Menu

Abeka Math & LA users, do I really need to order all this?

Annabel Lee

For 1st & 3rd grade LA, and 1st & 2nd grade math, do I really need the following?

• Letters & Sounds Teacher Key and Test Key
  • Language 1 Teacher Key
  • Homeschool Writing/Seatwork 1 Curriculum/Lesson Plans (I'm using manuscript Writing With Phonics for 1st, so I won't be using the penmanship lessons from this manual. Do I need this to know which pages from other books to assign on which day or is that easy to figure out? Is there more to this manual than that?)
  • Arithmetic Teacher Edition, and Arithmetic Test/Speed Drills Key - easy enough to grade by just looking or w/ a calculator?
  • Reading 3 Answer Key
  • Language 3 Answer Key

Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

For 1st & 3rd grade LA, and 1st & 2nd grade math, do I really need the following?

• Language 1 Teacher Key

• Homeschool Writing/Seatwork 1 Curriculum/Lesson Plans (I'm using manuscript Writing With Phonics for 1st, so I won't be using the penmanship lessons from this manual. Do I need this to know which pages from other books to assign on which day or is that easy to figure out? Is there more to this manual than that?)

• Arithmetic Teacher Edition, and Arithmetic Test/Speed Drills Key - easy enough to grade by just looking or w/ a calculator?

• Reading 3 Answer Key

• Language 3 Answer Key

I would get the Letters and Sounds teacher/test key--many of the test questions are geared to "write the sounds/words your teacher says" and if you don't have the key you don't know which sounds/words they are shooting for...

I wouldn't bother with the honkin' big Writing/Seatwork I curric. thing--penmanship is just penmanship. Do a page a day. It all works out. (at least it has for us.:001_smile:)

Sorry I can't help with the others. Maybe someone else can.

Sometimes the answer key is just a small booklet with just answers (sometimes they call it "Answer Key to Text Questions"), and the Teacher Key (which another publisher might call a Teacher's Edition) is a spiral book that has the exact student pages but with the answers filled in. You obviously wouldn't need both answer books. I can't remember if in the younger grades they have answer-only books, I remember they do have them for 4th, which my son was in last year.

Really, in younger grades you don't absolutely NEED the teacher keys. I always got the curriculum/lesson plans, because a good part of the lesson is done orally and can only be found in that book, it wouldn't be in a Teacher Key, and I found that the course wasn't complete without it. Honestly I don't know why the heck there are so many books for one course, but imo the smaller books are not that expensive

I got the teacher key for the speed drills in 3rd so I could grade them speedily. Yes, I could have done the math myself, but I chose not to :)

I forget the details on the rest of the books you mention, but in general, I got all (or mostly all) the teacher helps I could, because I'm the kind of person who needs the help, and if it saves me a few minutes a day, it's worth it to me. I may be in the minority in that, but (really I don't care, lol).

Now that I think of it, I don't think I used the Writing/Seatwork 1 Curriculum/Lesson Plans, because like you I was doing manuscript. I wasn't assigning seatwork, and I wasn't teaching cursive at the time, so it was unnecessary. If I remember correctly, for the handwriting, we just went through one page after another on the manuscript Writing with Phonics 1 book, those were great! My kids loved that book.

Hope that was clearer than mud.

All the best to you, these are fun years, hope you enjoy them!

Blessigs,

I did order the Seatwork Teachers Guide. I'm using it. I'm not using it for writing, since I, too, am doing manuscript. However, I do assign seatwork for DS and I use about 2/3 the assignments for the seatwork. I guess it's a toss up if I should have gotten it.

The rest of what you mentioned, I didn't get.

When we used Abeka I ordered the teacher's key (answer keys) only to have the answer right there in front of me. Peace of mind, type thing.

I did not order the curriculum guides for anything and frankly didn't miss them. The curriculum guides are designed for a classroom setting and while there are more oral exercises in them, I found most to be overkill for us. (I got a few free one year I never used them)

We did have the test book for math and Letters & Sounds.

Thanks for all the tips, ladies. I'll call Abeka tomorrow about that seatwork curriculum book - if it's just a schedule of when to assign what pages, I may try to do w/o (unfortunately I have to keep $ in mind). I do plan to use the main LA & math curric. guides for the lessons and the student test books - it's the teacher test keys I was unsure of.

Thanks again!

• Language 1 Teacher Key

• Reading 3 Answer Key

• Language 3 Answer Key

I can't help you with Language 1, but as far as Language 3, Christian Liberty Press offers the Abeka workbook at a discounted price as well as their own CLP published answer key here if you decide you'd like an AK.

As far as the Arithmetic TE, I think it does make grading faster. But if you have the time to do the math with a calculator, then go for it! I'd say you're pretty safe with those grade levels. I did prefer them for 4th and up for our eldest ds.