Menu

My math skills still stink

Karen in CO

I'm just whining here.

I was great at math in high school. I excelled at math in college. I peaked out in math somewhere in DiffEqs. I never used math other than matrix conversions in my professional career. I stunk teaching my ds Alegbra and beyond. Today, my dd8 reminded me how rusty my math skills have become. She is working through a math puzzle book and came to a page with simple equations to reduce to determine the unknown number - should be easy for me to explain. Apparently, I no longer know how to reduce equations. I no longer remember what is and is not permissible in solving equations. Was I supposed to carry that sign all the way through? Can I divide to get rid of that number? :confused:

She decided that she will soon need a tutor in math. I suppose I need to pull out those higher level math books and get busy. I've been happily reading up on higher literature and deeper history, but I've ignored my short comings in math.

I just wasn't expecting this child to bypass my math skills so soon. I thought I had more time. :rolleyes:

I have Life of Fred Fractions and the Algebra set. I think I might start with Fractions. I was going to pull out NEM or one of my real Algebra book or something, but I think I need to back wayyy up. I saw Amazon had Dummies Guide. Either that or just buy the Chalkdust dvds and be done with it.

Do you think I will forget it all again before the last once starts through? My brother is a high school math teacher. Maybe I can just send the girls to him in the summers. :)

Sometimes I feel like I have it all under control, then I realize that I'm really just juggling cats. It'd be nice if my kids would just start at the front of a math book and work forward then I could easily stay ahead.

I just started tutoring a girl in College Algebra and our first session was torture. I love math, but I'd forgotten a lot. I'm going find out our topics ahead of time from now on and study up before a session. It is fun to relearn :)

On a different note, what math puzzle book was that? I'm intrigued. Sounds like something my oldest would love in a few years.

Do you think I will forget it all again before the last once starts through?

Definitely. The good thing though is that given how close the younger two are in age, you won't have nearly so long to be ignorant!

My brother is a high school math teacher. Maybe I can just send the girls to him in the summers. :)

Sounds like a plan to me.

Sometimes I feel like I have it all under control, then I realize that I'm really just juggling cats.

We'll have to start a club - the Well-Trained Cat Jugglers.

Regards,

Kareni