Menu

Can you make rice in a regular crock pot?

I'm not sure. My rice cooker I got at Walmart looks like a crock pot but has a small hole in the lid to let the moisture out. Mine was really inexpensive so you might want to try that.

I guess you could leave the lid a little askew and the moisture might go out. Sorry I'm not more help. Have meatballs in my crock pot and rice in my rice cooker. Easy and yummy.

BTW, you can make rice really easy in the microwave. The directions are on the bag I threw away but I think you just add the rice and water and cook for about 20 minutes. Might want to shore those up though.

Watch out with rice cooked at low temperatures. I once added rice to a chicken casserole which I then cooked on low. The casserole was fine that night (at least it tasted fine) but when I tried to warm the chilled leftovers the next day it started to fizz, as if it was fermenting! I took a taste without thinking about it and it had a distinctly 'off' tang. I think that the slow cooking the previous day had allowed the rice starches to ferment.

All that to say: follow the PP's suggestion of cooking on high!

Laura

Watch out with rice cooked at low temperatures. I once added rice to a chicken casserole which I then cooked on low. The casserole was fine that night (at least it tasted fine) but when I tried to warm the chilled leftovers the next day it started to fizz, as if it was fermenting! I took a taste without thinking about it and it had a distinctly 'off' tang. I think that the slow cooking the previous day had allowed the rice starches to ferment.

All that to say: follow the PP's suggestion of cooking on high!

Laura

OK, cooking the rice on high for sure - thanks for the heads up!

• 3 weeks later...