Menu

If you keep a "guest book"...

What we did in the past. We had pages for events. Ie. if it was a birthday party, I would decorate the page with little balloon pictures and streamers and all the guests would sign. If it was a dinner party, I would decorate the page with pretty flower stickers or something like that and all the guests would sign. If we had overnight guests or guests visiting that were out of the norm, I would have them sign. I did not have the neighbor or friend or family member who just dropped by for awhile, sign the book.

We have a house we bought for when they kick us out of the Rectory--so it's really our home, but we don't live there yet. We keep a journal, adding an entry every time we visit. Just simple entries go in--when we came, what we did around the house (mow, rebuild the deck, visit Wally World, etc.) and sometimes what we ate or how many crabs we caught at the dock. Other people who use our house also sign it.

But it's more like a vacation home (although it's not vacation-y). I wouldn't keep one here.

I have friends who keep one. Whenever anyone comes over, they sign their name and the reason for the visit (dinner, bible study, whatever). Once, when I went over to help with housework because the wife had broken her wrist, she had me sign the book and write down what I did for her that day! LOL

Wow, I never thought of keeping a guest book, and I honestly think my friends and family would think I was positively insane if I asked them to "sign in" when they visited. (And please note that they currently only view me as being "possibly insane," so I'm trying to maintain my image. ;) )

In my area, guest books are the things you sign when you go to a wake or a funeral, to the whole concept of having one in the house is entirely foreign to me.

On the other hand, Jennifer's idea of putting one in the guest room is pretty cool -- sort of a fun "bed and breakfast" atmosphere!

Cat

My parents always kept a guest book, and we received one as a wedding gift from someone who knew that tradition. The "rule" is that you have to at least stay here for a meal to sign the guest book--we don't just have the neighbor who stops in for a chat sign it. We do have people sign each time they visit even if they've signed in before. We foget almost as often as we remember. It's fun, though, to look back through the years and see who was here when. I especially enjoy looking through my parents' guest book now and seeing how the signatures of all their grandchildren have changed over the years as they've gotten older.

Wow, I never thought of keeping a guest book, and I honestly think my friends and family would think I was positively insane if I asked them to "sign in" when they visited. (And please note that they currently only view me as being "possibly insane," so I'm trying to maintain my image. ;) )

In my area, guest books are the things you sign when you go to a wake or a funeral, to the whole concept of having one in the house is entirely foreign to me.

On the other hand, Jennifer's idea of putting one in the guest room is pretty cool -- sort of a fun "bed and breakfast" atmosphere!

Cat

Ditto. I may have to consider one for a guest room once we live somewhere where we have a guest room!