Menu

scheduling work

I am trying to decide if it is better to a/ give my dd a list of assignments and she does #1 and moves to #2, and so on until done. Or b/ give a timed schedule where there are classes, and she works on a subject for a 50 minute class time, and whatever isn't finished, is homework.

In both cases she would have a list of assignments that need to be finished each week.

The benefit to the timed schedule is that I can know when she will need me since I am also teaching two other children that need me too. But she says it is distracting to have to stop an assignment in the middle and finish it later.

Any ideas if one way is better than the other for those that have been there?

We do time slots because I have found I am totally incapable of judging how long an assignment is going to take. Time slots solves that problem. When things are done, they are done. We found we needed to work with generous amounts of time, though. I also almost never stick with the slots on any given day. Towards the end of high school, my older one's time was so chopped up with CC classes, gymnastics, and peacewalking that he wound up with a list that he worked on whenever he wasn't doing something else more important (like sleeping LOL).

-Nan

I try to model the real world (or at least the next step like college) for my dc. In life, a boss never gave me time slots to work on projects. I had deadlines, but not time daily time slots. In college, classes were at times, but when I actually did the work and studying, was up to me. My dc hear me say, "Baby steps to adulthood".:) However, if you think of a situation when they are on predetermined time periods and you want them prepared for that, then you might consider that.

thanks for the responses.

Another question. I make a list of assignments for the week. I generally expect her to finish (or work towards in the case of a project) each subject each day. However, I only check work on Fridays or Saturdays.

At this age, would it be better to just assign the work and let her figure out how to do it within the time period she has? For example, do all math and history one day. And then the next do science and writing.

Or is it better to have the habit of doing a little bit daily. Since in most school situations you would have homework that is due each day.

Thanks for the help.