Menu

H'ween: Haunted Trail Ride ideas?

need some spooktacular ideas for scaring people on a haunted trail ride-- People are going to be paying for it, so we want to give them their money's worth.......

so far, we're thinking of:

moans, groans, ooooos

a very few sporadic shrieks, screams, and painful-sounding yells

a dummy "body" falling down off a branch and swinging via a noose

people in black w/ masks jumping out, circling the trailer, then fleeing w/ a cackle.

it would be seriously creepy to drop a batch of daddy longlegs on the trailer, but that could get into some OTHER problems.....

so no live animals.

what else can we do? the trail ride will not be stopping, just driving around the 3/4 mile route. low budget is good :)

I so don't get it. A trail ride? What are they riding? Bikes?

To me, a trail ride says "horses." Surely you're not going to try to scare people on horseback. ?? There are just two things that scare my horse: Things that move, and things that don't move.

But for my horse, nothing would be more terrifying than a plastic bag.

Here are some ideas we've done in the past....have a 'plant' on the trailer, at some point where the trailer stops to see something creepy, have spooks run out and drag the plant off into the woods. Setting up scenes works well if you have enough help. Maybe a bonfire scene, camping scene, just characters coming out of the dark dressed strangely gets the kids fired up. And of course the maniac with a chainsaw.

Here are some ideas we've done in the past....have a 'plant' on the trailer, at some point where the trailer stops to see something creepy, have spooks run out and drag the plant off into the woods. Setting up scenes works well if you have enough help. Maybe a bonfire scene, camping scene, just characters coming out of the dark dressed strangely gets the kids fired up. And of course the maniac with a chainsaw.

NOW we're talking! yes! more ideas like this! yay!

Ahhhh, I get it. I was sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out horses and haunted trail rides.

When I was in college there was a haunted house production thingy called "Scream in the Dark". One of their best ideas was to plant someone in each group that walked through the house. The plant at some point would be dragged off by some horrific ax murderer type, screaming bloody murder and never to rejoin the group. It worked well because the groups going throught the house were big enough that they didn't all know each other, so it wasn't obvious that the victim was a plant.

LOVED it. I got to be the victim. Nothing like being grabbed by an ax murderer/gorilla/ghost/corpse.

OH NO, Bee beat me to it.

The most terrified I have ever been at a haunted house was actually not "Halloween" related at all. We were walking through a community haunted house that had the predictable scares; masks, goo, bugs, etc. Nothing too extreme because they were expecting kids. However, the really freaky thing was at the end. You thought you were done and on your way out, so your guard was down. They had the front end of a car mounted on some sort of track. You came around the corner in a dark area and all of a sudden the headlights flip on, it comes racing at you (I think it was pushed by big teen boys or something) the horn blares and the tires screech. I almost wet my pants! You know you're inside and there's no way there is really a car there. But instinctually, your body tells you "I'm about to be creamed by a car!"

I don't know how you'd incorporate that into a hayride, but I've never really forgotten that, it was just too realistic.

Ooh, i like that idea. Maybe you could have some one on a bicycle with a really bright flashlight attached to it, come racing towards the side of the trailer at some really dark part of the trail. Also playing the sounds of a train coming really fast and crashing.

Are there trees around? Maybe you could hang lots of string from some branches to make it feel like they are going through spider webs.

Tee hee...just checked back and looked like you guys are having fun with this. Okay, I'll tell you some more 'hits'. Have a teen come out of woods begging for help, 'they're after me', ghouls get her. Haunted baseball game, freaky looking characters playing with fake bones and tossing whatever your imagination can come up with. The Christine car idea is good....got a barn that you could have it facing out of? You could pause the trailer right in front of it to look at something and then the lights come on with horn blaring, engine racing. One year we had a bunch of kids doing a Thriller dance routine. Hilarious. Elvis even showed up. At the beginning of the ride, Ichabod Crane came running up frantically to the trailer telling people they'd better not go....and then later in the ride a headless horseman (actually a horsewoman) rode by. Don't forget about clowns....some folks find them really disturbing. One thing I learned...forget dry ice....too expensive. Fog machine might be good. Good luck. Oh, set up STERN guidelines about how close the spooks can actually get to the trailer. You don't want anyone hurt. I've also been surprised at how lax parents are about young children on the trailer, especially letting them sit on the very front (right behind the hitch). THAT freaks me out. Enough fun. Time for Algebra 2. Shoot.

The most terrified I have ever been at a haunted house was actually not "Halloween" related at all. We were walking through a community haunted house that had the predictable scares; masks, goo, bugs, etc. Nothing too extreme because they were expecting kids. However, the really freaky thing was at the end. You thought you were done and on your way out, so your guard was down. They had the front end of a car mounted on some sort of track. You came around the corner in a dark area and all of a sudden the headlights flip on, it comes racing at you (I think it was pushed by big teen boys or something) the horn blares and the tires screech. I almost wet my pants! You know you're inside and there's no way there is really a car there. But instinctually, your body tells you "I'm about to be creamed by a car!"

I don't know how you'd incorporate that into a hayride, but I've never really forgotten that, it was just too realistic.

I went on a haunted hayride once that had a similar element. We were in a rather dark part of the woods, rather quiet, when suddenly they flipped on a big trucks headlights and hit the horn. All you need is a big truck you can park along the trail and someone to sit inside and hit the lights/horn.