Menu

one of those moments

zaichiki

This has been happening more frequently with my littlest ds lately. But today took the cake -- twice! You know when everyone stops what they're doing and stares at you???

We were out and about and walking down a hallway, when ds pipes up from behind me: "Mama! There's a fire alarm!" I turned around to see a fire alarm on the wall. I expected it to have that little symbol, but no! (I knew he could sound out words, but he doesn't really do it when we're out and about.

I asked him how he knew it was a fire alarm. (Did sister point it out?)

"I saw it. Look it has -- he says the sounds of each letter --/f/ /iiiy/ /r/. Fire."

At this point we were in a lobby and I noticed a bunch of people were staring at us. I have to remember to teach ds to speak more quietly!

Later that afternoon we were at a consignment shop. Ds was following me around with a baby/toddler toy he had picked up -- you know the type that plays music and flashes lights when you hit the big, colorful buttons? He was absolutely obsessed with it (and I wasn't really paying attention to see why -- he was staying out of trouble :)). Pretty soon I heard classical music playing in the background, and it sounded familiar, so I asked dd (who I'm sure plays this song in her Suzuki viola repertoire) which Minuet it was. Ds answers first (loudly): "Bach!"

"Ummm... yeah. It IS one of the Bach Minuets, isn't it?"

People staring again.

And THREE people asked him how old he is.

Edited by zaichiki
apparently I cannot spell

Yeah... thanks... only...

I'm not really providing it for *him.* (The music is his older siblings'. The letters -- well, they're everywhere KWIM?)

I actually feel kinda bad sometimes that he gets much less of my attention than his older siblings did when they were his age. Notice how, in my post, he's always walking *behind* us. Sigh.

Yeah... thanks... only...

I'm not really providing it for *him.* (The music is his older siblings'. The letters -- well, they're everywhere KWIM?)

I actually feel kinda bad sometimes that he gets much less of my attention than his older siblings did when they were his age. Notice how, in my post, he's always walking *behind* us. Sigh.

My policy is, "You provide it, you get the credit." Period. :lol:

He gets less attention, but he has older brothers and sisters to help care for an entertain him, and your olders didn't have that, so it evens out.

I still say, "Way to go, Mama!"

When this happens around here, I usually compliment one of the older kids on "teaching" their younger brother so much... that helps everyone feel good about and share in the extra attention & praises.

Yes: I think that's a great idea.

Yesterday dd was complaining about how little brother is always copying her. I told her it was the highest form of compliment: he sees *her* as the example of the way things should be done and of course, wants to be "just like her." She's stopped complaining... for now. :)

Similar things used to happen to us all the time. My daughter started identifying alphabet letters when she was around 14 months old. We would be walking through the store and she would be happily calling out letters that she saw. People would be amazed and stop to ask how old she was. Then, it happened regularly when she started reading. She would be reading a sign or menu and people would stop and ask.

Suzanne

Yeah... except I don't really having strangers stare at me.

Last month we were at the zoo, listening to a docent explain about the placement of eyes on an animal and how that's related to the predator/prey relationship. Ds(10) raised his hand when she was done (that's new -- since he started school) and asked a question. He was challenging her explanation based on some background knowledge he had... anyway, she commented that he was very smart. He replied: "Yep."

Ummm... :001_huh: I just wanted to run away.

(He was right, BTW. Not ALL predators have their eyes located in the front of the face. He was thinking about dinosaurs, but this is also true about many reptiles. And birds.)

Still... I'm not happy about the way he handled the encounter. He did say it quietly and continued to talk, so I'm *hoping* she missed that particular part of his reply. Sigh.

It is hard when people are always telling them how smart they are. I try to talk to ds5 about how everyone has there own talents, and he already knows he has friends who are better at sports than him. But he is so verbal that EVERY one around us knows how smart he is. And he is so used to hearing it that when people say so he just says 'yeah'. He isn't trying to be a snooty. I'm just not sure how to explain to him that he shouldn't say that.

And he is so used to hearing it that when people say so he just says 'yeah'. He isn't trying to be a snooty. I'm just not sure how to explain to him that he shouldn't say that.

I hear you -- BUT it's different when they're 10, IYKWIM. 5 is still so -- innocent. 10 year olds should know better. And...umm... we've HAD the discussion. Several times. (I *know* he's not showing off or bragging, but I wish I could get him to catch the response before it comes out of his mouth!)

I hear you -- BUT it's different when they're 10, IYKWIM. 5 is still so -- innocent. 10 year olds should know better. And...umm... we've HAD the discussion. Several times. (I *know* he's not showing off or bragging, but I wish I could get him to catch the response before it comes out of his mouth!)

I think it sounded more like your ds was distractedly trying to get her to answer his question. I doubt if she even caught it because her brain was trying to figure out an answer. LOL I think you are just more intuned to the response as his mom. :001_smile: