Menu

Say you are travelling (credit card grumble)...

and you get low on cash and decide to use your Visa card to get a cash advance of a couple hundred dollars. Don't. If you try to get a cash advance, despite there being clear motel and gas charges en route between your home and the county you are trying to get a cash advance in, the fraud people *freeze your card and leave a message on your home phone*!

When do I need cash? When I'm away from my hometown and its ATM. Where can I check my home messages? At home.

Luckily I missed this trip due to work, and I have ironed it out and figured out a way to get hubby (who was, of course, in a very underpopulated and poorly serviced by cell phones county in the desert) some cash, but jeezle-peezle.

Hubby has bad dyslexia. Even with glasses the print on the maps I printed out is tiny. He is driving all over several states calling me, and asking strangers directions. Someone in Bryce got him to Mesa Verde, and now I'm talking him to Flagstaff. I study the maps at night so I can "talk him out of" places in my mind's eye. He calls and says he's near Mesa Verde in a town starting with an M. I flip through my brain: No, you went east to Mancos, you need to turn around. I'm at 4 Corners. No, you went too far west, go back and head south on a road to Gallup and Shiprock. Etc. Etc. I have this image of a drunk stagecoach driver plying around the desert. My son is giving me a list of all the swimming pools, skateboard parks and playgrounds he's been to, and which knee he skinned where. Also all about the drop dead pretty tour guide at the cave who "let him walk with her". Hubby said he nearly cried at Mesa Verde seeing how "tough" life was. He can't believe the stars. He crowed over being wetted by Old Faithful. They got pinned in by smoke in a forest fire and had to break camp in a downpour at 3 a.m. Etc. Etc. On top of that Hubby wants to know what this incredible story on the CDs is. I tell him The Odyssey and he says "wow, what a coincidence....that's the name of our van. Did you do that on purpose?"

I have two children, I tell ya, two children.

He sounds like he's having a blast. :)

A friend of mine went to Virginia with her family then, a week later, went to Japan with her husband. They called the credit card company ahead of time to warn them. The cc company said it was good that they did, because they would have frozen their account otherwise. I think it's all in response to all the credit card fraud. Sorry you got caught in the middle.

and you get low on cash and decide to use your Visa card to get a cash advance of a couple hundred dollars. Don't. If you try to get a cash advance, despite there being clear motel and gas charges en route between your home and the county you are trying to get a cash advance in, the fraud people *freeze your card and leave a message on your home phone*!

When do I need cash? When I'm away from my hometown and its ATM. Where can I check my home messages? At home.

Luckily I missed this trip due to work, and I have ironed it out and figured out a way to get hubby (who was, of course, in a very underpopulated and poorly serviced by cell phones county in the desert) some cash, but jeezle-peezle.

Hubby has bad dyslexia. Even with glasses the print on the maps I printed out is tiny. He is driving all over several states calling me, and asking strangers directions. Someone in Bryce got him to Mesa Verde, and now I'm talking him to Flagstaff. I study the maps at night so I can "talk him out of" places in my mind's eye. He calls and says he's near Mesa Verde in a town starting with an M. I flip through my brain: No, you went east to Mancos, you need to turn around. I'm at 4 Corners. No, you went too far west, go back and head south on a road to Gallup and Shiprock. Etc. Etc. I have this image of a drunk stagecoach driver plying around the desert. My son is giving me a list of all the swimming pools, skateboard parks and playgrounds he's been to, and which knee he skinned where. Also all about the drop dead pretty tour guide at the cave who "let him walk with her". Hubby said he nearly cried at Mesa Verde seeing how "tough" life was. He can't believe the stars. He crowed over being wetted by Old Faithful. They got pinned in by smoke in a forest fire and had to break camp in a downpour at 3 a.m. Etc. Etc. On top of that Hubby wants to know what this incredible story on the CDs is. I tell him The Odyssey and he says "wow, what a coincidence....that's the name of our van. Did you do that on purpose?"

I have two children, I tell ya, two children.

Well, since Christmas is only 86 days away, I strongly urge you to start researching GPS! For those of us that can't read a map and drive and refuse to ever again ask a child, even an almost teen who knows better, to read said map......the GPS is my best friend. Her name is Mandy (ours came with a choice of a dozen different voices and we named her). She not only will tell me that my turn is coming up in 1 block, but will also guide me through 3 left turns to get back to that same turning point when I fail to turn. I'm Sorry Mandy!

I know there are likely better ones out there, and maybe even more updated since I've had mine since Christmas of 2007, but it's a TomTom. You can subscribe to a satellite hookup that will even check traffic for you and attempt to take you around slow traffic if an alternate route is clearer. I subscribe and then unsubscribe after trips when I'm travelling in notorious bad traffic areas, like Los Angeles!

As for having TWO children....you mean you didn't get the memo after your wedding?

Oh yeah, and I forgot....on the credit card thingy. We've had that stupidity before.....and thankfully were able to fix it. Somehow our credit card company (so I presume other companies also) can tell when we are calling from our home telephone. So....they instructed us that when we returned from the trip where they couldn't help us because we were travelling....grrr....to call them from our home phone. With this verified (and the usual questions they do to verify, including the last charge or payment, etc)....they were able to set up a SENTENCE....an ENTIRE SENTENCE (there were minimum word requirements) mind you that was a security code. When we were unable to call them from our home phone as verification, we had to recite this SENTENCE, word for word, deviate even a "um" and you're through, lol. But it identified us positively for them when we weren't home. Go figure.

But, have your DH call them when he returns home and see if there isn't some way that they can set up something similiar (by the way my credit card company is USAA.) Being military they are used to having members away from home, far far away, lol, but hopefully your company will be as accomodating for future needs.

:lol::lol::lol:

One company, which shall remain nameless, froze our card several times during and just after our cross-country move, making me mad enough to cancel the dadblasted thing. So I feel your pain. It's sure a good thing that you stayed home--I think!

:lol::lol::lol: I'm laughing bigtime about the story = car thing. That's priceless.

You are such a hilarious writer. You turn the most aggravating circumstances in to a great story. Every. Time. Thanks for the laughs!

Here's hoping DH doesn't have to call too many times tomorrow . . .

You have an awesome hubby, though. That child-likeness makes him a great father. He and your son have such fun together...it really is a blessing.

:iagree:

"Who takes the child by the hand takes the mother by the heart."

I'm slowing getting used to a man who is so vastly different from me...

I'm going to remind him, however, he's durned lucky I was sired by a geographer and learned to read reading maps, or he'd still be somewhere outside of Salt Lake City.

Yes, GPS is in our future. I hesitated on a birthday present for the trip: GPS vs. binoculars. Binoculars won, but never again. I foolishly thought all those years as a commercial fisherman would give him good navigation sense. He has it, but only when there are no roads, towns, signs, or landmarks. He can find tuna, but not Tucson.:)

I feel bad for your husband because I am geographically challenged too. My husband has gotten phone calls from me saying things like, "Hi, dear. I am at the corner of x and y. I think I missed my turn. Can you figure out where I am?"

He is a computer geek and usually can find me on a GoogleMap pretty quickly and get me reoriented. I do better with maps and as few turns as possible. And I absolutely can not do freeways. There are too many cars going too fast and the signs don't give me enough time to get to the correct lane.

Thankfully my husband is very very good about my lack of directional ability. He just sighs and figures it out. I love him dearly!

Yuppers! That GPS in the dash of my Odyssey is worth the money!! LOL!!

Hey, at least you are all up-to-date on your SW Geography :D

And :glare: I often hear of insane CC issues when people are traveling. Even if you call ahead and put a flag on it they can STILL do this crap.....

I feel bad for your husband because I am geographically challenged too. My husband has gotten phone calls from me saying things like, "Hi, dear. I am at the corner of x and y. I think I missed my turn. Can you figure out where I am?"

He is a computer geek and usually can find me on a GoogleMap pretty quickly and get me reoriented. I do better with maps and as few turns as possible. And I absolutely can not do freeways. There are too many cars going too fast and the signs don't give me enough time to get to the correct lane.

Thankfully my husband is very very good about my lack of directional ability. He just sighs and figures it out. I love him dearly!

Yep, BTDT. I am directionally challenged, although if I have driven a route once or seen a place once I memorize it well, so I can usually get around our area just fine. However getting to new places is always a challenge! I call my dh my own personal OnStar Assistance.

Dh, on the other hand, has an innate sense of direction that truly boggles my mind. He has been able to navigate like a native through any and every city or area he has ever been in. Since I adore foreign travel, this ability has been invaluable.