Menu

For those using ETC: Do you supplement with other programs?

sberry

A continuation from another thread (ETC Book 4 question).

For those who use Explode the Code--Do you supplement with any other phonics programs? If so, which ones work well?

I have just begun using ETC with my 5yo son and look forward to hearing any feedback on the program and its use in conjunction with other programs. Thanks, Sara

I answered this in the other thread before I read that you had started a new one. :001_huh:I cut and paste my response here...

For us using ETC exclusively has worked just fine. Then again I've only used it with my oldest all the way through but so far my middle son is doing great, catching on fast and retaining it all. We use the Primary Phonics readers when are published by the same company that prints ETC. Our library carries them but I didn't know that until I bought the entire set.:tongue_smilie:

I would start with just ETC and see if it's enough for your dc. No reason to spend extra time and money on something else if this ends up being enough for you, too. After awhile if you see it's not sticking then spend the money on a supplement. That's just my .02 though!

I recently asked the same question.

Here is the thread with the responses I got:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129155

I have just starting using ETC daily and every other day add in a lesson from OPG or a reader (still haven't found a reader I really like)

Working well so far for my K'er, don't do the two lessons back to back though

We did ETC, Bob books, leveled readers from the library, a pack of sight word flashcards and Dick and Jane books from the library (they *really* helped her confidence and fluency in reading aloud).

My daughter also liked it when I wrote simple stories for her using words she knew (and included things like names of her cats, friends, etc). It helped to know that she was reading rather than guessing from the picture. If she could read it, she was allowed to draw a picture for it. The stories were along the lines of "Marco sat. Marco sat on Meg. Meg was mad. Meg bit Marco. Marco ran." (which describes a common cat interaction in our house:)).

I have at times. My oldest son used ETC as a supplement to the phonics in MFW First Grade. My youngest son has used ETC almost exclusively. He has played some of the games in Happy Phonics, used Phonics Pathways for awhile and enjoys Starfall.com. But, he's mostly done ETC by itself. I never worried about readers. Both of my sons started with various Dr. Seuss books. He is now almost done with ETC 5. By the time he completed Book 4, he could read books like The Magic School Bus series and Usborne First Encyclopedias by himself. We've never needed readers. I let them read whatever they wanted to try to read. If they didn't know a word, I would read it and we'd just move on. Eventually, they could read whole books themselves. I've found that once reading "clicks" they can read words and sounds that we haven't covered in their phonics. I do continue with the phonics though and have found that ETC works really well.

I recently asked the same question.

Here is the thread with the responses I got:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129155

I have just starting using ETC daily and every other day add in a lesson from OPG or a reader (still haven't found a reader I really like)

Working well so far for my K'er, don't do the two lessons back to back though

Thanks for that link!

I just got the Bob books and will be adding those in...I am glad to see they are so highly recommended.

We just started using ETC (again, we've used it before on its own) as a supplement to All About Spelling. We don't tend to have any time to get AAS done on Wednesdays because we leave early for PE class; the same is true on field trip days (1x a month) and art coop days (1x a month), so I decided that on Wednesdays and usually Fridays (which is our art day) we'll do ETC and Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday (and sometimes on Friday if I want to continue a lesson from the day before), we'll do AAS. It's a nice mix as the ETC seems to complement well what we are doing in AAS. When we previously used ETC on its own with ds#1, I didn't feel it was quite enough. But, combined with AAS (which to me is a phoincs program, though we also use Hooked on Phonics), I think it's great practice for them to reinforce what we are learning elsewhere. HTH :D