Menu

Explode the Code users...question re: book 4

I'm working in 4 now with my 8yo. He's done the rest of the phonics in books 5-8 using other stuff. 4 is very good for attacking multisyllable words, but it does get a bit complicated with open and closed syllables. Honestly, I didn't know this stuff explicitly before ETC 4 although I guess I did it intuitively.

My 6yo is finishing up 3 and we'll be moving on to 5 because that seems like a more natural progression to me. I'd like to reinforce other phonics rules before doing the open and closed syllable stuff in the second half of 4.

We used 4 after 3 and I am very glad we did, because it really boosted my dd's reading skills. Open and closed syllables are, to me, phonics. My dd learned how to pronounce longer words and how to read compound words from what she learned in ETC4. ETC 5 moves on to multi-syllabic words, and I think knowing what 4 has taught helps.

Tara

I don't think a child "needs" to, but I think it helps, and I (personally) don't understand why so many people skip 4. I suspect that if some of the people who skipped it actually did it in order, they would be glad they did. Based on reading here, I *almost* skipped four, but I am glad I didn't.

Tara

Not Tara but I do not think they must have book 4 to move on to 5. There have been several similar thread to this one over the years and many chose to skip 4 altogether or do it later in the series. For us, we went ahead and did the books in order. My ds didn't get all the syllable division rules but like Tara said, I think it boosted both his reading and for us, his writing, too.

My vote would be to skip it now if you wish but don't skip it forever. It really does contain some great not-to-miss skills!

Not Tara but I do not think they must have book 4 to move on to 5. There have been several similar thread to this one over the years and many chose to skip 4 altogether or do it later in the series. For us, we went ahead and did the books in order. My ds didn't get all the syllable division rules but like Tara said, I think it boosted both his reading and for us, his writing, too.

My vote would be to skip it now if you wish but don't skip it forever. It really does contain some great not-to-miss skills!

Totally off topic but, hey Jennefer! How ya doin?!

Have you guys used ETC exclusively? I just started dd on ETC Book 1 and I'm just wondering if any of you supplement or use it as a stand alone phonics?

I'd love to hear responses to this, too, as I have just started ETC with my son. Actually, I think I will start a new thread if that is okay with selh09.

We did book 4 in order, but skipped the open/closed syllable sections as they were more confusing than helpful at that point for my daughter. I don't know if it was because she was in late K/1st at that point and they would make more sense to an older user? We never went back to them and it hasn't seemed to be a hindrance (we finished the entire series).

This is what I had planned to do, actually. I didn't want to skip it forever...just put it in later on and go on with book 5 for now.

For the person who asked about using ETC from the beginning...Yep. We started with book 1 when ds had just turned 5. Now he has just turned 6 and we are going to do either book 4 or 5 (finished 1-3). We do ETC online as well.

We also do Phonics Pathways mostly because we could get through it faster and at least skim the phonics rules. We did that (are still finishing) and we use ETC to further cement those over the years. PP was like the introduction to phonics whereas ETC is the foundation and groundwork to his mastery of phonics. Does that make any sense?

I'd love to hear responses to this, too, as I have just started ETC with my son. Actually, I think I will start a new thread if that is okay with selh09.

That's fine with me!!!! I thought about starting a new thread, I was just being lazy!!! :D I would love to hear what others have to say.

Totally off topic but, hey Jennefer! How ya doin?!

Hi, Pam! I am doing well...much better than in any month in the past year to be honest. :) The new school year has started well and minus one current case of suspected swine flu at our home everyone has been healthy all summer!

How are you?

Have you guys used ETC exclusively? I just started dd on ETC Book 1 and I'm just wondering if any of you supplement or use it as a stand alone phonics?

For us using ETC exclusively has worked just fine. Then again I've only used it with my oldest all the way through but so far my middle son is doing great, catching on fast and retaining it all. We use the Primary Phonics readers when are published by the same company that prints ETC. Our library carries them but I didn't know that until I bought the entire set. :tongue_smilie:

I would start with just ETC and see if it's enough for your dc. No reason to spend extra time and money on something else if this ends up being enough for you, too. After awhile if you see it's not sticking then spend the money on a supplement. That's just my .02 though!

I don't think a child "needs" to, but I think it helps, and I (personally) don't understand why so many people skip 4. I suspect that if some of the people who skipped it actually did it in order, they would be glad they did. Based on reading here, I *almost* skipped four, but I am glad I didn't.

Tara

:iagree: DS didn't absorb it right away, I had to help him a lot more than with ETC 3, and it took longer to work through, but it definitely helped his ability to break big words into workable parts (ie, syllables) and his reading fluency. If he gets stuck when reading, I'll break the word into it's syllables and he can usually tackle it. We tried skipping ETC 4 and going on to 5, but there are multi-syllable words in 5 that he couldn't figure out so we went back and did 4 first. No regrets, even with the extra work I highly recommend doing them in order. DD is working through ETC 4 now, slowly but surely. :)

I am at this point with my son and I feel like book 5 just makes more sense right now than taking time off phonics to explore compound words. Anyone else feel this way and skip book 4?

I personally would not skip Book 4. I understand why some do, but I wouldn't. Book 4 is when the code really begins to "explode"...:lol:.

Once they learn to read syllables (or word parts), their reading really takes off. They go from reading simple words to being able to read long, complex words. They really need that skill, in my opinion, for Book 5. If they've done Book 4, they fly through Book 5 and then they can read all kinds of interesting books. Atleast, that has been our experience.

Hi, Pam! I am doing well...much better than in any month in the past year to be honest. :) The new school year has started well and minus one current case of suspected swine flu at our home everyone has been healthy all summer!

How are you?

Glad to hear it. We are learning to be grateful here. We have a roof over our heads, food to eat and our bills are getting paid so we are content.:D

Of course I wouldn't mind a brand new car that is reliable. :tongue_smilie:

:auto: