Menu

Pros and cons of sectional sofas?

Perry

I hired an interior decorator, and her first suggestion was a sectional sofa. I've never had one and they scream 70's to me, but she thinks it would be great for the living room.

So... anyone love them? Hate them? My instinct is that it would be too bulky, but I am not good at this kind of thing.

I used to hate them. But now that I have 3 children that all want to pile up on top of me or Dad for a story or a family movie, having a sectional is the best way to accommodate everyone without anyone being too squished.

They actually sell some really nice looking sectionals these days. They all used to be pretty ugly. Times have changed.

We have one. I like it because you can pile a bunch of people on there. It seems a little less stuffy than a couch/love seat combo. We have it in our family room. I wouldn't put one in a formal living room.

BUT, it's kind of a commitment. Most of them have one side longer than the other, so it can only be in a certain position in a room. If a move is anywhere in your future, or you like to rearrange your furniture periodically, you may consider getting one in which both sides are even. (more like a square corner, than a rectangle. Does that make sense?)

One thing to consider is how the layout of the room dictates where you could put an sectional sofa. Will a sectional sofa only fit in one spot of the room? If so, then later if you get an itch to move things around, you would be limited. Then again this may not even be an issue for you.

Hi Perry,

I bought a brand new sectional and regretted it, but only because it didn't fit our room. If a bona-fide designer says it would be great for your room, I'd go with it.

But if you know in your heart that it'll always be an eye sore to you, then ask her for some alternative suggestions.

Some rooms really are beautifully set up for the. Just not ours.

The other thing I don't like about it is that if you're a fan of moving furniture around for a new look every 6 months (which I like to do), you can't do much at all with a sectional. I finally broke ours up and it looks okay, but. . . I'm not thrilled.

Alley

We have one. I do like it because I can actually snuggle with my husband. Since we are both tall it is impossible in anything else. There is also plenty of room for our whole family to sit together for stories and movies.

It only fits in one place in our house. That really bugged me for a year. Now, I'm good with it. The only other downfall for me is the peices don't fit tight together so if you're not paying attention and you put your hand down on a spot between cushions your hand can go kind of down between the pieces.

We had a lovely rattan one for our Great Room when we lived in Florida. But when we moved into a chopped up old farm house in Ohio, it would not fit in a single room (not to mention that the rattan and tropical print looked a bit odd!). The way mine was made caused it to look strange when broken up into its 3 components, so we eventually sold it.

I really miss it. I loved that dh and I could both stretch out and still be in contact with each other and I know we would have loved to have dd added to the picture. I have often wondered if I would have the courage to have a built-in banquette type sofa installed in our living room since I can't have a sectional. However, I am one of those people who only moves furniture if I absolutely have to. I could live with the same positions for ever as long as it was functional for us. HTH!

• 2 years later...
Guest SophiaBaker

I needed new sofas for both my upstairs living room and my basement/T.V. room. After doing some research, we bought fabric sofas for the upstairs room, and a genuine leather sectional for the T.V. room, which we love and yes, we paid thousands for it, much more than the fabric sofas. The sofa you are looking at is such a low price because it is bonded leather. I had read to stay away from bonded and bi-cast leather.

Edited by SophiaBaker

We have one. I like it because you can pile a bunch of people on there. It seems a little less stuffy than a couch/love seat combo. We have it in our family room. I wouldn't put one in a formal living room.

BUT, it's kind of a commitment. Most of them have one side longer than the other, so it can only be in a certain position in a room. If a move is anywhere in your future, or you like to rearrange your furniture periodically, you may consider getting one in which both sides are even. (more like a square corner, than a rectangle. Does that make sense?)[/QUOTE]

This was what made us decide on 2 full size sofas vs. a sectional. We will keep this until they literally fall out from under us and I didn't want to be stuck with only being able to have my room set up one way for the next 15-20 years.

Have you seen a conversation sofa? We just ordered one, it's not here yet, so I can't tell you if I recommend it or not. :001_smile:

It is a regular sofa, but larger and the ends angle in a bit. It is considered a sectional because it is technically 2 pieces, but does not look like a typical sectional. Ours is Flex Steel brand, and the style is Harrison, which is quite long but they do offer smaller sofas of the same style. We also ordered 2 smaller side chairs, different brand however.

Edited by magnificent_baby
Wrong style name