Menu

Son's & Daughter's of the American Revolution...

I am not finding their websites very helpful. Is anyone here a member or benefited from SAR/DAR?

The national website is not helpful and the local sites are atrocious.

ETA: OK, I just saw that you must be 18 or over... so my children can not register. So the scholarships available are for the children of members?

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

I looked at their sites, too. From what I gathered, proof of eligibility has to be very carefully documented, so it may take quite awhile for you to verify all the details they want. Since you are a busy mom, you might want to start working on gathering the needed documents now to have everything compiled when your dc are in high school. Then, you can apply for membership, they can apply for scholarships, and you'll know if it was worth your time. It does sound like they expect you to be actively involved, though - this isn't just a scholarship program, KWIM?

is all things DAR! (But I do not share her interest!)

Anyway, there is DAR and SAR for adults and a CAR for children. They do lots of patriotic activities and concentrate on preserving the history and traditions of the United States. Don't know anything about their scholarships but I do know that the give awards for good citizenship, essay writing, etc. You will have to prove direct lineage to a supporter of the Revolutionary War. This can be someone who actually fought in it or even a small monetary donation to the war cause. Hope that this helps you. Let me know if you have any questions.

jeri

It does sound like they expect you to be actively involved, though - this isn't just a scholarship program, KWIM?

Thanks for the info... I KWYM, I don't know if my dh will want to become actively involved.

I should have an easier time with the proof of eligibility because dh's Great Aunt was a member of DAR and did all of the legwork, so we just have to prove lineage to her (DH > DH's Mother > DH Grandpa > Grandpa's Sister). Aside from the birth certs, there is a copy of my dh's family tree on display at the public library with historical artifacts, letters and a Deed. I just need everyone's birth certificate.

is all things DAR! (But I do not share her interest!)

Anyway, there is DAR and SAR for adults and a CAR for children. They do lots of patriotic activities and concentrate on preserving the history and traditions of the United States. Don't know anything about their scholarships but I do know that the give awards for good citizenship, essay writing, etc. You will have to prove direct lineage to a supporter of the Revolutionary War. This can be someone who actually fought in it or even a small monetary donation to the war cause. Hope that this helps you. Let me know if you have any questions.

jeri

CAR may work (I've never even heard of them!) as I'm not sure my dh really wants to join. Thank you for the offer of help... I may need to get back to you. I can't believe how little information is out there!

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

You will have to prove direct lineage to a supporter of the Revolutionary War. This can be someone who actually fought in it or even a small monetary donation to the war cause.

They are very strict regarding the "direct lineage" part. The DAR doesn't recognize legal lineage relationships, such as adoption.

(Or at least they didn't about ten years ago when a friend was looking into it.)

I received the DAR Good Citizenship Award in High School. I also participated in some essay contests they sponsored. It was useful for resume/college application building than anything else.

Did you receive that because your mom was in DAR, or because someone in DAR recognized you as a good citizen, or were you in CAR?

TIA!

In our area, each high school nominates students, usually one boy and one girl, for the award. I've never tried to join DAR although I think I could definitely show lineage. The first generation of my family in America was a doctor in the revolutionary war. Apparently he enlisted as soon as stepping foot on American soil.

In our area, each high school nominates students, usually one boy and one girl, for the award. I've never tried to join DAR although I think I could definitely show lineage. The first generation of my family in America was a doctor in the revolutionary war. Apparently he enlisted as soon as stepping foot on American soil.

Thank you. I am lucky that the tough legwork of providing lineage was already done by dh's great aunt and providing the lineage to her is easy.

I received this, as well. I am not associated w/ this organization, nor is anyone in my family. So, they must give the awards out to non-members (or at least they did 17 years ago :-)

Thanks for your post, that helps to clear up the scholarship question. :)

What I think I'll do is gather the birth certificates for my kids while the relatives are still living (great grandpa is 101 :w00t:) and put them in the folder with the copies of the historical documents and family tree and when my kids are older, if they want to join then they know where to find the supporting documents.

my biggest turnoff. Although *I* was a member of the CAR (thanks to mom), I have 3 adopted kids (and 3 bios) and believe it's a bit of a slap in the face to 1/2 my kids for not being able to join. So, I'm basically turned off by it. Sorry to put my personal spin in on this, but I feel strongly about it!

jeri

my biggest turnoff. Although *I* was a member of the CAR (thanks to mom), I have 3 adopted kids (and 3 bios) and believe it's a bit of a slap in the face to 1/2 my kids for not being able to join. So, I'm basically turned off by it. Sorry to put my personal spin in on this, but I feel strongly about it!

jeri

It sure does seem a slap in the face!

It also makes no sense because it is not like my children have the same blood or genes as the historical ancestor because it has been so many generations! It is just a family tree that can be traced to a historic ancestor and surely adopted children belong on that family tree!

And it seems to me that way back then, people just sort of took in other people's kids if there were no parentss.

So who is to say that someone in my lineage is not an adopted child! But I digress . . .

That said, it might be a great opportunity for you or your family!

jeri