Menu

Children in Public School

Guest jayr74

Guest jayr74

I want to first thank everyone on the forum. Reading through all the post has been a glimpse into the mind of so many dedicated people. I am new to The WTM and classical education. My children are still in public school while my wife and I play all the What if? games about homeschooling. I appreciate the wonderful resource that I have found in this site. How am I able to use the WTM if my children are still in school? Thank You, In his Grip. Jason

One word...afterschooling! There is a whole board here dedicated to families who, for many different reasons, have their dc in ps. But they supplement in the summers, on weekends and in the afternoons using recs from WTM and elsewhere to make their dc's education the very best it can be. One of my closest girlfriends is an amazing afterschooler as a matter of fact!

Good luck and welcome to the board!

I'm an afterschooler, for now ;-). This is my second year. We do history twice and science one per week, WTM style. For history, I narrate to them from Story of the Word (SOTW), then they narrate back. I also give them blackline maps (http://www.knowledgequestmaps.com/) to color or label and we get activities from library books. Last year we did an ancient Egyptian feast. For science, Mudpies to Magnets is WTM-recommended and has great activities. The kids really enjoy it. We just did the volcano this afternoon.

For math, I just give them a little extra work to build their skills. DD7 is working on his times tables at home, but I don't think they've started at school. When DD7 has creative writing assignments from school, he narrates what he'd like to say, I write it down, then he copies what I've written. This is similar to the approach recommended for the grammar stage.

This can be accomplished in an extra hour to hour and a half per day, which I think is reasonable. We don't get to it every day, and I had a week or two here and there when we did nothing. They definitely get in plenty of playtime. They're playing video games as I type this ... :D