Menu

x-post... dd6 struggling with letters

momto2Cs

She can sing her alphabet, no problem. If I verbally go through the alphabet with her, she knows all the sounds the letters make. However, she cannot recognize most of them (or numbers for that matter) in print. She knows a few, but for most of them will just say "I don't know". She has had her vision tested, and can track, etc. just fine.

Is this just a lack of attention, stubborness, or could it be something else? She'll be seven in a few months, and while I don't expect her to be reading necessarily, I would like her to be able to identify letters!

I second the recommendation for the Leap Frog videos. You can also use a magnetic alphabet and have her say the sound of the letter as she pulls it down, to engage her more physically, so she would touch the A, and as she pulls it down on the board/desk/refrigerator say the short-a sound "a, a, a." Line them up in alphabetical order at first. If she doesn't recognize most of the letters, you can line them up for her at the beginning of the session, just say "A says a" as you put the A in line, then "B says b" and when she has had some practice, scramble the letters and let her alphabetize them. You could also get the Leap Frog fridge phonics magnets, and let her play with that for awhile before having her learn to alphebetize and make words.