Menu

I need advice - Do I continue to use LLATL or not?

Frontier Mom

I am using this for my younger two. My older two are using Lightning Literature, which I love. However, my younger two are using LLATL Orange and Tan, which I'm not real excited about at this point.

Here's some background: Youngest is finishing FLL3 and moving to FLL4 next week. Hope to finish this during this school year. I love this program!!

Next to youngest is using Analtytical Grammar. He is doing this with the two older boys and this is working great. Love this program too!!

Two youngest are also doing CLE Reading, levels 4 & 6.

Here is my dilemma: I want to read more, have more time for read-alouds and narrations. I'm feeling that LLATL is merely a repeat of the things they are already doing in the above mentioned curriculums. I also feel we need more writing.

Would I regret dropping LLATL and just reading the books assigned in it, along with others I would like to read. I am thinking of doing some read-alouds together with them and then working on some things like plot, setting, character, etc. I also want to add in more writing via Writing Strands.

WWYD?

My oldest daughter used LLATL all the way through, but she was really motivated and added in a lot of her own stuff on her own time. I think what you are doing separately will more than cover what is included in LLATL. Do you do a separate spelling program? LLATL spelling process of using misspelled words from your writing never really worked for us.

If the other things you're using are covering the same aspects, I'd drop LLATL. We used yellow last year and loved it, but I haven't been as impressed with the first ten lessons of orange so far this year. If I had anything in the works to replace it, I'd do it.

My oldest daughter used LLATL all the way through, but she was really motivated and added in a lot of her own stuff on her own time. I think what you are doing separately will more than cover what is included in LLATL. Do you do a separate spelling program? LLATL spelling process of using misspelled words from your writing never really worked for us.

Yes, the younger two use Spelling Workout and I use Spellquizzer to make their spelling quizzes on the computer. I add words I notice them misspelling in their writing to that list.

Basically, I feel like we are covering much of the same things in independent subjects that are in LLATL. I am thinking of using things like their book questions and various other things from the books but not going cover to cover.