Menu

when 100 ez lessons becomes well.....

mlgbug

BORING. ive heard ofthis happeneing. but it was going SO well, now its like this

me "Gabriella its time for a quick reading lesson"

her "nooo its sooo boring. i just sit there and say aaaa shhshsh uuu, its boring mom"

arent tehre some FUN phonics/ learn to read things?

Happy Phonics. It's mostly phonics games used in a certain order with a few readers thrown in. Most people use it as a supplement, but some use it alone and do fine.

My ds got bored with The Reading Lesson about halfway through. We switched to 100 Easy Lessons and now he's much happier. He thinks the stories are funny. Each kid is different.

i have been doing the paint chip phonics games. and she is sooo lazy. like emabarred to show what she knows and whats shes able to do...

She isn't lazy! She is four!

Phonics is boring (if you want my opinion), but it's a necessary evil like math facts.

Follow her lead. If she wants to do reading lessons, do them, but if she doesn't, don't force her.

I have one who begged to learn to read at four. She could sound things out but was getting stuck on the non-phonetic words that occur even in simple readers, and really WANTED to learn. So we tried 100EL. No, every lesson was not fun. Yes, she asked to stop. But I found that a little bribery worked wonders, and the promise of two tiny tootsie rolls upon completing a lesson was enough to motivate her. We only got through about half the book, though--by then she could read nearly anything and the book was REALLY boring!

But that was only one child, and she an exception. I've tried 100EL with each of my younger children as well, and have abandoned it each time. It became quickly obvious that it was not a good fit for my middle child and we stopped when we'd barely begun. I gave him time and lots of practice, and while at 9 he's still not a great reader, he's getting there.

With my youngest I tried 100EL at 5, but gave it up when he fought me tooth and nail. I figured he wasn't ready and picked it up again as he approached 6. We painfully made it to lesson 50, but it wasn't clicking and I was tired of forcing it. I'm now donating the book to my co-op library, and we're moving on.

So long story short, if a little outside motivation works, go for it. But if it's becoming more effort than it's worth, either take a break or abandon it altogether. If she's ready at 4, she'll get it. If she's not you'll just make everyone miserable by trying to force the issue. Four is so much fun--enjoy it while it lasts!

I completely agree with the JudoMom. She is just a baby. My daughter is almost 3.5 and I follow her lead. If she wants to read, do an activity or not, it is her call at this age. She has her WHOLE life ahead. Many people don't even start formal phonics lessons with their dc until they are five. Just let her enjoy books, read to her more often. I would back off for a bit, seriously. The last thing you want to do at this age is kill her love for learning and forcing her to do things she does not enjoy will do just this.

So long story short, if a little outside motivation works, go for it. But if it's becoming more effort than it's worth, either take a break or abandon it altogether. If she's ready at 4, she'll get it. If she's not you'll just make everyone miserable by trying to force the issue. Four is so much fun--enjoy it while it lasts!

:iagree: To be honest, this is one of my biggest parenting regrets. My oldest seemed so old at four, but I was comparing him to his 3 & 1 year old brothers :sad:. I put way to much pressure on him and I didn't enjoy his four-ness, and that was not fair to him. Because he seemed so old (after all, he was the oldest child I'd ever had) and because I wanted to prove to dh that I could homeschool, I forced him to sit down for phonics lessons and became frustrated when he showed his age. Now that the baby is almost 4 and I'm comparing him to his 5, 7, 9, & 10 year old brothers, he is so young. I can't imagine forcing him to sit down and learn to read.

My ds5 started asking to learn to read at 3, but his attention span couldn't handle it. So when he'd ask for a lesson I would get out Phonics Pathways, we'd make it through a couple of sounds, and then he'd run off. A day or week or month later he'd ask for another lesson and we would repeat.

Please, don't make the same mistake I did. Enjoy her four-ness. It really is a brilliantly fun time.

she WANTS to learn. like a magical power will make her learn. she cries to learnto read, but hates the fact that she does have to sit down in order to learn. its not gonna happen.....

thats where im stuck. i have a child wanting it soooo bad, yet, doesnt want to try

My four year wants to learn until we get the books out and then its' not I don't want to. Go Figure. She usually tags along with 5 year old. My 5 year old doesn't like repeating the sounds because he knows them. We are only on lesson 15 after using this book for a little over 2 months. I started last year but it wasn't happening.

I use starfall, a few months with time4learning, pre Explode the code books, magnets on the fridge that go with 100 EZ lessons, a bunch of small magnet words on the fridge, reading regular books.

I use all that during our weeks to make it 'fun'. I know school shouldn't always unfun but thats when you are older not 4 or 5 or even 9. With math facts we play games too but that is a different post.

Personally, I would back off for a few months and try again. I tried teach my newly turned 4 year old to read and it was a nightmare for both of us. She could make it through a phonics lesson and sound out simple words, but it was torture. I think stopped and waited until she was 4.5--at which point she flew through HOP K. By 4.75, she was halfway through HOP 1--but she would groan every single time I would mention it was time to read. She's now 5 yrs and we haven't done any phonics work for 4 months because she just dreads it.

I wish I would have just waited and started teaching her to read now.

She also says she wants to learn to read--but it's always "I want to learn to read tomorrow." Just because your daughter says she wants to read, doesn't necessarily mean she really wants it bad enough to do the work required. At 4, I wouldn't force her to do something she doesn't want to do. (I eventually stopped because it wasn't worth risking my daughter hating reading because she was forced to do something she just wasn't ready to do.)

Doodle wanted to learn to read at age 4, so we started 100EZ. He got bored and uninterested by the time we got half way finished. We took a break for 4 months (moving and then summer) and did nothing. In August when we started our school year, I began using Progressive Phonics and ETC1. I switched the order of the Progressive Phonics books to align with the order of ETC. It has been going very well. I'm sure I will add the 100EZ back into the mix before the end of the year.