Menu

chewing with your mouth open

My 10yo has always done this. :ack2: Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do to make it stop? I've made a huge effort not to ruin the vibe at the table by hounding her or embarrassing her, just in case it was a breathing issue and couldn't be helped. I think it's just the way she chews, and that's just not ok for me (or anyone else at the table). Her chewing is noisy and sometimes visually unpleasant:). I would love some suggestions!

I have not allowed my son to ever eat like that. If it were a breathing issue, it seems it would be apparent when the kid was attempting to eat with her mouth shut. If there is a breathing issue, don't you think that should be looked at by a doctor? If not, be clear that it is not acceptable.

I have not allowed my son to ever eat like that. If it were a breathing issue, it seems it would be apparent when the kid was attempting to eat with her mouth shut. If there is a breathing issue, don't you think that should be looked at by a doctor? If not, be clear that it is not acceptable.

Oh I'm clear over and over and over and over. She closes her mouth for 2 minutes and then BAM! there it goes. I can only say close your mouth so many times in one setting. I love saying "(fill in the blank) is not acceptable" but words do not see to keep that mouth closed, neither do threats, heart to hearts etc.

Over the years we've had various health problems, which took time and patience to diagnose, it turns out the breathing was one of many symptoms of Tourettes.

just in case it was a breathing issue and couldn't be helped.

Does she also snore? Does she breathe primarily through her mouth? If you answered yes to either of these, I would get her checked by an ENT. If you say something to her and she tries but is having to hold her breath to do so, I would have her checked by an ENT.

Other than that, yuck, I'm sorry.

Mandy

My 10yo has always done this. :ack2: Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do to make it stop? I've made a huge effort not to ruin the vibe at the table by hounding her or embarrassing her, just in case it was a breathing issue and couldn't be helped. I think it's just the way she chews, and that's just not ok for me (or anyone else at the table). Her chewing is noisy and sometimes visually unpleasant:). I would love some suggestions!

I don't know but if you find out let me know because my dd6 and dh both have that problem. Of course the MIL says he never did it when he lived with her:glare:GLARE!!

My son would eat with his mouth open all the time. I got tired of telling him to eat with it closed, so I what I do now is get his attention and point at my mouth. That gets him to be aware of how he is eating and he will close his mouth. Sometime I have to do it several times, but over time it has become less of an issue.

I agree that a 'sign' would be good (pointing to the mouth or patting under the chin). It would keep the conversation and the table atmosphere pleasant and yet allow you to remind her when she forgets. Also it can work even when you are across the room or at a family get together without calling too much attention to it.

My son would eat with his mouth open all the time. I got tired of telling him to eat with it closed, so I what I do now is get his attention and point at my mouth. That gets him to be aware of how he is eating and he will close his mouth. Sometime I have to do it several times, but over time it has become less of an issue.

yup.

same hing w/ my 12yos.

Teri Maxwell [MOTH] mentioned that they actually sat around eating popcorn watching each other eat --

PRACTICE chewing w/ your mouth CLOSED.

I notice improvement when we do this. But we need to do it more often. :D

I agree that a 'sign' would be good (pointing to the mouth or patting under the chin). It would keep the conversation and the table atmosphere pleasant and yet allow you to remind her when she forgets. Also it can work even when you are across the room or at a family get together without calling too much attention to it.

I like it too!

I've done this casually, but not as my thing.

I'll start in the morning.

I did this. I drove my mother insane.

My problem was allergies. Severe allergies to dust, mold, pollen, dander, just about everything. I literally could choose to either eat with my mouth open or not breathe and chew with my mouth closed. My nose did not move air. I could not breathe that way AT ALL. No amount of threats, talks, or anything else helped. Allergy medicine and moving from that house did.

If this is a problem that could possibly be related to allergies I strongly suggest trying some sort of allergy medicine.

I explained to DD the Elder that it sounds much the same to her if she chews with her mouth open or closed because the sound travels through her bones as well as through the air, so she won't necessarily notice just through hearing. This makes her less self conscious when I remind her to keep her mouth closed while chewing. I give her a "lips closed" sign to draw it to her attention.

I explained to DD the Elder that it sounds much the same to her if she chews with her mouth open or closed because the sound travels through her bones as well as through the air, so she won't necessarily notice just through hearing. This makes her less self conscious when I remind her to keep her mouth closed while chewing. I give her a "lips closed" sign to draw it to her attention.

Thank you, I like your thinking :)

I give the kids 1 reminder, all I say is "lips". If they continue I remove their plate and they can finish their meal when everyone else is done. Sounds mean, but the alternative is me turning into a growling mess. I have certain sensory issues surrounding sound. THe sound of someone eating has caused major problems for me since childhood (getting physically ill, headache from sound etc. sounds weird but for me it is like they did that right into a microphone turned up full blast in my ear drum. Like nails on a chalk board). By the age of 3 they all know the rules keep their mouths shut and that is when I start the 1 reminder, plate removal.

I give the kids 1 reminder, all I say is "lips". If they continue I remove their plate and they can finish their meal when everyone else is done. Sounds mean, but the alternative is me turning into a growling mess. I have certain sensory issues surrounding sound. THe sound of someone eating has caused major problems for me since childhood (getting physically ill, headache from sound etc. sounds weird but for me it is like they did that right into a microphone turned up full blast in my ear drum. Like nails on a chalk board). By the age of 3 they all know the rules keep their mouths shut and that is when I start the 1 reminder, plate removal.

I totally understand your low thresh hold for chewing noises. I remember being a kid and my alcoholic father chewing like a drunk monster at the table. It was like something just snapped inside me. Every since then, that sound makes me feel angry and disgusted.

I think that's why I've kept the firm but gentle attitude so far, because I don't ever want to feel those types of emotions toward my child. It's deep inside me, from a dark time. It's such a bummer thing to have such a distinct (odd) rage trigger, and then have a little sweety, who loves you so much just chopmity chomp :) every darn day, at every meal!

I've tried to tell myself maybe this is Gods way of teaching me grace, and patience. The past set aside- it must improve.

Going through The Goops as a family really helps curb stuff around here. :) We did one page every few days or so together, and they'd laugh all the way through. Then they would start noticing a sib being a Goop and point it out, only to have another sib point out their Goop like behavior. When they're kind with their reminders it's been an amazing manners tool. (A couple of my kids have memorized Table Manners I. for poetry work too.)

Going through The Goops as a family really helps curb stuff around here. :) We did one page every few days or so together, and they'd laugh all the way through. Then they would start noticing a sib being a Goop and point it out, only to have another sib point out their Goop like behavior. When they're kind with their reminders it's been an amazing manners tool. (A couple of my kids have memorized Table Manners I. for poetry work too.)

I love these types of books! I just added it to B&N cart.

Thank you

Also have her checked by an orthodontist.

One of my siblings had a palate that was so narrow, they were unable to breathe through their nose; it was completely unrelated to allergies. They had to get a palate spreader prior to braces.

They had always wondered how people could chew with their mouths closed, or sit there with their mouths closed for extended periods of time.

a

I find this unacceptable and, once children are past about age seven, it's definitely not allowed at the table. Now the boys correct each other if one of them does it. All of DH's family do it and I wasn't going to inflict the experience that I have at my in-laws table on the rest of the world.

ETA: Would it help to set up a shaving mirror in front of her so she can see herself?

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

My 10yo dd tends to do this, and we have worked on it. I believe it is a breathing problem as she also snores. She has a bite problem and has had braces, and will have them again in a couple of years. She seems to chew loudly even when her mouth is closed. It drives her siblings crazy, but she absolutely can't help it.

My 10yo dd tends to do this, and we have worked on it. I believe it is a breathing problem as she also snores. She has a bite problem and has had braces, and will have them again in a couple of years. She seems to chew loudly even when her mouth is closed. It drives her siblings crazy, but she absolutely can't help it.

:iagree:

My youngest has the same problem. The dentist pointed out his huge adenoids on his last bitewing x-ray. If braces don't correct it, we may send him to an ENT.

More on andenoids...

http://www.pedisurg.com/PtEducENT/adenoids.htm

K

Edited by NicksMama-Zack's Mama Too