Menu

Christmas Present Ideas

I'm at a loss this year for what to get my kids for Christmas, and I'm looking for ideas from the Hive.

My older daughter, 13, usually gets one "big" present and a few smaller. So, I'm thinking Nintendo DS (or DSi, or DS lite? I really don't know the difference, so if you do please chime in) because she has said she wants one, a gift certificate to Borders (because she reads more than any human I've ever known), a pair of boots (again, she has been asking) and some small stocking-stuffer things. I thought it might be fun to include an "event" present of some sort, but I don't know what.

My 6 year old DD is another story entirely. She loves stuffed animals, but I've put a moratorium on them in my house or I'll have to put an addition on the back just to accommodate them! I know she wants a Barbie something or other, but that's all I know. Anyone have any suggestions for a 6 year old girl? And please don't ask me what she likes, because I really don't know. She doesn't even know! She did say she wants a Nintendo DS, but I don't know that's appropriate for a 6 year old and a 13 year old. Or is it?

Please help! I want to start buying a thing or two a paycheck now and get it out of the way.

My 6 year old dd really likes craft type things. She also seems interested in a few Playmobil items this year -- they have a pet hospital of some kind that both she and her little brother have been talking about. She is just getting to the age where she doesn't mind clothes as a gift (as long as they aren't the only gift).

My 6 year old dd really likes craft type things. She also seems interested in a few Playmobil items this year -- they have a pet hospital of some kind that both she and her little brother have been talking about. She is just getting to the age where she doesn't mind clothes as a gift (as long as they aren't the only gift).

Pet hospital....she loves animals. I'm looking that up now. Thanks!

We really like passes to places we like to go, or would like go--a local ski & tubing park, ice skating rink, family passes to local museums (many times you can bring friends with them--our kids love that)--whatever your family enjoys--go cart park, bowling, local Y, movies. My kids like gift certificates to get CD's or books that they pick.

One year we got the whole family snowshoeing stuff--snowshoes, poles etc., which has helped with cabin fever and is just plain fun & great exercise.

They also love getting things for hobbies/sports--air rifle pellets, ice skates, fly tying supplies, clothes or accessories for sports they enjoy (you know what they like), card making, scrapbooking, candle making supplies for my daughter, last year we got my son a harmonica w/book on how to play it, because he always thought harmonicas were cool. (This was at Borders with the box sets of book, etc., I think they sell them all year long, but definitely at Christmas.)

We also give each of them an ornament each year (our family tradition) and I keep track of which one they get on which year so when they leave home and have a tree of their own they will have some ornaments to start with.

I also have asked them what they would like, not a list, but when I'm sitting with them at a quiet time and have been surprised by something I have never thought of. (My daughter has a summer birthday and she had always wanted a sun shirt--one with the SPF protection when she's out in the summer for long periods on time at local lakes. I never knew this. I told her brother who didn't know what to get her for her birthday, we shopped together & found one at TJ Maxx for $16.99. My daughter spent all summer telling everyone when she wore the shirt that her brother got her this great shirt.).

Hope this might be of help to you.

Blessings,

Barbara in NH

I have 3 nieces that are 7, 10 and 12. They all 3 have Nintendo Ds and love them! They can play games together so that's good for your kids plus there are a variety of games out there for all ages. My youngest niece played one the other night after church with a friend where she was a wedding planner and loved it!

Another thought...how about an American Girl doll? They are more expensive but I do know there are cheaper versions(I think at Target there is a doll like them)

One year I did craft boxes for my girls with all kind of fun little things in it, that they could carry.

So far-This year my 7 yr. old is getting:

A children's book on how to crochet along with the yarn and hooks.

"Real" ballet slippers w/ ballet book.

A a doll she wants.

A pretty keepsake box to keep her special things that fits under her bed.

An I Spy game

My 5 yr. old is getting:

Ballet slippers

Elenco Electronics Discovery Planet Bug Barn

An ant farm

A loop and loom set

This book: http://www.amazon.com/Enchanted-Dolls-House-Wedding-Johnson/dp/159354197X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255016796&sr=8-2 it has little treasures all through it to (very cool).

A doll she wants.

A pretty keepsake box to keep her special things that fits under her bed.

As for the differences in the game systems, DS is the older heavier system, DSlite is newer and what is everywhere, both can play gameboy advanced games. DSi is the newest of all and does not have the gameboy slot. Instead it has the capability of acting as an MP3, storing and playing music, and has a small camera built in. We have 3 DSlites here that the 3 older ones play and the 3yo can play with help and permission from an older sib (usually Sissy).