Menu

Lower elementary Chemistry

LadyAberlin

My ds 5.5 really wants to study chem. We already did RS4K pre level 1 chem. He wants something that has experiments everyday. I really need curriculum to guide me along or it doesn't get done. So do you have any recommendations on chem for this age. I thought of Noeo simply because they schedule out the books for me. They don't have nearly enough experiments. I was thinking of adding in Living Learning books Chem and maybe a kitchen chemistry book to add some experiments to it. My library has most of the books for Noeo. Any other ideas?

We use NOEO, but I think it would be way overkill for a 5 year old. It comes with a lot of books that would probably be way over his head (but good to have around for later if you want to invest in them now). I think it's kind of crazy that it's said to be for ages 5-8....it seems to me like kids that young really won't get as much out of it as an older kid.

The Super Science Concoctions book that comes as part of the kit would probably be really good for someone who is into experiments. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824968034/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1885593023&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=14QHS24VW8NKN462DY2M

"Awesome Ocean Science"! It has a lot of information about oceans and intersperses it with illustrations and also experiments. The experiments have to do with water chemistry, mostly, and are easy to conduct at home with materials on hand.

Also, at that age helping with cooking is a great intro to measuring and to food chemistry, especially if you can point out and explain transformation processes, like what happens when you beat an egg.

Get a pH kit for garden dirt and measure pH of a lot of other stuff (you may have already done this for RS4K, I am not sure about pre-level 1.)

And here is a great biochem experiment: Take four identical pieces of wheat bread. You lick on, your DH licks another, and your DS licks the third. Put them in labelled plastic bags at room temperature, and observe daily for two weeks. You will be amazed, in a grossed out kind of way. (Note that the unlicked piece of bread is for the control group. It will amaze you, too.)