Menu

Any nutritionists out there? Why am I so hungry?

I have been trying to lose 50lbs forever. 16months ago, I started Weight Watchers and lost a total of 12lbs in a year, most of that was after I stopped counting points and started counting calories. I now keep track of my calories and nutrition online, which works as well or better than WW, though I am still not really losing.

I eat 1400-1700 calories/day, depending on how much I workout. I workout almost every day, cardio and add weights on alternating days.

I have started adding more protein into my diet, but am hitting a low blood sugar wall every morning around 10 that is difficult to climb out of. My typical

morning eating is this:

Breakfast soon after I get up: (7ish)

2 egg whites,

Kashi go lean w/milk

coffee w/milk (no sugar)

4oz. knudsen mega green juice

1tbsp. women's omega oil

(starving at 9:30)

Snack: (9:30-10)

2 slices lean natural lunch meat (6 g. protein each)

Apple

2 tsp. peanut butter

starving 30 minutes later, so I eat lunch around 11 am.

Any idea how I can change up my diet to prevent this? It looks really good to me.

Btw, after I workout I make a smoothie that is protein powder, milk, oat bran, and flax seed.

Thanks!!!

Forgot to add that when I saw my dr. a year ago, she told me to exercise more. I am, and it's not helping.

Edited by Diana in OR
Forgot something

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Breakfast soon after I get up: (7ish)

2 egg whites,

Kashi go lean w/milk

coffee w/milk (no sugar)

4oz. knudsen mega green juice

1tbsp. women's omega oil

(starving at 9:30)

Snack: (9:30-10)

2 slices lean natural lunch meat (6 g. protein each)

Apple

2 tsp. peanut butter

starving 30 minutes later, so I eat lunch around 11 am.

Any idea how I can change up my diet to prevent this?

Salad, fruits & veggies, in copious amounts. You can eat until you just can't eat anymore. Eat a giant salad every single day. Nutrient and fiber dense but extremely low cal. When I snack on sliced bell peppers and cherry tomatoes, I get full, full, full. :001_smile:

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm not a nutritionist. However, looking at your breakfast, I would ask how much fiber the kashi has? Also, does it have any sugar? If it is low in fiber and high in sugar, that would make me feel hungry.

I've been eating Post shredded wheat and bran with milk in the mornings and have not had that crazy hungry feeling. I don't even eat a full "serving." The only ingredients are wheat and bran. It has 8 gr. of fiber and 6 gr. of protein, 1 gr. of natural sugar per serving. I alternate that with plain oatmeal made from rolled oats or steel cut oats, with milk and cinnamon (no sugar).

Also, are you only allowed to eat egg whites? I think one whole poached egg might be more satisfying, and more nutritious.

How much sugar is in the juice? You might want to save the juice for drinking with a meal that has more protein if it has sugar content. Or trade the juice for a piece of fresh fruit (more filling fiber)

Edited by Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn
Yeah what about trying the eggs whole? I find eggs really satisfy me in the morning.

Definitely. A few days ago, I had a glass of water, 1 poached egg, and 1 piece of whole wheat toast with a little butter and I felt great all morning.

I agree about adding fiber and veggies and removing as much sugar as possible. Drink lots of water!

2 more things: What is your cardio workout?...because it may not be intense enough. Your heartrate needs to be up high enough for at least 20-30 straight minutes, IMO.

How many calories do you burn each workout?...because you may not be eating *enough* calories if you're burning over 500/day.

I'm not a nutritionist. However, looking at your breakfast, I would ask how much fiber the kashi has? Also, does it have any sugar? If it is low in fiber and high in sugar, that would make me feel hungry.

The Kashi has 10g fiber, 6g sugar and 13g. protein. Good idea about the oatmeal. It would probably have less sugar.

I can eat whole eggs. I thought the omega oil would make up for the lack of egg yolks, but I will certainly give that a try as well.

>> What is your cardio workout?...because it may not be intense enough. Your heartrate needs to be up high enough for at least 20-30 straight minutes<< 30-45 minutes on the elliptical or stair stepper. I try to maintain 130bpm, but I think that may be a little too low, since my target range is between 106 and 152. Thanks for the reminder.

If your body is in need of nutrients, it behaves similar to when it is in need of calories.

I got the book the Gabriel Method. It's a bit hokey for me, but I have gleaned some great wisdom from it and am finally HAPPY with where I am and where I am going health wise. And I'm having great FUN doing it.

I'm not going to try to convince anyone to find out why their body wants to be fat, to eat live foods, to find ways to enjoy exercise,to build exercise and fun foods into their lifestyle, etc. I just know it's worked for so many who have suffered for so long. Cancer, diabetes, childhood trauma, obesity, etc cured. Like those people, I needed the answer hidden right here in plain sight.

Standard disclaimer.

I'd agree with the others who have noted the absence of vegetables. I'd try to replace much (not all) of the animal foods with plants. Including beans to replace meat.

On exercise, recent studies show that "interval" training (where exercise intensity goes up and down throughout he secession) as opposed to keeping an even pace, is far more effective in resetting the body's metabolism and promotes weight loss. So you might easy, hard burst, easy, hard burst...

Bill

I eat one and I get hungry very shortly thereafter. I think that maybe fruit with a lower glycemic index would be better--like strawberries, for instance. Another advantage there is that strawberries have a lot of vitamin C, while apples have little nutrition to speak of.

I think you're hungry partly because you're just eating so little. It's difficult to keep that up for very long. Good for you! I wish I could do what you're doing.

Honestly, besides what everybody else is telling you, you might consider an appetite suppressant.

I exercise a lot and I am always hungry. I would eat so much as to negate the effects of exercise. So suppressants helps me. If that freaks you out, try coffee (black or with agave). That helps suppress the appetite a bit.

I take fiber but I always feel bloated when I do. Oh well, take fiber drinks anyway. It might help with your hunger. If not, it is good for your cholesterol levels.