Menu

NEM question

For those of you who use NEM, what do you actually need. It looks like the textbook and teacher edition (for the solutions to the challenging problems) are necessary. Do you find the solution manuel helpful? Do you use the supplemental workbook? Are there tests or do you make up your own, or not do them?

To answer your questions-

I got the textbook, teacher's edition, and workbook. I didn't feel the need for the solution manual. The workbook has tests.

Since my ds is young and is in no rush, his schedule looks like this so far:

Text Chap. 1

Text Chap. 2

Workbook Chap. 1

Workbook Chap. 2

Workbook Test on 1-2

Text Chap. 3

Text Chap. 4

Workbook Chap. 3

Workbook Chap. 4

Workbook Test Chap. 3-4

Text Revisions 1, Mis. Problems 1, Investigations 1

Text Chap. 5

I do the tests to make sure he is hitting the >80% grade A status.

I have him do all the problems and I like alternating the Text and Workbook chapters to give a bit of review.

The first 4 chapters are definitely a lot of work and now he is really enjoying "real" algebra in chapter 5. It does seem quite easy after those first 4.

HTH!

happydays

I do have the teacher's edition, but I've not had to use it yet (NEM 1 & 2), and I've not bothered with the solution manuals.

The workbook has tests. We've actually not used the workbook for regular practice... there's plenty in the text and DS hasn't had any particular problems that needed extra work. I used workbook problems for a kid I was tutoring who did need some extra practice on a topic or two. They're easy to pick and choose from that way.

And I agree with happydays that those first four chapters are a doozy! LOL

Hope this helps!

For those of you who use NEM, what do you actually need. It looks like the textbook and teacher edition (for the solutions to the challenging problems) are necessary. Do you find the solution manuel helpful? Do you use the supplemental workbook? Are there tests or do you make up your own, or not do them?

For NEM I and II, we used the text, workbook, and solutions manual. In retrospect, I wouldn't have bought the Solutions Manual I. I also had the teacher's guide for NEM II, but rarely used it. It does have some answers that aren't in the solutions manual. The workbook is written by different authors and there is no solutions manual for it.

Karen