Menu

Spelling workbook recommendations?

MamaSheep

Ok, I confess. I am evidently not going to sit down and do the one on one fun-ness of All About Spelling with ds. It may eventually happen with dd, but it just isn't with ds. He's getting older and he's a pretty good speller anyway, but I would like him to have some kind of actual spelling instruction that talks about rules and patterns in spelling. I've tried to make myself do it in various interesting ways and I just don't follow through. It's just one of "those things", y'know?

So I'm thinking maybe what I need to do is get a workbook type program where I can just assign pages. But I also need it not to require a great deal in the way of writing. Ds is an Aspie, and writing is....let's just say a problem. We're working on that, but it would be nice to learn some spelling rules without having to fight him on the writing thing too much.

Any suggestions?

For a workbook spelling program, I think ACE is really great. They cover spelling in terms of families of spelling words. It worked great for me as a kid, and I may use it later with my own.

The workbooks are called Word Building and you can do a diagnostic test online to find out where he should start.

Also, if you wanted to look at it in person, just stop by a booth at a convention, or just call and request samples, they'll send you a free workbook so you can see what it's like.

It's pretty gentle at about 3-4 pages a day, easy to finish a grade in a year that way.

HTH. :001_smile:

Thanks, I'll check these out. I looked at Spelling Workout a while back and vaguely remember that it might work for us pretty well, but I'll check out ACE as well. I have some hesitations regarding R&S products in general, but will give it some thought as well. I actually have Spelling Power and printed out the cards a while back. It's one of the things I've planned, in various ways, and then not followed through with. Other things seem to eat my prep time and spelling has just not been much of a priority. I think I need to go with something a little less prep spendy.

I love Spelling Workout. I tried other things with my older daughter because I was afraid SWO was too workbooky. As it turns out, I think workbooky is a good way to teach spelling. As a bonus, it is always readily available on used curriculum boards, if you're that way inclined.

I'm trying to remember what it was I thought I didn't like about Spelling Workout. I'm thinking it was just that it was sports themed. Ds has a "thing" about sports and at the time I was last looking I thought he'd use that as an excuse (or have a genuine panic attack over it) not to do it. These days he's much more in command of himself and I think he could probably overlook sports themes in his spelling.

So would you start an older student who's a fairly decent speller in the first book?

SWO has different covers depending on the editions (I think the newer version is sports). I like it a lot b/c it's one of the few no-brainers in this house. ds in 6th is getting a really good vocab review also. I quiz them on the rules box b/c I found ds was skipping that part. I've thought about making them write the rules down, but that was too much writing. Laura

I have to shout out that my aspie has improved *miraculously* with Apples and Pears Spelling. It is sooooo easy for me to teach as it uses the same format everyday and is almost scripted (but not quite). The pages are black and white, there is NO prep, the whole thing takes about 15 minutes, and though he does not "love" it, he does not hate it.. a big deal around here! :glare: Another great thing is that it is level based (no big "Grade Whatever" on the front) so he does not know he is in a book level lower than his peers might be. I am in a hurry so can't link you until later, but I know there are great reviews and a link here in the board. HTH!!

After using a more CM methodology for several years, I have switched my 12yo and 9yo ds's to BJU Spelling. I love it. It doesn't have unnecessary exercises, but instead includes Latin origins, Scripture references, analogies, and dictionary skills. The boys and I also appreciate that each work is presented by syllable, making it easier to study and retain. I only wish it didn't end in 6th!

View samples here. (And btw, I have not found the need for a TM.)

Edited by angela&4boys
Spelling! Lol!