Menu

A filter that makes internet safe for kids?

Anything out there that will block swear words, violence & nudity? My son has autism and obsessed with logos...he's quite able to google and poke around youtube looking for some logo presentations or animations, but has recently come across a few swear words which he quite gingerly picked up and has been repeating. I already have ZAK Browser (which IS GREAT!) but it doesn't allow him access to our comp's applications (he loves designing logos) and there are many, many great things he sees on youtube, so I don't want to block youtube.... anyone have any solutions?

Thank you, Bonnie. I will check it out. I'm still hoping there is one out there that will let my boy access youtube but block the bad words... it's a tough situation, but I can't be the only one wanting this creature! I hope it exists! :001_smile:

We use k-9, too. I have found that it either lets you on to Youtube or it simply doesn't. :glare: So far, we've opted for the simply doesn't part. If you find something that helps weed out the bad from the good, please post it here because there are a lot of things I would like my dc to enjoy on Youtube, preferably without my immediate supervision.

Anything out there that will block swear words, violence & nudity? My son has autism and obsessed with logos...he's quite able to google and poke around youtube looking for some logo presentations or animations, but has recently come across a few swear words which he quite gingerly picked up and has been repeating. I already have ZAK Browser (which IS GREAT!) but it doesn't allow him access to our comp's applications (he loves designing logos) and there are many, many great things he sees on youtube, so I don't want to block youtube.... anyone have any solutions?

Yes, it's called "mom and dad."

Even the best filter programs will miss things. The only way to safely allow your child internet access is to prescreen materials and only allow browsing with your presence. We've believed videos on Youtube were safe and designed for kids, only to have them cut to something scary, violent, or sexual at the end...prank videos are common, because some people really enjoy scaring kids.

Thank you all, I will look into the ones mentioned. :001_smile:

Our comp is in the kitchen and we have an open-concept home, so my son is quite supervised. I just wanted to find something that could act as a helping hand in addition to being supervised. Especially, as smrtmama has said, many seemingly good clips have (edited-in) surprise endings that you can't foresee, even if you're sitting right there. This has been our experience with swear words on logo animations, especially the PBS ones. And no, I can't pre-screen everything and "only allow" when I'm sitting right beside him... he has autism and I know he wouldn't understand that. He is also a computer guru and very quick with the keyboard and mouse and can fly through 10 different websites faster than I can go to 2. Anyhow, thank you, I will be looking into all those filters mentioned. :001_smile:

My son's computer is right next to mine in the room we use for our homeschooling. I can easily see what he's watching.

ya. thanks. Doesn't answer my question.

Did i mention he has autism? I can't just discuss things with him that he's seen that are inappropriate. There's a lack of comprehension there. Just ONE swear word ONE time and he'll echo it for everyone for all of eternity. Just ONE image of something scary and he'll be scared of whatever for years. Yes, he IS supervised. But it doesn't matter if I'm right beside him or not. I just wanted an extra measure.

Sorry I started this thread. I'm feeling attacked here, and perhaps I should have just posted on the Special Needs forum. A rare few understand.

Sorry I started this thread. I'm feeling attacked here

My apologies. It was certainly not my intent to attack you in any way. Sometimes I post my response before reading through all of the postings in a thread. Had I read to the end, I would have seen that you already have the computer out in the open, and I would not have added my post.