Menu

Has anyone started a wildflower area?

Directly across from our house is basically an open slope. The sheikh's palace is a little further down, but the grounds extend in front of our house and beyond, fenced in. When I say grounds, I don't mean gardens or anything tended. In front of us directly is pretty much just an open, sandy hill with wild grasses/scrubby plants. So there's this large hill, then at the bottom is a chain fence, then about ten feet of small hill before you reach the street.

I have been thinking for a while of trying to plant some kind of wildflower seed over there on the small slope before the fence. It must have some kind of water source, since scrub is growing there, but I'm not sure how well anything would do there long term and obviously I don't want to add to my water bill and chores to have to water on the opposite side of the road continuously.

I brought back a large number of seeds from the States, including some that say they do well in hot climates -- like California poppies. I was wanting to try establishing that over there, but wasn't sure how feasible it is and what kind of time/water investment it involves. I mean, would I need to literally go sow the seeds in neat rows like I would in my garden, and water regularly; or could I sprinkle seeds around and water well until they start sprouting? Or should I start the seeds in small pots and once they are small plants transplant over there and water for a few days to get them established?

I was hoping for something I could sort of get started then it would take care of itself, kwim?

Any advice appreciated.

I've planted a large patch of California poppies. Of course I live in California, so they are natives.

You certainly do not need to plant them in neat rows, just broadcast them. Scatter them.

They will need rains or watering to germinate, then can live on little water. If they get water they will basically be perennials, if not watered they act as annuals. They set seed quickly, so will re-seed.

Scattering just before rains, or during a period you can water is best so animals (birds) don't eat them.

They are a very easy plant here. Can't say about Saudi Arabia.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Planting season starts now (because temps have gone down enough), I'm working on getting the rest of the seeds out (flowers and fruits/vegetables). If we're talking about planting in the rainy season, I'll need to wait until late Dec-January, when we get decent rain for about a month, then no more rain until next year.

If I planted them now, how long would I need to water them, would it reach a point where I wouldn't have to anymore?

Planting season starts now (because temps have gone down enough), I'm working on getting the rest of the seeds out (flowers and fruits/vegetables). If we're talking about planting in the rainy season, I'll need to wait until late Dec-January, when we get decent rain for about a month, then no more rain until next year.

If I planted them now, how long would I need to water them, would it reach a point where I wouldn't have to anymore?

I would suspect you would need to give them semi-regular to get them going until the rainy season. Or just wait. In native conditions here, the poppies would essentially die off in the summer heat (if not irrigated) and would being to emerge in a similar rainy season (December-January).

But it seems with watering they respond. I basically keep mine going year round with light watering. Unwatered they would die back in summer. But it doesn't take much to keep them going.

Still Spring is always when they are most spectacular.

Bill