Menu

Poetry resource?

MamaSheep

I'm looking for a poetry resource that teaches basic poetry forms (couplet, quatrain, limerick, haiku, etc.) and terminology (rhyme, meter, subject, theme, imagery, metaphor, etc.).

What I'd really like is a short blurb about either a term or a form along with an example of a poem that clearly demonstrates the item in question and then instructions or commentary about using it in your own poetry writing.

There MUST be something like this out there somewhere, and I'm guessing this has been discussed here before, but I haven't been able to turn anything up with a search and I'm starting to feel like I'm using the wrong search terms or something.

A web site or other free resource would be ideal, but I could get an inexpensive book about the basics of poetry if someone knows of one. I do own "Favorite Poems Old and New", which has some wonderful poetry in it that I could use for samples.

Dd is about to begin a "study" of poetry in the Oak Meadow materials we're using. She is definitely a poetic kind of child and I have to admit that I was hoping for a little more from OM regarding poetry instruction. It just basically has you read poetry to your child and then choose one every few days for her to copy and illustrate. Also, you do choose a few to memorize. But I think both of my kids could enjoy a little more depth in our discussion of poetry than "oh that one is funny" or "what does that even mean anyway". I'd like to offer them some tools. In our mornings we have a "word play" time together in which we are discussing various elements of language arts from parts of speech to syllabication--whatever I think they will find useful. I'm thinking I'll start using this time once a week to study poetry. I mentioned poetry to dd the other day and she wanted to know what a "Poet Tree" was. She was disappointed when I told her poetry just meant poems (she knows the word, I guess it just processed funny). So she decided we should make a Poet Tree out of brown paper on one of the walls and make leaves with poems on them to hang on it. I think that's a really good idea, but I'd like to discuss elements of the poems (as discussed above) as we hang them on there.

Any suggestions?

Well, given her age, I might lean towards A Child's Introduction to Poetry. It doesn't include all of the elements you're looking for, but it *does* give some clear yet accurate, kid-friendly explanations for a number of types of poetry followed by some nice selections that illustrate that particular type.

For the future, you might look at the Poetry Primer followed by The Grammar of Poetry from Logos School. I wouldn't use them for a 2nd or 3rd grader though...

Our library has the book A Child's Introduction to Poetry which comes with a CD. It explains and has samples, but not instructions per se.

http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Introduction-Poetry-Mountains-Battles/dp/1579122825/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255140004&sr=8-1

I also have a workbook I really like: Writing Poetry:

http://www.amazon.com/Poetry-Writing-Peggy-Hapke-Lewis/dp/1557084106/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255140070&sr=1-1

Here are some links I have:

http://www.theteacherscorner.net/lesson-plans/writing/poetry/

Good stuff!

Ok,of these options the MCT materials and the Child's Introduction book seem to be most along the lines of what I was hoping for. I have a couple of questions if you'd be willing to indulge me.

I LOVE the look of the MCT stuff (though it's a little hard to tell from the samples), but I am concerned about price. I don't know that I can really do $50 right now for both the student and teacher books. Maybe for next year, but I'd kind of like to start sooner than that. Would it work to just have either the student book or the teacher manual but not both? If so, which would you suggest? What's in each?

Child's Introduction is more my price range and does address at least some of what I want in an orderly fashion that would make my life easy. Do I understand correctly that the CD contains all of the poems in the book, but only the poems and not the narrative about them from the book? Or does it contain the whole book, or a different selection of poems?

I LOVE the look of the MCT stuff (though it's a little hard to tell from the samples), but I am concerned about price. I don't know that I can really do $50 right now for both the student and teacher books. Maybe for next year, but I'd kind of like to start sooner than that. Would it work to just have either the student book or the teacher manual but not both?

You absolutely need only the teacher manual. The teacher manual is identical to the student book, except it has little gray bubbles with suggested things to point out or talk about inobtrusively on the student pages. Then there's a section at back with suggested activities and a few more poems. You can snuggle up on the sofa and read it together.

That book is so rich! The author talks so enthusiastically about poetry it's almost impossible not to get swept up in it. I've felt more excited about poetry since reading it! Language of the Hemispheres would be great to do with a poetic 7yo.

You absolutely need only the teacher manual. The teacher manual is identical to the student book, except it has little gray bubbles with suggested things to point out or talk about inobtrusively on the student pages. Then there's a section at back with suggested activities and a few more poems. You can snuggle up on the sofa and read it together.

That book is so rich! The author talks so enthusiastically about poetry it's almost impossible not to get swept up in it. I've felt more excited about poetry since reading it! Language of the Hemispheres would be great to do with a poetic 7yo.

Thank you so much, this may be just the thing for us.

ETA: New question, though. About how long is this book?

Thank you so much, this may be just the thing for us.

ETA: New question, though. About how long is this book?

Hm. I think about seven chapters? You could go through it quickly, or go more slowly and savor. There are activities suggested - we didn't do all the suggested creative ones as my dd balked at the actual writing a poem part (we did do a few). She's more mathy than poetic. But she still had a lot of fun reading it, and now can identify things like eye rhyme and assonance and tell an iamb from a dactyl - I figured I'd ease her into the more hands-on stuff when we get to Building Poetry, which will probably be next year. Even though we've finished reading it, I am thinking of doing some of the poetry analysis in the teacher section at the back with her here and there over the year to keep it fresh.

I also second MCT "music of the Hemispheres". TM only. Also, If it goes really well, don't be afraid to move on to the next book, "building poetry".

When I did "M of the H" with my boys I was like "OMG! If I had been taught poetry with this I would have loved and understood it!". If your kid really gets into it... go forward!

Plus resale value is good. As they are almost impossible to find used. I would say, half the people keep the books after using them. :001_smile:

Thanks. This may be just what we needed.

I love poetry. My mother loved poetry and shared that with us informally as I was growing up. It's such a rich and varied art form I could never see why some people seem to loathe it so much. But I suppose if the first introduction you really had to poetry was some stuffy high school English teacher shoving Shakespeare's Sonnets down your throat and you didn't understand the language very well it would be a bit off-putting. I want to share poetry with my kids, though, and I do a little bit informally like my Mom did, but I think dd especially would love to know more about the subtleties that make it art, and ds would really appreciate the structural forms that are a bit like word puzzles.