Menu

tennis---high school credits?

Another possibility would be to consider tennis as an extracurricular activity. For instance, the Common Application asks the student to list hours of activities since 9th grade. (They are also asked to list work hours and community service hours.)

You might want to make the determination when your son is closer to applying to college when you can see whether it would behoove him to consider that time as classtime or as an extracurricular activity.

Regards,

Kareni

I am just curious, how does your son have so many credits in other subjects? Thanks.

My son is a as good tennis player as anyone in our town. But I do not mean he spends many hours like your son. Oh, no. If he would be in the team, He would have some conflict with other schedules. So he chose not to be in the team althought he could be a big help to the team. Still he often plays tennis to keep up. Yes, he has many credits as a 9th last year. As an example, he went through 3 maths( Calculus 1, 2 and 3). Similarly, he did multiple courses in each sbuject, including several in music.

Mine did gymnastics. I counted that as extracurricular (so it looked like a sport). That made it easier for me to list the gymnastics achievements on his transcript. I just made a box for extracurricular and wrote in it. Listing gymnastics every year as PE would have given him an unlikely-looking number of credits, also, and I didn't want to list it as PE one year and not another year. I wouldn't have bothered about PE credits at all, since I seriously doubt colleges care and the only real use we had for the transcript was for college admissions, but I was trying to make sure my son had all the same credits as the minimum town requirements (in case someone asked at his interview or something) and our town has one credit of required PE. I put down things he'd had outside lessons in - 1/2 year rockclimbing and 1/2 year snowboarding. He snowboarded for more than 1/2 a year's credit LOL, but he had lessons one winter at the beginning of high school, so I counted that. I suppose it also made his list of classes look more varied. Anyway, that it what I did.

-Nan

yes, you COULD put it was P.E. However, *I* wouldn't. I just wouldn't cheapen it down to a credit per year. It is worth more than a credit time wise, experience wise, accomplishment wise, etc. There is, imo, a more appropriate location on a college app to put it which will give it more weight as what it really is (a sport, a passion, an interest, something followed through on, etc).

Now the cross training, research, etc that he does in addition, I may give P.E. credit, if you need it. But most people don't need P.E. credit on a transcript at all.

Another possibility would be to consider tennis as an extracurricular activity. For instance, the Common Application asks the student to list hours of activities since 9th grade. (They are also asked to list work hours and community service hours.)

You might want to make the determination when your son is closer to applying to college when you can see whether it would behoove him to consider that time as classtime or as an extracurricular activity.

Regards,

Kareni

That's what we will do as well. I feel that they are better off counting their physical conditioning as PE and counting their outside sports as sports for extracurricular. I think the impact of the extracurricular stuff on a transcript is much more than the impact of a couple PE credits.

As has been discussed re: dance, you can count it as both. His regular practice can be PE, while the tournaments can be counted as extra. My kids have lots of family sailing time both just going out for fun & local racing. Since it's the norm for ps kids to have PE credit (plus our cover school requires 1) I put it at least 1 credit on the transcript.

Both my high schoolers play tennis and are on the high school tennis team during tennis season. All year long they take lessons as well as practice with each other and friends. I count it as their PE credit. They also cross train and will write papers about tennis, nutrition and exercise to name a few to round out the credit.

Hello,

My son is a tennis player. He trains about 15 hours a week and competes in tournaments.

Can I count this as PE for all four years on a high school transcript? Or can I put it as something else?

Thank you.

We count my teens sports for PE credit.

Ds does about 4 hrs a week in Kung Fu, and 2-3 hrs a week bowling.

Dd competes in tournaments and trains about 15 hours a week and for about 6 weeks before a tournament she ups her training to about 25 hours a week.

They also run/walk a few times a week, and do Civil Air Patrol fitness/drills once a week.

I have them keep a PE log to receive credit.

yes, you COULD put it was P.E. However, *I* wouldn't. I just wouldn't cheapen it down to a credit per year. It is worth more than a credit time wise, experience wise, accomplishment wise, etc. There is, imo, a more appropriate location on a college app to put it which will give it more weight as what it really is (a sport, a passion, an interest, something followed through on, etc).

Now the cross training, research, etc that he does in addition, I may give P.E. credit, if you need it. But most people don't need P.E. credit on a transcript at all.

I don't feel that a sport is cheapened by listing it as PE credit.