Menu

Does dry shampoo actually work?

Since I got my hair cut shorter, it's more noticeable if I get greasy in between shampoos. I just don't have time to wash it every day!

I'd like to use maybe dry shampoo for the in between days, but does it work? Would also love recommendations on brands that work/do not work!

Edited by HappyGrace

In high school we used to use baby powder if our hair got greasy in between washings. A few months ago my 13yodd used baking soda and it worked for a day.

I think the dry shampoos might just absorb the extra oil from the scalp, but I'm not certain.

Have you tried going no-poo? Since I've stopped using shampoo, my scalp isn't oily at all now.

Bumble makes the best one. It's expensive. Our son has had repeated ear surgeries, and we've experimented with the concept to keep his ears dry.

What I find is that it works. That being said, some people totally flip out when they find out you're not using soap and water on the kid's scalp every day. They are extremely distressed by the concept, and fear that it's "unclean".

Use it if you need to, but don't talk about it with just anyone.

We've used such products in the past with my elderly grandmother, when washing her hair became an ordeal for her. This was after she became quite frail. She was really grateful for the break.

I wish I'd known about it when I was a teen. I had to wash my hair every morning, and sometimes in the afternoon it seemed too oily to me. The dry shampoo would have offered me the reassurance that at least it didn't look oily.

Good grief, I am so thankful for this post. One of my girls is in the shower RIGHT NOW because I said her hair is oily and she must wash it. This is happening with all of my girls.

So, you're saying that they could just sprinkle baby powder on the scalp and then brush it?? What about the smell? When our hair gets oily, it also has a very distintive smell -- got that from my dad actually. Does the baby powder help with that?

Good grief, I am so thankful for this post. One of my girls is in the shower RIGHT NOW because I said her hair is oily and she must wash it. This is happening with all of my girls.

So, you're saying that they could just sprinkle baby powder on the scalp and then brush it?? What about the smell? When our hair gets oily, it also has a very distintive smell -- got that from my dad actually. Does the baby powder help with that?

Yes, it helps the smell. Although I think the baby powder holds off having to wash with shampoo for two extra days max. After that, the hair starts becoming kind of stiff feeling. In my experience. I always sprinkle the powder on my hand, then rub my hands together, then flip my head upside down and massage my hands and fingers into my scalp. Then brush. The point is to get the powder evenly distributed on the scalp, as that is where it will absorb the oil. Then when you brush through the hair, it distributes it throughout.