Menu

LoF pre-algebra for 6th grade

mazakaal

I've been trying to figure out what to do for math with my 6th grader. He's done Singapore Math up until this point in our homeschool, and it went really well until 5th grade when nothing seemed to click with him.

I decided to switch to Life of Fred Fractions and then Decimals and Percents and will start with them in November. Someone here said that it won't be a full year of math for him this year. So I've been trying to figure out what to do with him afterwards. I thought about doing TT7, but I've just found out that pre-algebra should be ready in a couple of months, just when I'll be done with the other books.

Would pre-algebra be usable for a 6th grader who's finished Fractions and Decimals and Percents? Could he then do algebra next year in 7th? I've heard it's best to wait until 8th for algebra. Should I just do TT7 this year and wait on pre-algebra until next year?

The LoF author suggested a sequence to me that has the student taking the Pre-Algebra in 6th grade, but it might just take more than the 4-8 months that he intends, which is no big deal. Is Pre-Alg ready already!? The LoF Beginning Alg is Alg. 1 so that would not be great for a 6th grader, but if Pre-Alg is ready, I'd say go for it! That's our plan too!

Remember that you could continue the series each grade, but you could take more time on them since you have a younger child, or I've hear of some using the Key To...series as a supplement.

My 6th grader is doing pre-algebra this year (Dolciani). He completed LOF fractions last year and we are also working through LOF decimals. Before that we worked through 5a of Singapore. He is having no problems with pre-algebra. I plan on buying LOF pre-algebra as soon as it is available.

My plan is to take 3 years to get through pre-algrebra and the combination of two algebra programs.

So would beginning algebra be okay for a 7th grader then, after he's completed pre-algebra?

He's in 7th grade. He's very bright in general, but just about average in maths, I would say. He has previously done Galore park SY Maths 1 and 2, which might be roughly equivalent to US pre-algebra. He has also done LOF Fractions, Decimals and Percents as review. He's doing well with the LOF Beginning Algebra.

Laura