Menu

Violin for 6-year old

We started violin for our 8 year old dd a few months back. The first thing of course is the purchase of the violin. Depending on the size of your daughter she will need either a 1/4 size or a 1/2 size. Because of the financial investment, we went with the 1/2 size even though it was a little big for her but she can have it for longer. The 1/4 size are really tiny and cute!

My dd is still learning scales, simple songs, how to properly bow, etc. She had a great lesson yesterday and was given a new "long" song to practice!

Good luck!

My 4-yo DD uses a 1/10 size - a nice, odd, expensive size. Your teacher will be able to size your child properly. We found a teacher who uses the Suzuki method since my daughter's not reading well yet. You will likely learn how to play the violin along with your child, or at least get a crash course. It's interesting, especially for a lefty like me!

We bought my son's violin from here:

http://www.sharmusic.com/

If you are in the US, you can rent violins from here or get store credit when your child needs the next size up if you return your previous instrument.

My six year old son has a 1/4 size.

They have a short video at the site about sizing. It's pretty easy to do yourself.

Hmm, what did you teacher say about the lefty thing? Here (in India) we were told that it didn't make a difference and they are making no change to accommodate the fact that dd is a lefty.

#2's teacher doesn't change them (He-teacher-is a lefty.) You have to get a custom built instrument, & it messes up the orchestra seating & symmetry due to your "backwards" bowing.

He also starts students as young as 3yo.

http://suzukiassociation.org/parents/twinkler/

I recommend reading Dr. Suzuki's Ability Development from Age Zero. It is an excellent little book that explains his philosophy. Oddly enough, it is a good parenting book in many ways, too.

Depending upon how closely you want to assist your child, you might also consider getting a violin. Dr. Suzuki recommends that the parents learn, at least a little bit. We set an example and can better help with technique if we are learning to play, too.

My daughter will go get her violin when I get mine out. She also likes it when we play songs together.