Menu

what to do about math...in a good way

dcjlkplus3

Okay, I have two girls, they are different, no surprises there.

BJU Math has worked well for my oldest (3rd grade). We don't do a lot of manipulatives and this is the first year I've bought the TM. It has some face review worksheets I printed out (mostly addition up to 18). Her little sister (just started 1st grade) is doing the fact review sheets, and them going to her BJU math1 book and doing addition sentences with pictures and answers up top about 6 or so.

I don't like the idea of switching curriculums, but could that be an answer?

How do I know if she should be at a higher level, or if a different curriculum is the answer?

You must have left some of your thoughts out of your post, because it wasn't totally clear what your problem is. In any case, you haven't said you're displeased with your current math (BJU), only that you don't like the thought of them both working on the same level. Why not let her do the chapter tests in her grade 1 math, move forward till she stumbles, and put her into grade 2? Of course she can do the gr 1 review sheets. RS has 1st graders do 4 digit addition, so that's nothing amazing. But that doesn't mean she's ready to go do the whole shibang.

Sorry.

My concern isn't her being on the same level as her sister, so much as it is that "her" math is at too low of a level for her, if she can do some of her sister's math that easily. I don't want her to be bored and start NOT liking math.

BJU is a spiralling math (I think) so it SEEMS like it would be okay to just skip a level, but I don't know if that is the answer.

I'd move her ahead in her own book. If there are chapter tests/reviews I'd assign those for daily work until she gets stuck. Then start her at the beginning of that chapter.

This is great advice.

A second option is to simple double up on the # of assignments she completes in a day. All of my children (thus far) went through a stage where they were capable of moving ahead quicker and simply did 2-3 days worth of assignments in a single day. At other points, we slowed down greatly (usually to develop mental math skills). HTH.