Menu

went to first high school back to school night

last night was the back to school night at my dd's school (9th grade). Tons of parents were there. We followed our child's schedule with 10 min. classes and they gave us 5 min. to get to classes (the students get 4 min). Anyway, I was late to Geometry class and I was hoofing it to get there but the teachers told us that it is 1/4 of a mile from one wing of the school to the other and of course all of the parents were getting lost, lots of hallways seemingly going nowhere.

I can see why my dd dislikes her gym teacher, she was such a drip, it was obvious that she did not want to be there. I really liked all of the other teachers, especially her American History teacher. She does not require the students to memorize dates. Instead, she does lots of hands on activities and for example, she told us that for the mid-term that she is giving today, the essay portion is for the student to select either Did America Win the Rev. War or Did England Lose the War and defend their choice. Dd already told me that she will be selecting that England Lost the war . Also teacher told us that the students have to show a chart with advantages and disadvantages that the Colonies had in the war and also the same for England. I really like her method of teaching.

Her biology teacher went to the same college that I did, only different years and he majored in Marine Science while I majored in Geology. English teacher will be spending the entire 3rd term teaching how to write reasearch papers.

Principal was in the halls giving directions to lost parents. It was a fairly good night.

last night was the back to school night at my dd's school (9th grade). Tons of parents were there. We followed our child's schedule with 10 min. classes and they gave us 5 min. to get to classes (the students get 4 min). Anyway, I was late to Geometry class and I was hoofing it to get there but the teachers told us that it is 1/4 of a mile from one wing of the school to the other and of course all of the parents were getting lost, lots of hallways seemingly going nowhere.

I can see why my dd dislikes her gym teacher, she was such a drip, it was obvious that she did not want to be there. I really liked all of the other teachers, especially her American History teacher. She does not require the students to memorize dates. Instead, she does lots of hands on activities and for example, she told us that for the mid-term that she is giving today, the essay portion is for the student to select either Did America Win the Rev. War or Did England Lose the War and defend their choice. Dd already told me that she will be selecting that England Lost the war . Also teacher told us that the students have to show a chart with advantages and disadvantages that the Colonies had in the war and also the same for England. I really like her method of teaching.

Her biology teacher went to the same college that I did, only different years and he majored in Marine Science while I majored in Geology. English teacher will be spending the entire 3rd term teaching how to write reasearch papers.

Principal was in the halls giving directions to lost parents. It was a fairly good night.

Sounds good!

We go next week for my son.

Last night we had a hockey meeting for the school. There were over 110 boys there. There are 800 boys in the school & 5 teams. :blink:

Ds is a goalie and the head of the program said it's good to see him.

:lol: This is hilarious. Year ago, when some friends of ours went to back to school night for their son's junior high, the father later told us that he came back and told his son, "If you are EVER late for class, I don't care." He said that HE was "late" to EVERY class, and the parents were given more time to move between classes than the students. And, as he pointed out, "Chris is so short, he would have to RUN down the hallways just to BE ON TIME, and then, of course, he would get in trouble for RUNNING!" Duh.

It's true. I went to that PS (also in NJ). To get from A-Wing to P-Wing, you do have to run... or be late, and explain to the teacher that your last class is upstairs, your locker is in A-Wing, and this class is in P-Wing. If you make the explanation long-winded enough, they understand. ;)

Glad you had a good night. Hope it works out this year.

...he would have to RUN down the hallways just to BE ON TIME, and then, of course, he would get in trouble for RUNNING!"

The kids in my son's school all run down the hallway until they come upon an open door, then they stop, peek in to see if the teacher sees them, and continue running! Of course, everyone knows they're running because they sound like a herd of elephants.

:D

As I was going through the high school hallways on back-to-school night, all I could think about was how crowded the hallways were, yet the classes had less than half the parents show up. Must be packed during the day.

Our H.S. lets the kids carry backpacks all day, so the location of the locker doesn't matter much.