Menu

Can anyone share their church nursery guidelines?

I'm working for our church now, just on Sunday's, and I'm supposed to come up with some guidelines for all of the volunteers. I searched a bit this morning and couldn't find what I was looking for. I need guidelines to remind the workers to wash the kids hands, change their diaper, etc. Also, any kind of generic rules for parents when they drop off (like telling them the kids can't be sick, but in a nice way), how to distinguish kids with food allergies, what you do to keep the toys clean if you don't have a sink to wash them, etc. We are using a building that is not our own, on Sunday's, so all of our nursery stuff is brought to the building in tubs, unloaded and used, then re-loaded. There isn't alot of time to or a sink available to clean everything up.

I would also appreciate any suggestions for a potty chair or potty ring that will go over an oblong toilet, and a good gate to use in an extra wide door.

Sorry I'm asking for so much help, I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for online, and my brain feels like mush lately.

Thank you,

Alison

I'm working for our church now, just on Sunday's, and I'm supposed to come up with some guidelines for all of the volunteers. I searched a bit this morning and couldn't find what I was looking for. I need guidelines to remind the workers to wash the kids hands, change their diaper, etc.

Make a one page sign to post on the wall (even though you'll have to rehang it every week since it's not your building) that has either a checklist or a schedule. Include on the checklist/schedule everything that should be done by the workers. Put some cute graphics on it to make it inviting.

Also, any kind of generic rules for parents when they drop off (like telling them the kids can't be sick, but in a nice way), how to distinguish kids with food allergies,

You can make up a one page pamphlet to send home with parents that talks about your nursery guidelines. But, before I go on about that, you need to be prepared to verbally say everything in that handout to a parent the first time they drop off a child. Not that you have to, but you need to be prepared to. They're not going to stand there and read the pamphlet before they hand over their kid.

In the parent flyer be brief and to the point. For instance:

"In order to ensure the safety of all our children, parents must sign their child in. That parent will be given a number card that corresponds to their sign-in sheet number. The same parent that signed them in must sign them out and present their child's number before the child will be given to the parent."

"To help keep all of our children well, any child with a snotty nose, fever, or cough will not be allowed to stay in the nursery. Thank you for your understanding."

"Please let the nursery workers know if your child has a food allergy."

what you do to keep the toys clean if you don't have a sink to wash them, etc.

I would recommend bringing Clorox wipes (or similar) for on the spot use, for instance for toys that kids put in their mouths. The toys will have to be cleaned en masse at someone's home between Sundays.

That's all I have off the top of my head. I hope that helps. :) And thanks for working in the nursery! XOXOX

Edited by CookieMonster
aack!

Always wear gloves when changing diapers

Always keep the bathroom door open when helping a child in restroom

Our nursery always posts a sheet on the door with "Allergy Alert: we will be serving ________today at snack"

Our nursery has security cards the parents get when they drop off and no one is allowed to pick up child without the card...no older siblings either

HTH!