Menu

Writing suggestions please!

Loupelou

We've left SL language arts behind and are trying out WWE & FLL this year. However, I am missing the writing assignments and structure of SL. My younger dc are K,1st & 3rd grade and with SL we were used to writing a lot of original work. I am enjoying the thorough grammar instruction and scripting of WWE & FLL, but I feel like we aren't being challenged. So far most of what we are doing is review so we are pushing through it quickly. I'm ready to go buy the SL Language Arts just for the writing part! Any suggestions or experience from the hive is most welcome!:001_smile:

I am missing the writing assignments and structure of SL.

I feel like we aren't being challenged.

Use the WWE to incorporate whatever history, science, and literature you are reading. This will make it more interesting. I only use the hardback, and incorporate our reading.

As each child finishes WWE, he/she can go on to learn to learn outlining, while continuing to write simple narrations "across the curriculum," which can be dropped when they learn to rewrite from their narrations. WWE is good prep for this. And of course, one can always hope that the next book, Writing With Skill, will be out by the time your dc finish WWE. :D

You could also do a creative writing course in addition to WWE, if any of your kids is so inclined and wants the challenge.

We're using Just Write and we're very happy with it.

The lessons are very clear and extremely relevant to my DD's grammar lessons. Each assignment is short, nicely broken out into manageable chunks for a young (or writing-phobic) child and flows perfectly.

You can look at the samples on CBD to decide which level your children need.

My 2 cents,

Ann

For my writing-phobic, pulling a nail, "I hate writing" kids - the copywork, narration and dictation formula in WWE/FLL works. The whole idea behind WWE/FLL is that most young children aren't mentally (and sometimes physically) ready and able to do straight creative writing. There are certainly some exceptions!

For my oldest son (5th grade) I added in an IEW stand alone resource that lines up with our history (Ancient History Based Writing). It teaches outlining (using a KWO) and rewriting so far. For my son it's the perfect amount because this also doesn't require original writing that he really just can't do.

There are lots of great resources for teaching writing, it's great homeschooling because you can find the right fit for what works for your individual students.

We've left SL language arts behind and are trying out WWE & FLL this year. However, I am missing the writing assignments and structure of SL. My younger dc are K,1st & 3rd grade and with SL we were used to writing a lot of original work. I am enjoying the thorough grammar instruction and scripting of WWE & FLL, but I feel like we aren't being challenged. So far most of what we are doing is review so we are pushing through it quickly. I'm ready to go buy the SL Language Arts just for the writing part! Any suggestions or experience from the hive is most welcome!:001_smile:

Interesting...I just ordered SL LA for similar reasons. We had left it for WWE/FLL, and while I love the history narrations and notebook and plan to continue that, I'm not sure dd or I are ready for dictaion yet. SL delays dictation, has a great schedule (which I love - not so good at making or sticking to my own:)) and has creative writing, which is not for everyone, but which I think my dd would enjoy. I talked to her about it, and I think we'll give it a try again and see how it works out. I may add in the oral parts of FLL for extra grammer - SL doesn't have a lot, but I'm not totally sold on early grammer, so we'll see. Hope you find what works for you.:)