Menu

Grammar for 2nd grade DD: If FLL, where do we start? Alternatives?

melissel

I was halfheartedly doing grammar last year using Queen's Language Lessons for the Very Young, but we didn't get far. I picked it up again this year to do it more regularly, and I'm just really not satisfied with it. It's a lovely program, but it's not as rigorous as I'm looking for. So we started with FLL instead, but the 1st grade level is going way too slow for DD7, and it's making both of us a little crazy.

I'm not sure how to describe what I'm looking for: something that uses a more advanced method, but still starts at the beginning of grammar training, maybe? Something with less repetition that's more appropriate for a verbally advanced 7-year-old? What else is out there? I think I would have like FLL a year ago, but now I feel a bit lost in it, and it's not working for DD7 either.

Alternatively, is there a way to jump into FLL now? If I start in the middle of the book at the 2nd grade level, will we have missed out on the all that early instruction (as in, does it presuppose knowledge that we haven't acquired yet)? Does the 2nd grade level involve as much repetition?

TIA!

SWB designed FLL 3 to be an intro course for older beginners. If I were in your shoes, I would just skip your DD into FLL 3 and go through that slowly. If there's any particular concept your DD finds tricky in FLL 3, you can review that specifc part of speech using lessons from FLL 1/2.

I did FLL 1 and 2 before moving to 3. I can't imagine STARTING with 3, even working slow, but you should be alright starting with 2 and just spending a bit of extra time with something if she needs it. I would have to look back on it to be sure (and I have no idea where the book is) but I'm pretty sure that FLL1 doesn't cover anything that isn't reviewed sufficiently in FLL2.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with s.z.ichigo. All the parts of speech covered in FLL 1/2 are thoroughly repeated in FLL 3. That's the main reason I decided against doing FLL 3 with my oldest- the material covered is WAY too repetitive of FLL 1/2 for her. I wish that the level 3 book had been available when I started grammar with her because it would've been a much more appropriate intro.

How well do you know grammar? If you feel fairly competent, you could teach grammar w/o a textbook at this age.

I create daily copywork for my 2nd grader. After we review her copywork, I use her copy for a grammar/mechanics lesson. She has mastered nouns (including many abstract nouns), action verbs and action verbs with helping verbs, adjs, and advs.

I simply introduce one concept and work on it until it is mastered and then introduce a new one. However, she is expected to continue labeling all previously mastered concepts (no need for review or worrying if she has forgotten a concept.)

We use Shurley English for our ds, 2nd grader. He loves it and it seems pretty strenuous. She repeats concepts until they are drilled home, but everyday adds something new. He's classifying sentences well and just wrote his first expository paragraph. I haven't used FLL, as it didn't seem the correct format for us. He likes the challenge of SE, although I hate the time allocated - it takes a solid 30 minutes plus to go through the daily lesson. But G- seems to love it because everyday he is adding something new. It seems to break grammar down into building blocks and that fits my son's mathy/logical type brain.

Edited by rlowetx