Menu

Any secular books equivalent to Rod and Staff grammar?

NoPlaceLikeHome

There are none that I know of exactly like R&S. Some I know who don't use Rod & Staff use Easy Grammar or Daily Grams. They are a workbook based thing not like R&S though. Grammar for middle school seems to have limited options. Some I know use A Beka (even not evangelical Christians). Others choose to not study grammar every single year in middle school.

I've also heard GWG can be a secular substitute for Rod and Staff. I haven't looked at Rod and Staff, so I wouldn't know myself.

Also, what about Voyages in English (minus the writing), or just the Exercises in English? (Rainbow Resources carries these). I haven't tried these, but from previewing the content, they look good. This series is recommended in WTM as being rigorous and secular, although I believe SWB indicated it might be slightly less rigorous than R & S.

It's very possible that you could find some old grammar textbooks from 40 or more years ago and use them. The Rod & Staff books remind me very much of the public school texts I used when I was my daughter's age. We did diagramming and everything.

You could probably type in "grammar textbook _____ grade" and try to buy the oldest one available (before 1970 or so). It would probably only cost a few dollars.

Well, for grades three and four, how about First Language Lessons?

You can preview the teacher's manuals and student workbooks here:

http://www.scribd.com/Peace%20Hill%20Press

The Well-Trained Mind recommends Voyages in English as a less sectarian, unscripted approach to grammar for those that do not want to use Rod and Staff for religious reasons or First Language Lessons because of the scripted lessons.

FWIW, my oldest completed Rod and Staff 2, 3, and 4 and this year I switched him over to First Language Lessons IV and Writing With Ease. Both my son and I are very happy for the change!

• 3 months later...

I would have to say if you're looking for more student independent grammar that is thorough without religion, then Growing with Grammar is basically that. There isn't much in it for writing but a few things here and there. I am using GWG right now with my 5th grader and he really enjoys it. I plan to start IEW for writing next week. WWE is pretty scripted if you use the workbook. I'm not sure about FLL4 but if it's similar to FLL3 which I'm sure it is, then it's pretty scripted as well. My son can do GWG completely on his own with just a question for me here and there to clarify what he is reading. The GWG book is written to the student.

Thanks for the replies. I am actually using FLL 3 and WWE 2 and have gotten used to the scripting:) It isn't so bad after all. I plan to do FLL 4, WWE 3 and perhaps WWE 4 as well since I am finding them to be great:) I also plan to add in next school year MCT starting at the island level:tongue_smilie: This is on top of K12 Language Arts since ds attends a public cyber school:tongue_smilie: I must be crazy doing several programs but so far it is working well and has not been too much for ds:001_smile:

I will file away the recommendation for Growing with Grammar though;)

I 've heard good things about Harvey's too. It covers grammar and also includes composition. It's recommended on some other classical schooling sites.

Here's some links for more info:

http://www.mcguffeyreaders.com/grammar.htm

http://www.mottmedia.com/pages/publications.asp?Pub=harvey

Check;) have those as well and use the reader's now and hope to add in the Grammar and Composition. Maybe:tongue_smilie:.

WWE is not as scripted as FLL, however it is scripted. I don't like scripted curriculum in general, but I can handle WWE. It's mostly just narrations, questions and dictation so I'm okay with that. I don't care for FLL because it is so scripted. We use Growing with Grammar and really like it. My 2nd and 3rd grader use it independently and I go over it with them after they finish. My 3rd grader began diagramming this year. I've heard it's a good sub for R&S however, I've not used R&S.

I would have to say if you're looking for more student independent grammar that is thorough without religion, then Growing with Grammar is basically that. There isn't much in it for writing but a few things here and there. I am using GWG right now with my 5th grader and he really enjoys it. I plan to start IEW for writing next week. WWE is pretty scripted if you use the workbook. I'm not sure about FLL4 but if it's similar to FLL3 which I'm sure it is, then it's pretty scripted as well. My son can do GWG completely on his own with just a question for me here and there to clarify what he is reading. The GWG book is written to the student.

If I may hijack....

I'm interested in the upper levels of GWG... we are going to start Grade 4 here soon, but I'm wondering for 5th grade if I should switch to something else to get more composition in? One drawback I've read of GWG is that it is extremely repetitive... which I think is okay for grammar level... not sure going into logic.... or GWG plus something else? I'm not one for millions of curriculum for one subject though! :-)