Menu

Has anyone used the lesson plans VP has for LFC?

Mommy7

Just wondering if it would help me be able to teach it or somehow make this program work for us.

I so want it to work...I haven't ever actually tried to teach it...not sure how that would go. My dd 12 yo did it independently...didn't work well & we dropped it.

I'm a little gunshy and concerned about it not working with the others.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm really convinced that the problem is not the program (LfC isn't my favorite, but it's certainly not bad either), but that *you* need to be doing the lessons -- you need to work ahead of your kids and make sure that you understand the material, *and* you need to be working with your kids day-to-day. Latin simply isn't a subject that you can hand to a child and expect them to make progress.

Make this a family affair. You need to learn at least a *little* ahead of your kids (and the bigger the head start you can get in the beginning, the longer it'll take for them to catch up and outstrip you so that you're struggling to keep up), and you need to work with them along the way.

You've been asking about Lively Latin, LfC and other programs. Everything you've mentioned is decent (though I still believe Prima and Song School are much too young for the students you want to teach), but all of them require that you be involved -- even if most of that involvement is encouraging and coaxing your kids along.

If you want LfC to work for you, I think you can make it work with the ages you're looking at (8, 9, 11) *if* you're willing to be very hands-on. ... If *not*, I don't think purchasing other programs will work tremendously better. ... But the good news is, even if you're new to Latin, I think you can use LfC or Lively Latin, etc, and learn along with your kids and make good progress as a family. :)

:iagree:I have no Latin background and we started LfC A last year. I even bought my own workbook to learn along side/ahead of my only child. We worked about 30 minutes per day together and it made a world of difference. I remember flipping through the workbook at the beginning of the year and feeling like I would never understand the stuff in the final weeks. I did by the time we got there, but I don't feel my ds would have felt comfortable doing it on his own.

We are using Primer B this year, still have my own workbook, and now I'm working ahead of him using Latin Alive. We still take about 30 minutes together, a little more on Monday when we watch the video.

Latin has made a difference and is therefore a priority in my teaching. My son is mildly dyslexic. Learning Latin has helped him see the differences in words and phonetical sounds in a way English phonics never did. His vocabulary has improved, as has his understanding of grammar. Almost everyday we discover an English word that has it's roots in Latin, it's almost a game around here.

I have not seen the VP lesson plans so I'm not sure they would make a difference. LfC is laid our fairly nicely so you could do 1-2 pages a day 4x/week and finish a week on time. The DVDs (from CAP) were necessary for us to guide in pronunciation and give more formality to our lessons.

Thank you so much for your insight. I am planning to be involved with the Latin program. I have managed to squeeze a 30 min. slot for teaching it. I think I'm just intimidated. I never have learned a foreign language of any sort, really.

I'm sure I'll learn a tremendous amount this year doing FFL with my 7th grader. That should help me stay ahead of my kids and maybe be able to help them, if it's needed.

I think because of the intimidation factor, I am stuck on figuring out which program will make my teaching job easier. I like the way PL is laid out, but I am an adult. I can truly see how for a child it would help them learn it, but possibly bore them to tears.

So, I thank you for listening and commenting. Please feel free to make additional comments. It is so helpful. :)

I think because of the intimidation factor, I am stuck on figuring out which program will make my teaching job easier. I like the way PL is laid out, but I am an adult. I can truly see how for a child it would help them learn it, but possibly bore them to tears.

Well, I *like* Prima Latina. I've used it and enjoyed it and it did not bore us to tears. I think a lot of that is attitude going in and approach. I think it's possible to make Prima very pleasant -- it'll never be colorful or silly, etc, but it can be very *pleasant*. That said, it moves extraordinarily SLOWLY. It's designed for very young children -- younger than the children you have -- and by that fact alone, if you moved at the stated pace, I would expect your children to be bored. All they'd have to learn is 5 words a week, a handful of prayers, and a couple of very simple grammar concepts. There's not much there. If you do it at a reasonable pace for their ages, studying for maybe 10 minutes a day 4x a week, I would expect it to last you three months at most.

It's not a bad program at all! It's gentle and quiet but also rather lovely. If you were using it for very young children who had just learned to read and were only now beginning to learn the difference between a noun and a verb, I might recommend it. But not for the ages of your kids.

If you really like the format, consider Latina Christiana for them instead. It's very similar to Prima, but was designed with middle and upper elementary students in mind.