• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Everyone!

My dh and I are trying to decide on a city to eventually move to and start a business. We have narrowed it down to a few places- one of them being Chattanooga, TN. We have yet to even visit Chattanooga but most of the statistics point to this being a good place to land. My dh wants me to schedule a trip to Chat. with our 5modd to check out the area and look at real estate in the near future. We would probably live on the outskirts of the city. I have looked at HSLDA site to check out homeschooling laws- but I wanted to get some first-hand input on the ease/difficulty of hsing in TN. Any comments re: Chattanooga would also be appreciated! Any reason NOT to consider Chattanooga?

FYI: We currently live in WA state- and we both were midwesterners before moving West.

thanks in advance for your help:)

We lived in Chattanooga for 8 yrs and absolutely loved it there. It was extremely hard for us to move away.

There are literally thousands of homeschoolers in the area. Hixson, East Ridge, and Ooltewah/Collegedale all have lots of homeschoolers, though Hixson is probably one of the more dominant areas.

Your kids are still young, but Hilger Higher Learning is an excellent source. It is a homeschool "school" with certified teachers. The kids go 1-2 days a week and get assignments for the week. The biology teacher is amazing.

As far as housing......living outside the city limits will cut your taxes to 1/3 of city rates. Housing is cheap.....we paid over 1/3 more for a comparable house were we moved to (not even really comparable since in Chattanooga we had 8 wooded acres.....ok, I am going to cry.) We sold our house in under a week this yr, so it isn't a severly depressed or overly inflated market.

If you are a Christian looking for specific religious contacts, etc, I can probably put you in touch with someone or at least steer you toward a support group for what you are looking for.

We have moved a lot and Chattanooga is by far my favorite place we have lived. (and homeschooling laws in TN are very, very simple)

We lived in Chattanooga for 8 yrs and absolutely loved it there. It was extremely hard for us to move away.

There are literally thousands of homeschoolers in the area. Hixson, East Ridge, and Ooltewah/Collegedale all have lots of homeschoolers, though Hixson is probably one of the more dominant areas.

Your kids are still young, but Hilger Higher Learning is an excellent source. It is a homeschool "school" with certified teachers. The kids go 1-2 days a week and get assignments for the week. The biology teacher is amazing.

As far as housing......living outside the city limits will cut your taxes to 1/3 of city rates. Housing is cheap.....we paid over 1/3 more for a comparable house were we moved to (not even really comparable since in Chattanooga we had 8 wooded acres.....ok, I am going to cry.) We sold our house in under a week this yr, so it isn't a severly depressed or overly inflated market.

If you are a Christian looking for specific religious contacts, etc, I can probably put you in touch with someone or at least steer you toward a support group for what you are looking for.

We have moved a lot and Chattanooga is by far my favorite place we have lived. (and homeschooling laws in TN are very, very simple)

I am happy to hear that there is such a large homeschooling population in and around Chattanooga! I will look into the areas you mentioned- I would love to have a few acres (please don't cry;)). Is there any athletic programs specifically for homeschoolers- or are homeschoolers allowed to take part in the public school activities? (my dh wants to know:tongue_smilie:)

Any links that you can provide to local groups would be appreciated. Our move is probably a couple of years off- but if we can find a good deal on a home, we may try to purchase it soon and rent it out until we are ready to relocate.

Thanks so much for sharing your love of the area-we move a lot too and I know how hard it it to leave a place you love. I am very hopeful that our next move will be our last...at least our last relocation.

When I do visit- do you have any restaurants or other must see/do activities to give me a real feel for the area?

Thanks so much!

Guest 3Girls

I would like to know (if it's ok) what some of you are paying for registration? I am currently with Lighthouse Christian Academy and they charge $200-250 a year. I just talked with a friend this weekend and she said that there is an umbrella school that charges only $75 for first child and then $35 for the others! Could this be true? And if so, will this be a good thing to get my child into. I mean, with LCA I was getting a diploma, cap and gown, and ring. I'm a little nervous about Umbrella-ing. I was told from the Board of Education here in Hickman County that since I was actually paying for curriculumn then I was considered to be PRIVATE school not homeschool. Are you still considered Private in the Umbrella school? I'm assuming so, since you will BUY the curriculum and not just make up something for your child to study.

Please help.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to know (if it's ok) what some of you are paying for registration? I am currently with Lighthouse Christian Academy and they charge $200-250 a year. I just talked with a friend this weekend and she said that there is an umbrella school that charges only $75 for first child and then $35 for the others! Could this be true? And if so, will this be a good thing to get my child into. I mean, with LCA I was getting a diploma, cap and gown, and ring. I'm a little nervous about Umbrella-ing. I was told from the Board of Education here in Hickman County that since I was actually paying for curriculumn then I was considered to be PRIVATE school not homeschool. Are you still considered Private in the Umbrella school? I'm assuming so, since you will BUY the curriculum and not just make up something for your child to study.

Please help.

Thanks

We recently moved from Tennessee :leaving:

(hubby's job change), but we used Gateway Christian School (out of Memphis) as our umbrella school.

They are a "real" school, too, but they have the umbrella option... and they are GREAT! You submit your curriculum list when you register for the year, and then there are two semesters for which you submit grades and attendance reports - that's it! Last year (if I remember correctly) it was $45 for the first student and $30 for the second. I might be remembering wrong, but it was very reasonable compared to some of the others we considered.

http://www.gatewaychristianschools.com/gatewaychristianschools_004.htm

Hope that helps! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am highly considering moving to Chattanooga, but I want to make sure it is somewhere we want to live for at least 10 years. I would love to know of any Christian contacts that you have! Thanks!

Please help.

Thanks

We're in Dickson County!

I use FCA (Family Christian Academy) over in Madison as our umbrella school - to be absolutely technical, Becca is a private school student attending FCA at a satellite campus (our home). I am her teacher. Registration was around $50 for the whole year, and I submit a curriculum list, grades, and # of days attended. They keep records and issue student/teacher ID cards, etc. I can submit everything online.

I've read through their handbook, and they issue diplomas and the "whole nine yards" to high school graduates as well, so I'm not sure why LCA is so much more expensive!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm new here to the forum, but I'm liking what I see. Looking for other homeschooling families in East TN. We live between Chattanooga and Knoxville (about 1 hour to each) off I-75 about 30 minutes. I have two endearing boys that love to do outdoor stuff, build with legos & k'nex, make stuff, hunt for treasure outdoors, and ride bikes. Anyone have some playmates for my lonely boys? See ages below in signature.

• 2 months later...

I'm in the Tri-Cities. Would love to meet other moms with children in my age range and even not in their range. We are looking into starting a homeschool co op sometime in the near future and are looking for mommy's who want to help out. Plus, I need some homeschool mommy friends :)

I mostly just read and learn from these boards so my name will probably show "just visiting" forever!

Yep, that's me as well. Been homeschooling for 18 years and I don't have the time to reply - and why should I with so many wonderful and diverse opinions that are already posted! I just generally "lurk"....

Hello Everyone!

My dh and I are trying to decide on a city to eventually move to and start a business. We have narrowed it down to a few places- one of them being Chattanooga, TN. We have yet to even visit Chattanooga but most of the statistics point to this being a good place to land. My dh wants me to schedule a trip to Chat. with our 5modd to check out the area and look at real estate in the near future. We would probably live on the outskirts of the city. I have looked at HSLDA site to check out homeschooling laws- but I wanted to get some first-hand input on the ease/difficulty of hsing in TN. Any comments re: Chattanooga would also be appreciated! Any reason NOT to consider Chattanooga?

FYI: We currently live in WA state- and we both were midwesterners before moving West.

thanks in advance for your help:)

I grew up in Chattanooga and still have family there (actually Hixson & Soddy Daisy) It is a wonderful place to live - and downtown Chattanooga is very family friendly...aquarium, river walk, Coolidge Park (outdoor carousel, water fountains to play in, etc.), science museum, railroad museum, Imax....AND the wonderful mountains and water sports!! There is a large homeschool group there and they have a nice conference every year. I didn't homeschool or have kids when we lived there but I've kept up with things a little and gone to one of their conferences.

Anyway, just a plug for Chattanooga,

Penny who is stuck in flat Memphis

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...