Menu

baby name poll ...

We are expecting ds#4, and would like baby name opinions from people we can ignore without offending :). What do you think of the name Rand? We would probably name him Christopher Rand and call him Rand.

Concerns:

1. Are people going to call him Randy - don't really like that name.

2. If you or your dh is a Wheel of Time fan, is it cheesy to pick a name from the book?

3. Is it a pain to call a child by their middle name?

Thanks for the opinions.

Summer

We are expecting ds#4, and would like baby name opinions from people we can ignore without offending :). What do you think of the name Rand? We would probably name him Christopher Rand and call him Rand.

Concerns:

2. If you or your dh is a Wheel of Time fan, is it cheesy to pick a name from the book?

Thanks for the opinions.

Summer

Answers: When someone calls him Randy, your response is that his name is Rand. My FIL used a nickname for DD10's name before I had even been wheeled to the Recovery Room -- DH told him that her name was 'Matilda' not Mattie.....on the few occasions that folks have used the nickname, we have politely corrected them and it has not been a problem.

I don't think it's cheesy to pick any name that you like as long as there is nothing offensive about the name.

I have friends who for 30+ years now have called their children by their middle name -- after about 2 days of it, that becomes the child's name and it is not a big deal.

BTW - as long as your last name is not McNally, I say go for it - Rand is a cool name!:001_smile:

1. Yes, some people will call him Randy.

2. Not cheesy, but some folks are going to think that! lol (But you can never control what people are going to think!)

3. Yes, it is a pain to call a child by their middle name AT TIMES. My hubby goes by his middle name, always has. It actually is sometimes helpful. When someone calls asking for him by his first name, I immediately know the relationship (stranger). But filling out forms is sometimes aggravating, or explaining it to others. Day to day though, it is not a problem.

By the way, I like Christopher way more than Rand. Christopher Rand sounds like first and last names rather than a middle name. Might be a bit confusing. JMO!

Susu

Yes, it is a PAIN to go by a middle name. Believe me when I tell you this. It is why both of my dc use their first names. My vote would be to go with Rand [insert some other name here].

Although I'm not crazy about "Rand." It sounds so nasally, KWIM? However, if you decide to go with it, I'll love it for your sake. :-)

Concerns:

Thanks for the opinions.

Summer

1)People might. That would irritate me too.

2)My husband got a big old grin on his face when I told him that. So dorky fantasy novel people think it's awesome. ;) My husband was named Conor from the book Trinity. I think it's a great way to pick a name.

3)My sister feels strongly that you should name a kid what you intend to call him. She has a permanent nickname. But others, I'm sure, will disagree. If I were going to call him Rand, I would just name him Rand.

1. I like Rand. I knew a guy named Rand when I was a kid. His "real" name was Randolph, but he always went by Rand.

2. I do think using the middle name as the primary name can be mildly annoying, but only to you. I don't think it's a deal breaker.

I think Christopher Rand is a great name.

You get to name him whatever you want--one of the perks of parenting!:D

That said, I'm not fond of names that have no depth, no meaning--even names from books often have intentionality based on their meaning (think of the characters from Scarlet Letter). Does Rand actually have a meaning in the book?

I'm partial to Christopher because I have one!

As far as using middle names, I have a friend who only uses her middle name--I didn't even know her first name for the longest time! The only time it was a pain was when she was in an activity that had a roster--like athletics, school, competitions, etc. Not a big deal.

Concerns:

Thanks for the opinions.

Summer

Not crazy about the name. But that doesn't matter. Once you name him that he will become that and within a short time you won't be able to think of him as anything else.

If you don't like Randy, just tell people...his name is Rand. However, when he is grown he may decide on his own to let people call him Randy.

I think it is fine to take a name from a favorite movie or book.

Going by a middle name is a pain. I grew up being called a nickname from my middle name. And my last name that I used growing up wasn't my legal name. I hated that whole thing.

Btw, I love the name Christopher. Good Strong Name.

My comments in blue

Concerns:

Yes

I don't know this book. First thing I though of was Rand McNally. Mapmakers.

For the parents, no. For anyone else, probably.

Thanks for the opinions.

Summer

I like the name Rand. But I probably read too much Wheel of Time.

I wouldn't like people calling him Randy either. You could simply tell people not to call him Randy.

I've known lots of people that go by their middle name rather than their first name. The only people that I know that had a problem with it are older people who went to religious schools, where the teachers refused to allow them to use anything but their "given" first name. I don't know if that's still a problem today.

I don't know about the name Rand. To me, it seems shortened from Randy or Randall or whatever. And I do think people are going to call him longer names at times. *I* would tend to ask, "oh, is that short for Randall?" not wanting to call a person by an intimate nickname without being invited formally to do so.

And I like using middle names...I tend to call children by their first and middle name anyway. But when I was considering names for my son, the choices were Benjamin Tyler, Jeffery Alan Tyler, etc. I knew I wanted to call him Tyler, but I was looking for a more traditional and formal first name.

I think Christopher Rand is a fine name, but I would guess it was someone's first and last name, not first and middle name. When you look at Christopher Michael, in contrast, you would guess it was first and middle though Michael COULD be a last name.

Anyway, so definitely not my choice because I'm not sure of Rand, I do think you're going to have an issue with people wanting to lengthen it, and because it seems more like a last name than a given name.

However, I think you SHOULD do anything you want and everyone that matters will come around in time :)

1) People might. You included. My mom insisted she would never shorten my name to Kay. She didn't even last a year. LOL But it might not bug you once you see him. 2) No, it isn't cheese to pick a name from a favorite book. 3) My brother is called by his middle name and always has been. He shares my dad's first name. He has only ever had it be a problem one time. It was in middle school and it wasn't a problem with his name so much as a jerk teacher who just wanted to be difficult. As an adult, my brother has been known to reverse his name order when necessary to make it simpler. I don't think it's more difficult.

FWIW, I love the name Rand. I also love the name Brand (think Goonies).

Good luck!

My uncle and cousin use their middle names. Their first name is a family name that is just bad imo, so they go by their middle names there has never been an issue with it. People will call him Randy, he will learn early to correct them (my dd has to do the same thing with her name). I don't think it is cheesy to pick a name from a book. I don't particularily like the name Rand, it seems like a nickname and not one that will get him taken seriously. I can see him reverting to using his first name when he is an adult kwim. If I saw the name written down somewhere I would think someone got sidetracked writing the name and forgot the last letter. Of course one of the perks of parenting is naming rights, so chose what ever name you love.

Edited by swellmomma

I love the name because I know a brilliant, kind scientist who is Rand.

Who cares about whether a name is from a book? I am Nicole because my mother read Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald when she was pregnant with me. Trust me, if you're not familiar with the book, Nicole Warren was not a very... savory character. My mother is a nutjob, too, but, it doesn't matter. It makes for a good story. I remember a college professor blinking and sort of sputtering in horror when I told him about my name. "What? No. No, that can't be right."

My sister goes by her middle name and has not had any problems as far as I know. And it looks cool, L. Suzanne. C. Rand would be neato.

Some people will make a nickname out of anything LOL. It helps to have older siblings that will correct this until the baby is old enough to correct people himself, though. IME it helps curb the likelihood that friends and relatives will get too comfortable or accustomed to using "Randy" for Rand. It may be a problem later in life, but ... the same can be said for just about any name because (!) some people will make a nickname out of anything ;) As another poster mentioned, the kid may end up preferring the nickname. Mine did :glare:.

Never heard of book. Have a number of friends who named their kids after comic book characters or musicians, so ... my vote is: Not Cheesy.

I think it's a manageable pain. First day of school or sports, ordering checks or opening an account, ... those type of things that are sometimes inconvenient but not prohibitively so. I'd guess that it's probably easier to just name him Rand Christopher if that is what you want to call him. If he decides later in life that he would rather use Christopher, he can elect to do so - even if that's just a simple change to "R. Christopher LastName" at a crossroad in life (moving away from home, getting new job, etc.)

I like that it is uncommon but not weird. You should totally use it :)

BTW - as long as your last name is not McNally, I say go for it - Rand is a cool name!:001_smile:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

But... as has also been suggested, Rand Christopher would be a more convenient option, and I think it actually sounds better than Christopher Rand, as when I pronounce Christopher Rand, the two R sounds blend together and it sounds like one big, long word to me... Christopherrand.

Cat

and I think it's a pain. Some accounts will allow you to set them up in the First Initial - Middle Name - Last Name format. Some won't. So. . . when I try to pay a bill or call to question something, I honestly don't know which name to tell the company. For instance, he can be registered as "Mark Thomas Jones," "M. Thomas Jones," "Thomas Jones," "Mark Jones," "Mark T. Jones," or "M. T. Jones."

One lovely mailing list messed the whole thing up and we're now receiving lots of mail addressed to: "Mthomas Jones." Yes, it's true.

I didn't know dh when he was in school, but I can imagine it was a mild headache each year having to start all over with new teachers, friends, etc. who were reading his name on a roster.

If there's any way around it, I would put the name you want to use in the front. Even if it changes the flow. That's what we did with our children so they would avoid this.

JMHO

If you love the name Rand, go ahead and name him that. It doesn't matter where it came from.

Two of my four boys go by their middle names, and it we haven't had any problems (a few minor inconveniences). They have learned to answer to either name when they are new somewhere (doctor, dentist, sports, etc.).

This is my DH's boss' name, first and last, and he's kind of a jerk, so to me the name is forever tainted. :tongue_smilie: I tend to agree with the posters who recommend you name him what you intend to call him, and don't mess with initials first. However, it's your baby, and you guys go ahead and name him as you see fit. I am sure I would scandalize others here with the names we have, and those we considered! :D

I have a friend who's adult (40) brother is named Rand. He was called Randy growing up, but laid down the law in adulthood about returning to just Rand. It does seem a bit affected to me to call him Rand, especially since I had always known him (college) as Randy. But do what you want.

My friend chose Rand for her son's middle name.

I have an unusual name and really dislike it. I tried to start going by my middle name, Elizabeth, in college, but gave up. Rand is a bit more dignified, though. I do not enjoy going into maturity as "Misty."

my .02 - I have two neices, my sister calles them by nicknames of their middle names. I call them by their first names, because I like those better (Faith and Grace). WHen she objects, I remind her that they are the names that SHE gave them. In other words, be prepared for some family to call him by his first name.

I think nicknames are different, and that you can control those to a certain extent.

I like the name Rand, but it makes Randy VERY easy (I tend to want to put an "e" sound at the end of baby names.

Concerns:

I would never call someone a name they didn't tell me was their name. If he was introduced as Rand, I would call him Rand.

I have a child named from a certain movie after a certain goblin king so I think it's absolutely cool to name your child a name from a book.

I have known a few people that go by their middle names and it was never really an issue (one being an ex). I'm not sure on the practical stuff like bills and the like, but it never seemed to be a big issue.

I don't care for the name Rand. I think people will call him Randy.

And, I've been going by my middle name for 35 years and it's not really a pain at all. My DL has my first initial, middle name, last name. No one ever calls me by my first name (because they'd die a swift and certain death if they did).

But, he's your child; name him as you wish. :001_smile:

My son is called by variation of his middle name - he's a third. It is a pain at times - like doctor's offices when they have a new nurse or it's a new place. But for the most part it's not a big deal. If he were in school it would be because they are pretty specific about calling them by their name and not a "nickname". My son would never answer to Paul (his name is Paul Everett - hence where Rhett came from) as he's never, ever been called that.

I think the name Rand is cool :)

I have a daughter named Arwyn from LOTR. We picked the name from the book before the movies ever came out. So you can guess my opinion on that one ;)

I have gone by my middle name my entire life. I never ever used my first name. When I got married, I dropped my first name and kept my last which felt more "mine". Now my middle name IS my first name. Anyhow, your son will unlikely change his name when he gets married (though I had friends who took each other's names. Kinda cool). Just thought I'd give you my experience.

I only have one child who goes by their middle name. I wish I would have flipped the names even though he is named after his dad.

I think it's a pain. Some accounts will allow you to set them up in the First Initial - Middle Name - Last Name format. Some won't. So. . . when I try to pay a bill or call to question something, I honestly don't know which name to tell the company. For instance, he can be registered as "Mark Thomas Jones," "M. Thomas Jones," "Thomas Jones," "Mark Jones," "Mark T. Jones," or "M. T. Jones."

If there's any way around it, I would put the name you want to use in the front. Even if it changes the flow. That's what we did with our children so they would avoid this.

JMHO

I very much agree with this. I have always been called by my middle name (actually a shortened version of my middle name)---parents never used my first name. While I don't dislike my first name, it is usually mispronounced and misspelled, so I don't like using it. Credit cards are in my middle name, but there are things (health insurance for one) that have to be in my first name. It really is a pain and it sometimes causes confusion.

I do like Rand, but I would put it first.

1. No, I don't think so. We had a friend named Rand, and it wasn't changed.

2. N/A

3. Yes for paperwork reasons and endless explanations, but that's just mho. If I wanted to do that with my kid's name, I would definitely do it and not worry about anyone else.

Summer, I love YOUR name. :D

1. No, I don't think so. We had a friend named Rand, and it wasn't changed.

2. N/A

3. Yes for paperwork reasons and endless explanations, but that's just mho. If I wanted to do that with my kid's name, I would definitely do it and not worry about anyone else.

Summer, I love YOUR name. :D

Thank you! I hated it when I was little - just wanted a normal name like everyone else but don't mind it now.

Concerns:

Just thought I would put in my 2 cents worth.

1. maybe

2. Do you care if people think it is cheesy? One thought...will it kind of be a dated name since the books are popular now i.e. are other kids named Rand but won't be in 10 years because the popularity of the books wane. I think Rand sounds ok as a name but since it is an unusual name, how many times will he have to spell it for people?

3. I don't really understand this. If I like a name that much I would just make it their first name.

Josephine

Working in the healthcare billing field, I can say it is a HUGE pain when using different names. (Having the same name as the father is a mess too). If you are going to call him Rand then use it as his first name. I like unusual names so I like Rand. Since you prefer Rand and will using this as his name why would you not want to use it as his first name? In the day to day, I don't think it is a problem if you do choose it as a middle name but on documents, forms, etc it can be more of hassle. I would personally never do it.

I think there are trends in names that come from movies, books etc and while I am not big on trendy names it is a common practice. How many Ariel's are out there now after the Little Mermaid? KWIM?

My vote is for Rand Christopher (or whatever middle name you like):001_smile:

Molly

I go by my middle name. One brother and one sister go by their middle names (the other two go by their first names). My dd goes by her middle name. It has never been a problem. When I fill out forms, I fill it out with my first name and middle initial as requested. I tell my Dr. and other professionals of that sort that my name is _____________ but I go by "Jean". They will usually put "Jean" in parentheses on my chart and have never had trouble calling me by my middle name and billing the insurance by my first name. And yes, I know it is a telemarketer or the Drs. office calling if someone asks for me by my first name.

I did have a tiny bit of trouble with teachers accepting my middle name in the two years I went to American public school. Since I don't plan on enrolling my dd in American public school, that shouldn't be a problem! In university, I did as I do for my Dr. - I answer to my first name at the first roll call but tell them "I go by 'Jean'". I suppose if they insisted on calling me by my first name I could have handled it. After all, its not like they were friends or family.

I have both names on my checks and the bank accepts checks made out to either of my names. In fact, they accept checks made out to my dh's nickname because we've put his full name on his checks, followed by AKA nickname.

He probably will get Randy, but if you insist on the proper name from day one, people will get used to it. (Although I think of Rand as being a unit of currency.)

It is cheesy, but so what? If you like it, do it!

No, I don't think it's too much of a pain. Although I'd simply use the chosen name as a first given name. The only reason I'd use it for the middle name would be if the original order spelt out something. (Eg Angeline Shania Smith spells ASS so I would reverse the order and use the middle name as an everyday name)