.

I can't afford to get it, so I am praying!

i'm fairly certain we had it.

There were confirmed cases at dd1's school. She started with a headache, slight cough, and felt like she had a fever (her words) but didn't actually have a fever. Occassionally she had an upset stomach, sore throat or headache. She coughed quite a bit and had a runny nose.

About three day, I started to feel unwell, went in and got tamiflu. Felt like i had about a 5% case of the flu for 4 of the 5 days of tamiflu - the stuff was such a miracle. When dd2 started to get sick, she also went on tamiflu.

They've both continued to cough for quite a few weeks.

Loooooove the tamiflu.

K

WHAT!!!!! I thought high dose D was an alternative that is just as good as tamiflu and that is not what you did??? Really curious about this.

My symptoms sound a lot like your DDs. I did extra D and antioxidants and raw garlic.