Menu

One of my chickens is laying eggs without a shell

Sounds like a calcium issue. Do they have oyster shell available to them?

Yup-she probably needs more calcium. Are you just letting them free range or do you give them feed?

(Firefly, I love your blog! (and I'm a total Joss fangrl))

Edited by justamouse

Yup-she probably needs more calcium. Are you just letting them free range or do you give them feed?

They get layers' feed morning and night and free range during they day. The rest of the flock are EXCELLENT egg layers, very healthy. That's why I thought it was odd that it's just one. Maybe I should supplement the whole flock with some oyster shell?

Thanks!!

Lisa

They get layers' feed morning and night and free range during they day. The rest of the flock are EXCELLENT egg layers, very healthy. That's why I thought it was odd that it's just one. Maybe I should supplement the whole flock with some oyster shell?

Thanks!!

Lisa

Hunh. Are they not letting her get to an layer feed? Is she a new layer?

Hunh. Are they not letting her get to an layer feed? Is she a new layer?

They all have been laying for about three months. I can't figure out which one it is, and why she's not getting her share of feed, if that's what the problem is. I'll have to send my spies (dds) out to watch closely throughout the day and maybe see what's going on!

thanks!

Lisa

I was just reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and this is what her turkeys did at first. She said that this was typical when their oviduct is just getting started. So same question as was just asked, is this hen just beginning to lay eggs?

[hijack]'Sup, fangrl!!! LOL Always nice to meet another Joss fan. And thanks for the kind words about my blog. :) [/hijack]

Momto5girls-- It's not unusual for eggs to be weird from time to time (especially from newer layers), but if it's happening regularly it's worth investigating a little further. If it were me I'd try the oyster shell to start-- it's cheap and easy enough to do. I'll poke around in my "Chicken Health Handbook" after dinner and see if they have any info for you...

I was just reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and this is what her turkeys did at first. She said that this was typical when their oviduct is just getting started. So same question as was just asked, is this hen just beginning to lay eggs?

I love that book! I just started reading it, and used it for some great recipes.

I think it must be one of my newer layers, as the egg is on the smaller side. It sounds logical, and if it keeps happening I'll explore it further, maybe add more calcium.

Thanks ladies!!

Lisa

It's just a hiccup in her system. We get the occasional shell-less egg here and there (the newest pullets aren't even laying yet, so I can't say it's always new layers that get the hiccups).

Something else to watch out for -- another "hiccup." Sometimes we get a teeny, tiny little egg (and inch or two high).

Also rare, but a little more common than the shell-less, is the s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out egg that looks like someone grabbed it by the top and p-u-l-l-e-d. The kids LOVE those. Some can be really funny-lookin'.

Enjoy!

ETA: And if you've got some of the really good laying breeds, you'll get the occasional HUGE double-yolker. The kids fight over those --

"It's mine!"

"Nooooo! I saw it first!"

:lol:

Edited by zaichiki

This happens a few times a week. It has its membrane to hold the egg together, but no shell. It has a squishy kind of feel. The kids think it's cool. I think it's just wierd. Maybe she's dropping the egg too early, before the hard shell develops?

Blessings,

Lisa

So, I opened the board and I see this thread and do a double take...One of her CHILDREN is laying eggs :blink: Probably has nothing to do with the fact that I am totally whooped. No energy, no brain power, no nuthin!