Menu

Ok, I am ready to blow up this room. Somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong.

I have finshed painting the fushia room from H*ll. I have a nice even coat with good coverage. I taped around the ceilings to prevent getting any paint on the ceiling and then cut in very carefully. In spite of that fact, the was still places where the paint overlapped the tape. When I went to remove the tape it pulled away pieces of paint in certain areas. So they are several small areas between a dime and quarter size where along the ceiling of each wall that is entirely missing the paint. I have done two other rooms in this house with exactly the same paint without these problems. I can not figure out what I am doing differently.

In any case, I now need to fix the problem. I can go back with a small brush and simply fill in those small spots. It would not be perfectly smooth but at least it would all be the same color. That would drive my OCD self insane though. SO I could score a one inch deapth line all around the ceiling and remove the paint and then carefully repaint that area. That would give me a smoother finish and look almost as good as if it had been done right in the first place but it would be a lot of work and this is has taken too long already and I am tired of working on it.

Other option include a wall border but I can find a plain paintable one nor can I find one that matches her room. I have also considered footboard as a ceiling trim but that would be prohibitively expensive. So how do I fix this and more importanatly, how do I prevent it from happen when I paint the five other room I have to do?

How soon did you remove the tape? Sometimes, if you don't pull it down right away and the paint is allowed to dry on the tape, then it will pull off chunks of paint with the tape. Also, make sure you stick with the blue tape or the green tape. Also, if you have any of your ceiling paint left, and you want to be super anal/ocd about a perfect line, try this: tape off your ceiling area, then go over the edge of the tape, on the side that you'll be painting (in your case fuschia) with your ceiling paint. This will seal the edge of the tape and prevent any of the (fuschia) from leaking under and ruining your nice paint line. This method also works well when trying to transition paint colors for those of us with rounded wall corners.

How soon did you remove the tape? Sometimes, if you don't pull it down right away and the paint is allowed to dry on the tape, then it will pull off chunks of paint with the tape. Also, make sure you stick with the blue tape or the green tape. Also, if you have any of your ceiling paint left, and you want to be super anal/ocd about a perfect line, try this: tape off your ceiling area, then go over the edge of the tape, on the side that you'll be painting (in your case fuschia) with your ceiling paint. This will seal the edge of the tape and prevent any of the (fuschia) from leaking under and ruining your nice paint line. This method also works well when trying to transition paint colors for those of us with rounded wall corners.

This is exactly the problem. We are using the blue paint but haven't been taking it down until we are finished with all coats. and they are dry. I will try that idea as it sounds like it just may work. Thanks.

Dh had similar frustrations painting our Living Room. The technique he developmed that made him happy is the following: First, he paints the ceiling, windows, and baseboards. He purposefully lets paint go up onto the wall area, because knows he can paint over it. When he's ready for the wall color, he usues a small paintbrush (the kind you'd use for an art project--really, really fine for what he's doing) and carefully paints his lines around the ceiling, windows, baseboards. It takes him forever (!) but is the only thing that makes him happy with the result. (I guess he's a little OCD about this, too. :lol:) He then paints far enough down from his line that he's comfortable using bigger painting tools to finish the job.

That won't help you with your current situation, but thought I'd share for future reference. (Or not... :D)

Taping never works here. Dh does the edges, because he can cut in with a paintbrush and leave a perfectly straight line.

I would go with using a small brush to paint over those spots. You could fill it in with a first coat, then lightly sand the area (to get rid of the "drop-off point," then paint another coat or two, feathering it out into the surrounding area.

This is exactly the problem. We are using the blue paint but haven't been taking it down until we are finished with all coats. and they are dry. I will try that idea as it sounds like it just may work. Thanks.

Yeah, I used to get frustrated w/ the same thing, but I had *no* idea you were supposed to pull the tape up while the paint was still wet. When I started doing that (carefully, so the paint doesn't sling), it was much better.

We also (carefully) used those edger tools. I love them.

And, fwiw, we got a lot of experience on our house. Every room was a different color, w/ cream-colored ceilings. You get sick of doing touch-ups *really* fast that way, lol.

Thank you guys so much! We finally bought a roll of paintable wallpaper and had rolls cut to border width. It is prepasted so now we just have to paint it the same color aas the trim and then wet and hang. That will take care of the problem this time and now I know what to do next time. Hopefully we will be done with this project today or tomorrow and then I can get this child back in her room and move on to other rooms.

Wanted to add a few things...

I also usually try to remove the tape as soon as I'm done while the paint is still a little wet to get a cleaner line...

IF it's dried already - I score the line between the paint and the tape with something to try to get the tape off with a cleaner line... I just use my putty knife or whatever I have that will work... That's worked pretty well if I didn't get the tape off in time.

I never, ever tape. It's a nightmare, tape is. Paint pulls off, leaks under... blech. My mom used to paint professionally and she never used tape, either. I just roll, then cut in with an angled brush.

And my paint OCD goes into overdrive because I live in a house built in the 1860s with some sort of mean things done to it in the interim; nothing is straight and there have been some pretty skill-less "enhancements" done. It probably doesn't help that I like deep colors on the walls, and they only serve to enhance the visual wonkiness. I usually end up going around the room with a few artist brushes of various sizes stuck in my hair and a little cup of paint to visually correct any weird spots.

this is why my husband and I split the job of painting.

I have no patience for "the edges" and he is too much of a perfectionist to be able to tackle a whole room. So I do the main painting, get as close as I can... them he does all the edges, by hand.

It is like therapy to him.

Not really any help, just needed to share.

;)

Kidshappen, this is probably your best bet.

However, I have a question for you. You've done a ton of painting, right? Why do you still bother with tape, even that super special blue tape, when you are painting a colored wall against a different colored ceiling? My guess is that your cutting-in ability is excellent. As a lazy painter, I have to ask out of curiosity. I gave up the tape years ago, because I noticed in some of our local model homes done by the pros that their lines with tape weren't any better or even as good as mine. I hate fixing tape problems. Well, I also don't care for taping either.

That said, I can't seem to manage the same level of skill when working on the vertical and having two different colored walls meet.

I never, ever tape. It's a nightmare, tape is. Paint pulls off, leaks under... blech. My mom used to paint professionally and she never used tape, either. I just roll, then cut in with an angled brush.

And my paint OCD goes into overdrive because I live in a house built in the 1860s with some sort of mean things done to it in the interim; nothing is straight and there have been some pretty skill-less "enhancements" done. It probably doesn't help that I like deep colors on the walls, and they only serve to enhance the visual wonkiness. I usually end up going around the room with a few artist brushes of various sizes stuck in my hair and a little cup of paint to visually correct any weird spots.

Oh, you are a woman after my own heart.:lol: No tape. No tape. No tape. I won't. I won't. I won't.