Menu

Haven't been pregnant in 7 years and don't have ANYTHING baby related! Help!

We thought we were done having kids. Honestly, we were done. But, dh had a different idea recently and really wanted another child, so here I am 8 weeks pg. :) (instead of 3 years, he waited 7!) (jk) But, I'm overwhelmed and anxious because we don't have anything baby related. I mean, we are starting over. No crib, swing, bassinet, toys, bottles, etc., etc. I'm overwhelmed and anxious because we don't have a lot of extra spending money at all to buy anything. We have to be creative for our present children's clothes and needs. I've thought of resale shops and will likely start there first. I guess I'm just looking for ways to get what we need. Any ideas? We don't really have a large circle of friends anymore. We left our church after 6 years and have just now found a new church home, but we don't know anybody yet. Most of our friends were at our old church and they just dropped us pretty much after we left. Family is so-so, but not "good" at buying useful things, if you kwim? Anyway, we are probably looking at having to do this alone for the most part, so how much $$$ do you think we're looking at if we have to buy everything, mostly gently used for the obvious things? I just need something to jumpstart my planning. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and blessed, but I don't see how unless it's all the Lord. :) (which I'm not leaving out at all!) Thanks!

Congratulations!!!! What wonderful news!

If I were you, I'd go straight to Freecycle or Craigslist and post a Wanted post. People love to give baby stuff, because it's such a waste otherwise. If you lived near me, I'd give you our old crib! And anyway, babies don't need as much as we always imagine they will (though I guess that depends on your parenting philosophy--we nursed, coslept, etc.). Start hanging out on your local Freecycle and you should be able to get just about everything you need.

When we had ours we were in the same situation of no near family or friends that would/could pass things down. Yard sales were the mother load of baby things! Esp. if you have a military base you can shop on since they have limited space & weight limits for moving.

What happy news! We had a twenty year lapse between number 2 and number 3!

Someone posted here that babies do not need much and she is right! Buy just what you need for whatever season/temps -- and don't over-buy. Definitely go to consignment shops -- ask the shop owner to contact you when stuff that will be of particular interest to you comes in -- she makes out on fast turnover and she builds a loyal customer in you.

Craigslist, yard sales, Mothers of pre-schoolers sales, MOMS (mothers of multiples) sales, IKEA (we had three IKEA cribs at the same time).

Be creative -- and congrats -- Enjoy!:001_smile:

First off - Congratulations!!! How exciting to be expecting a new baby.:)

I second Freecycle and yard sales. I've always had more success at yard sales in upscale neighborhoods because they seem more interested in getting rid of stuff than making money.

At my church, we give a baby shower for the first baby or for the first baby born after the mom has joined. It doesn't matter if it's their 10th baby - if it's their first with us, they get a shower. Perhaps as you begin to show more someone will step up to the plate and plan a shower for you.

I noticed that you user name is Dianne-TX. If you live in the DFW area, I have stuff I could give you...and it is like new. There is 5 years between my 8th and 9th and we thought we were done so we have had to buy all new stuff and now we think we are done again so I'm not keeping any of it.

Susan in TX

We had 5 years between #2 and #3, and I had thought we were done, so I had nothing either.

I got a barely used crib and mattress from one of my Mom's friends who kept it for when her granddaughter visited (which was next to never). I think my Mom paid $100 for it. I put the crib in my room next to the bed, so I had no need of a bassinet.

We got a used changing table for about $20. I used it for the first 6 months, then it became a storage unit in the closet.

We got a swing for $20 used, the baby never took to it.

I got a new Boppy type pillow for $20. I couldn't live without that thing! I breastfeed and my arms get tired holding the baby up. (My kids tend to nurse for long periods of time).

I see a lot of good baby items on Craigslist. I've actually had a lot of luck getting items there, although I admit I didn't get any baby gear on Craigslist.

Check out your local consignment shops. I've actually seen some really nice things in there. I used to consign all my baby clothes because my Mom bought the babies very nice clothes and they never wore them out.

Congratulations to you btw!

Thanks, everyone. You're helping me to calm down and get a game plan going. I should know after two dc and be all the wiser when it comes to buying stuff, but I'm getting overwhelmed at the same time, esp. because of lack of $$$. But, I know I can do it cheaply and hit garage sales and resale shops. I like the idea of the upscale neighborhood sales. Around here, neighborhoods have community wide garage sales, so you can hit a lot of sales in one weekend instead of having to travel around and find them. I will post a wanted ad everywhere I can think of! :) Thanks, everyone!

Susan in TX-- Yes, I am in TX, but in the Houston area. :( Too bad. But, thanks for offering.

Congratulations!!!

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't be so quick to fall into the Babies R Us "buy me" trap again.

BUT, the one thing I would splurge on because it would be an investment in my recovery and health would be a good walking/jogging/bike-trailer combo stroller. If you have it, check out Play it Again Sports or other sporting goods consignment/resale store.