Menu

PSATs - do they NEED to put down their SSN?

I finally saw the actual cover page on the back of the practice test the school gave out, and there is a place to fill in you SSN #. Not only are we not in the habit of giving it out to anyone except the IRS but it's another thing for my kids to have to memorize this week (along w/ the homeschool code). Does anyone know if this needs to be filled out?

I believe it's optional. Ds left it blank both times he took the PSAT. He also left it blank on the SAT and the ACT. Only now are we putting Ds's SSN on his college applications... I read somewhere that they do use the SSN to match up incoming test scores with applications, but hopefully they can do this easily enough with Ds's birthdate and address.

I believe it's optional. Ds left it blank both times he took the PSAT. He also left it blank on the SAT and the ACT. Only now are we putting Ds's SSN on his college applications... I read somewhere that they do use the SSN to match up incoming test scores with applications, but hopefully they can do this easily enough with Ds's birthdate and address.

They can. Dd#1 didn't have it on her scores, but we had it on her transcript & apps; they got it all put together. (I always marvel at what their file room must look like---Hugemongous!)