Menu

Where will you get your H1N1 vaccine?

I just talked to our son's doctor who said that pediatricians will not be sent any vaccines. (Some token few - perhaps 10, presumably for staff?) The health department is going to control the stockpile and will start with public school kids. Since ours don't go to public school, does anyone know where our own kids can get theirs? Children and pregnant women are in the first tier.

We're in South Florida, but I imagine most states will have a similar system.

Perry, if you are still reading. I'm aware (vaguely) that there several options for the flu vaccine.

The mist, which has some live virus (I think).

Then 3 versions of the shot. One that is Thiomersal free. One that might contain trace (or less) Thiomerosal. And one that uses Thiomerosal as a preservative. Is this correct?

I'm aware that the Thiomerosal/Autism link appears scientifically unsound, still mercury in any form or amount seems reasonable to avoid given an alternative.

Do you have thoughts on this. What if the Thiomerosal-free version was unavailable?

Bill

We will not be getting it. "Swine Flu" is the biggest conspiracy out there. It was created by the government so that they could make everyone get vaccines. The vaccine will inclue an RFID link that the government can use to track you.

The OP wasn't asking your opinion of the vaccine. She asked where she might get the vaccine for her kids.

I just talked to our son's doctor who said that pediatricians will not be sent any vaccines. (Some token few - perhaps 10, presumably for staff?) The health department is going to control the stockpile and will start with public school kids. Since ours don't go to public school, does anyone know where our own kids can get theirs? Children and pregnant women are in the first tier.

Our dr. in memorial miramar says she hasnt heard back regarding when they are getting the shots....She says you can come get the regular flu shot...but I never get that one. She says they should know some time next week. I imagine most of the drs will find out then? oh well.

Perry, if you are still reading. I'm aware (vaguely) that there several options for the flu vaccine.

The mist, which has some live virus (I think).

Then 3 versions of the shot. One that is Thiomersal free. One that might contain trace (or less) Thiomerosal. And one that uses Thiomerosal as a preservative. Is this correct?

I'm aware that the Thiomerosal/Autism link appears scientifically unsound, still mercury in any form or amount seems reasonable to avoid given an alternative.

Do you have thoughts on this. What if the Thiomerosal-free version was unavailable?

Bill

Thimerosal is a preservative, and isn't necessary in the single-dose vials. It is only necessary in the multidose vials. I don't know how much of each is available, but I believe the single use vials are meant to be used by pregnant women and children. Here is a table that tells how much thimerosal is present in each vaccine. Scroll down to Influenza A - H1N1 200.

The mist contains live attenuated virus (weakened) and does not have thimerosal.

Thimerosal is a preservative, and isn't necessary in the single-dose vials. It is only necessary in the multidose vials. I don't know how much of each is available, but I believe the single use vials are meant to be used by pregnant women and children. Here is a table that tells how much thimerosal is present in each vaccine. Scroll down to Influenza A - H1N1 200.

The mist contains live attenuated virus (weakened) and does not have thimerosal.

Perry - I remember early on when I asked about the H1N1 vaccine, you said that you wouldn't be running out to get it, but would monitor the situation as it develops. Do you mind if I ask what your feeling is on things as they stand right now? Will you, in fact, be getting the vaccine? I greatly appreciate your opinion.

I don't think anyone really knows yet because the supply hasn't been sent out. My guest though is if they decide to do school-site vaccinations they will have it available to the community before and after school hours. Our district always has a flu clinic for the teachers so maybe in such a case they would make the vaccine available to all (if it's going to be free anyway).

Since you mentioned pediatricians not getting a supply, it makes sense they would do it at school sites (regardless of what I think about that). I did see a template parental notification letter at some point and it mentioned parents having the choice to accept or refuse the vaccine on their child's behalf.

We see the seasonal flu shot just about everywhere from our local doctor to Costco to the grocery store usually.

Perry - I remember early on when I asked about the H1N1 vaccine, you said that you wouldn't be running out to get it, but would monitor the situation as it develops. Do you mind if I ask what your feeling is on things as they stand right now? Will you, in fact, be getting the vaccine? I greatly appreciate your opinion.

As time has passed, I am more convinced that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks and we will be getting it as soon as it's available. We're waiting for the shot, and will pass on the mist.

As time has passed, I am more convinced that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks and we will be getting it as soon as it's available. We're waiting for the shot, and will pass on the mist.

Thank you for sharing this with us. Definitely puts things into perspective for me considering how knowledgable you are on this.

I truly believe it is the precursor to the mark of the beast as mentioned in Revelations

Why is the media so adamant that everyone get the vaccine? Because they are being controlled by our government. I have talked to several state troopers and they are already making plans for roadside checkpoints to check and see if people have gotten the vaccine. If not they will be transported to a quarantine area.

I usually attribute this sort of thing to the work of conspiracy theorists. But with things being the way they are these days with health care and the government, I guess we shouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be true, huh?

Also, just wanted to point out that it's "Revelation", not "Revelations". Sorry, but that's one of my pet peeves, right up there with confusing "its" and "it's". :D

I truly believe it is the precursor to the mark of the beast as mentioned in Revelations

Why is the media so adamant that everyone get the vaccine? Because they are being controlled by our government. I have talked to several state troopers and they are already making plans for roadside checkpoints to check and see if people have gotten the vaccine. If not they will be transported to a quarantine area.

How would the government benefit? Are you aware that none of the vaccine companies making H1N1 vaccine are US companies? So if the US government is involved in this "conspiracy", it is controlling Australian, Swiss and French pharmaceutical companies. Trying to understand how that could work....

LOL I will be traveling with my gun !!!

Guest mom_of_4

:iagree::iagree:

I have also heard this by many people, I live in the upper mid-west in a remote area. I truly wonder about the chip being in it too.

Blessings

Jen

Somebody, please tell me the symptoms you have had! We have symptoms now, and I was figuring they were too mild to be it, but everyone else is saying they had it and it was mild!

We also had very, very mild flu-like symptoms a couple of weeks ago. I wonder whether or not we had it.

And if we did, my oldest never showed any symptoms at all. I wonder if this means (if we did in fact have it) that he is just immune?

I am starting to lean toward getting the vaccine. Not the mist, but the shot. Just this week several thousand mist vaccines were delivered to AR and they are starting soon to give them to the ps kids. I don't know when we would get the shot here. I guess we would just go to the health department.

Somebody, please tell me the symptoms you have had! We have symptoms now, and I was figuring they were too mild to be it, but everyone else is saying they had it and it was mild!

If you have symptoms of ANYTHING right now, don't get a flu shot - seasonal or otherwise. Trust me. Not a good idea.

There is a thread here asking about symptoms. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131846&highlight=symptoms Before you read, though, please realize that MOST of us are not "confirmed" cases and we can only guess about what we had.

Thank you Perry!

You are a deeply appreciated voice of reason and informed opinion :001_smile:

Bill

We felt VERY run down. Out of the five of us, one had only some stomach issues (diarreah, nausea) the rest had what amounted to a bad cold with some diarreah. Mine started out feeling like a histamine bomb went off in my sinuses, and went from sinuses to chest in about 24 hours. It took my dh about 2 weeks to feel 'right' afterwards...he was very tired. My 12yr old dd with asthma ended up with pnuemonia. None of us were tested though, and we only ran low fevers.

I'm fairly sure it was H1N1, it was confirmed in one of our schools (rather small town) and the same symptoms/illness spread like wildfire through the community at the same time with multiple confirmations of H1N1.

yeah that's what is in our house right now x 6 of us so far.

if it wasn't for the body aches/headache I'd think it was just a bad cold.

called ped to see what to look for and he said to bring them in

asked what he would do

said he'd test to for flu

asked then what

said nothing really to do about a virus except make sure they don't get dehydrated and take to er if they show signs of complication

umm..

k.

I think I'll just stay home and save my $180+ bucks then thank you very much.

How bad are the body aches? Barely noticeable like mine, or def there. Body aches sound like the flu to me.

typical flu-like to my mind

dont want to leave bed, weak/weepy feeling, w/ a headache bordering on migraine

they started dropping Sat night and have been sleeping with periodic parent checks to give broth/pretzels/crackers/applesauce (laced w/ a vit/min suppliment), ice water, meds to help rest, and a vapo shower/bath until this morning. 2 are still in bed but ventured out for lunch and were healthy enough to complain about things. the others are weak and foggy but rebounding mild cough, but nothing too rough.

With respect to the OP, I think it is varying by area. I saw our ped a few days ago for one kid's physical and then both kids got regular flu shots. (I'm not antivax and my kids have elderly grandparents who are very nervous about the flu, so this year I'm trying to take care of them, and respect their wishes, by getting vaxes.) The ped said what she was hearing changed daily and that if I was following the stories in the local paper I probably knew as much as she did. She thought they would be about to get it, but didn't know how much, and said they might run out. (They were already out of the seasonal flu mist and only had seasonal shots left.) She said the CDC site was where she checked every day. She thought that school vaxes would be open to everyone, or there would be community center vaxes if they go that direction instead of ped offices. The New York Times had an interesting article about this uncertainty a few days ago, if anyone wants to look it up online.

Actually just checked the Times -- despite that story a day or two ago, their site now says NYC kids will get shots at schools.

I have no idea where they'll do them when they do them here - which prolly won't be until sometime in November. I don't even know where flu shots are normally done, since we've never done them before - well, dh did once, but it was right at his workplace.

I'm figuring they must be planning to set up clinics or something, as many people (like us) don't actually have a family doctor or ped or whatnot.

I just went on our county school web site. Here they are going to start giving out the vax in schools beginning Oct 19. They are going to have hours at the high school after school for those not in the public schools. Here parents will choose that day whether to have the mist or shot. I'm assuming since you are also in FL it might be similar. Check you school district website or your local health department.

I wanted to find out because if the mist is active for up to 21 days from being administered, then I don't want my kids playing with the neighbors for awhile.

Melissa

Wow, I'm gone a few hours and what a great conversation.

The H1N1 vaccine has started to arrive in Miami. Tons of the fluMist, a few shots. We don't normally take flu vaccines. Frankly, my sister has them every year and she gets the flu every year. It's so hit and miss with seasonal flu vaccines -- they literally have to guess what's going to be circulating almost a year in advance.

The H1N1 vaccine, on the other hand, is specifically targeted to a group of virii that are most certainly out there right now. This flu probably won't kill any more people than the regular seasonal flu will. The problem for me is that in the case of H1N1 it is most severe in children. Children are dying of this strain and that is the exact opposite from regular seasonal flu where the elderly are at most risk. On this one, I'm going to have to take my doctor's advise together with my own research.

As to the conspiracy theorists... all I can say is, thanks for your input.

Edited by tdeveson

I just went on our county school web site. Here they are going to start giving out the vax in schools beginning Oct 19. They are going to have hours at the high school after school for those not in the public schools. Here parents will choose that day whether to have the mist or shot. I'm assuming since you are also in FL it might be similar. Check you school district website or your local health department.

Thanks, Melissa. I checked our county school website and they don't have anything yet. Perhaps in the next few days. I'll keep checking because I'm sure that's one of the first places they will post vaccination schedules when they receive them.

Over here they said the middle schools will get them and everybody who is first tier can go there to get it. THe problem is all or almost all of the first vaccine will be the flu mist and we have to wait for flu shot.Only my dh has gotten the regular flu shot since they ran out of that around here too.

H1N1 has been around in AZ since May. 2nd week of May one of my girls had a sore throat & 102 deg fever. Dr first tested for throat infection. Was negative then she ran a flu test. Came positive for Influenza but not H1N1. She gave the rest of the family Tamiflu 1/2 dosage for 10 days.

In our county, the first set of vaccines will go to health care workers.

It is good in a way since our Dr told us not to be too worried too much & also when our turn comes we can be sure if the vaccine really works & has no side effects.

We just have to wait our turn. Even when it is available, we have to see how many cases are being reported in our county.

Our Drs office has not even recieved the regular flu vaccines. Got those for the kids though.