Menu

You Know You're a Homeschool Mom When....

You're cooking dinner, and your children, along with teh boy next door, bring in a container of bones they found behind his family's shed. As I'm cooking, I'm telling them to pick up a bone, and asking them what they think it is...

His mom comes down, knocks on teh door and apologizes PROFUSELY because he brought them INTO the house! Let alone, the kitchen, WHILE I WAS cooking!!!!!! I told her it was not a problem, we're going to boil them and see if we can figure out what it is :D (I am a forensics freak, which doesn't hurt!!) Tomorrow, if the weather's good, we'll be back behind the shed, because over dinner, dd8 told me there was a TON of bones back there!!

We haven't identified them yet :) I have to wait until DH is out of the house to boil them. He's not quite as into bones and such as I am. And he might never use the kitchen again. And definitely not the pot that I boil them in. It's my canner, so no food actually goes in it ;) (yeah....Riiiiight!!!)

I don't mind specimens brought into the house. I have to slide the dead insect collection out of the way when I am rummaging in my freezer for dinner. Bones, feathers, etc. come home from walks all the time.

But...uhh...why do the neighbors have a pile of bones behind their shed? :001_huh: :tongue_smilie:

You know you're a HSing mom when.....

You *consider* bringing the dead oppossum on your street to your yard for decomp and future study.

Your neighbors come to you to identify any weird insects.

Your son has an "interesting dead bug" collection.

You have pet spiders you have found in the house.

You kid wants to dress up in a weird costume and not only are you ok with it, but he gets to wear it for 3 whole days, everywhere.

• 3 months later...

I have finally gotten some leisure time to catch-up on some posts and other things. The neighbors have some woods behind their yard. At first, I thought maybe the kids had dug up their old pet. But, the bones were too big for her. So, we figure, but the long jawbone, that it is either a possum or coon. And apparently, it wasn't directly behind their shed . That's just the trailhead that leads into the woods. :D

ETA: OOOPS. I thought this was a "share your story" thread... didn't mean to hijack!

I LOVE your bones story. I can hardly wait for this. I'm sure PDG will be fearless with carcasses. She has a strange fascination with all things blood-related.

You know you're a homeschooling mom when you 5 and 4 year olds set up their pop-up tent in the front yard, call it Rivendell, and defend it from the Orcs (neighbor boys).... or.... when the bad guy's name in all their "princess and the bad guy games" is Miraz.

Edited by BikeBookBread

You're cooking dinner, and your children, along with teh boy next door, bring in a container of bones they found behind his family's shed. As I'm cooking, I'm telling them to pick up a bone, and asking them what they think it is...

His mom comes down, knocks on teh door and apologizes PROFUSELY because he brought them INTO the house! Let alone, the kitchen, WHILE I WAS cooking!!!!!! I told her it was not a problem, we're going to boil them and see if we can figure out what it is :D (I am a forensics freak, which doesn't hurt!!) Tomorrow, if the weather's good, we'll be back behind the shed, because over dinner, dd8 told me there was a TON of bones back there!!

Why do you boil it?

ETA: I'm not sure why there is a frowning face at the top, I'm not actually upset about the boiling.... LOL