Menu

Private insurance question

We just found out this afternoon that my dh will be out of work on Friday. While we are still reeling, with the boys and myself sick, I need to think ahead towards the end of the month.

Can anyone recommend a private insurance that is relatively low cost and covers prescriptions? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

My boys and dh are all asthmatics and have maintenance meds that would cost about $800 a month. Ugh.

I've checked into Assurant and will go with them if I don't find anything better.

Oh, and prayers, good vibes, spare mojo, anything you got to give, I'll gladly take! Thanks!

I'd recommend meeting with an independent insurance agent. They'll know the skinny on MANY companies.

When dh was out of work we did this, and our agent told us that the key to keeping costs down was to not get your entire family on one plan. My two youngest boys had a policy with Coventry, my eldest son had his own policy with Humana, and dh and I shared a policy with Humana.

We were all insured for $400 a month. That was $500 less than the Blue Cross estimate and $800 less than the cost of COBRA.

Contact an agent, and good luck!

Contact your local hospitals. Ours is through one of the local hospitals and it's very competitive in price. BCBS was better, but they were VERY hard to get. Any pre-exisiting conditions from the last 10 years and they WILL hold it against you. Even if it was solved 3 years ago:glare:

:grouphug: to you and your family. The two times my dh was unemployed, we went without and relied on the kindness of our Dr's to work with us.

Blessings!

Dorinda

COBRA is subsidized at 65% of your monthly cost for up to 9 months. You only have to pay 35% of the COBRA rate. This can buy you some time to look for a better policy.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.HTML

Look at Q17.

We just got off COBRA after being on it for 6 months. Our bill for COBRA medical and dental was $350 a month.

Louise

I haven't checked into state insurance, Wendy. I will though. The struggling optimist in me thinks that the lines on jobs my dh has WILL pay out. Right now I'm just trying to get through the day without tears or throwing up. :) I'll give cobra another look through too. Things have changed. The last time we cobra-ed it was $1400 a month. Ick!

I agree about state insurance, especially since your kids have some health problems. DS5 was declined insurance last year -- and his only health issue EVER was an infection when he was a newborn, which had no long term consequences. It's tough to get coverage, much less affordable coverage, if you have any pre-existing conditions. Most state plans have a variety of levels based on ability to pay. Hope you all get to feeling better soon!

Have you applied for Assurant yet? We were turned down because I had had Lyme disease in the past! It floored me and ticked me off (no pun intended!) I've checked into Cobra at different stages in my life and it was astronomical. Not sure if things have changed more recently. We ended up going with Connecticare, but they don't have coverage in your area of the country. We have a very high deductible to make it even remotely affordable. I would speak to an agent to see what all your options are, as well as looking into state based programs as others have advised.

I was advised to get as much medicine as I could on the company plan before the layoff in case we declined Cobra. The way our plan was written, the co. wanted people to do a mail order for maintenance medication to keep costs down, so I worked with the Dr. to draw what I could before the final day - something like three months worth.

Hope the next job comes thru quickly.