Menu

Grammar question

Which is correct?

A) There are no gravy or rolls left on the table.

B)There is no gravy or rolls left on the table.

Which is correct?

A) There are no rolls or gravy left on the table.

B) There is no rolls or gravy left on the table.

Please explain why.

There is only one correct sentence (highlighted above) according to the following rule:

When a singular subject is connected by or or nor to a plural subject, put the plural subject last and use a plural verb.

Source: http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/subjectVerbAgree.asp

There is only one correct sentence (highlighted above) according to the following rule:

When a singular subject is connected by or or nor to a plural subject, put the plural subject last and use a plural verb.

Source: http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/subjectVerbAgree.asp

Oh my. So if you've already started the sentence (assuming we're speaking and not writing), and you've said "There is no gravy...", you're just screwed from there on out with no recourse to recover the sentence? That's kind of tragic. :glare:

Oh my. So if you've already started the sentence (assuming we're speaking and not writing), and you've said "There is no gravy...", you're just screwed from there on out with no recourse to recover the sentence? That's kind of tragic. :glare:

Then you say, "There is no gravy...{pause to realize error :tongue_smilie: } on the table. And there are no rolls either!" :D

Which is correct?

A) There are no gravy or rolls left on the table.

B) There is no gravy or rolls left on the table.

Which is correct?

A) There are no rolls or gravy left on the table.

B) There is no rolls or gravy left on the table.

Please explain why.

In the first set, sentence B is correct.

In the second set, sentence A is correct.

In a sentence with a single subject and a plural subject connected by the conjunction "or" or "nor," the number of the verb is determined by the number of the subject closer to the verb. Hence, if the single subject is closer to the verb, the verb is singular; if the plural subject is closer, the verb is plural.

For the sake of the ear, sentence "A" of the second set is the best of the given options. :001_smile:

((ETA: If I were being really picky, I'd also change them all to "neither/nor". ;)))

Edited by Trixie