Menu

Recommendation for Teaching Spanish

Wildwood

I have 5 different books.

There were 2 grade level books at RR that didn't work well for us. They were OK, but not great.

I like "hide and speak spanish" and "I can read and speak in Spanish."

My daughter had a blast making up "stories" (sentences) from the flash cards in "I can read and speak in Spanish."

I personally like "La Pata Pita" for someone who speaks the language a little, it teaches the sounds of Spanish using syllables. It worked good for learning the sounds, but would be difficult to use if you don't know Spanish. It would have been more useful for us if my daughter had been exposed to a bit more Spanish, we just used it for a bit before it got too tough for her.

We are using La Clase Divertida, which my daughter loves, it's DVD based and has lots of crafts and several cooking projects. The presentation isn't super-polished, but Senor Gamache is very enthusiastic and Ariel found the lessons fun. We also use this CD-ROM from Rainbow Resource, which is good, as well. I also looked at Sonrisas, but I haven't been able to find anyone who is familiar with it. I'm very tempted to at least buy their CD, though. I spent nearly a week doing the "Bate, bate, chocolate" chant after listening to the samples. :tongue_smilie:

I recommend something that isn't reading or writing intensive at your child's age, since s/he will likely still be mastering the basics of reading.

I debated about it for a year, based on price, but finally decided to buy the first level of La Clase Divertida after trying it out a little at a co-op class. The kids are liking it (ages 9, 7, and 5) and the songs they use are very memorable, which are included in both the DVD lessons as well as the practice CD. We also like how they include crafts (ready-to-go with the kit) that relate to Mexico and its culture.

Erica in OR

If you want your little one to learn Spanish and actually be able to speak it so a Spanish speaker understands him/her, I recommend Rosetta Stone. It's the only program with software that requires the child to pronounce words correctly. They must speak into the headset. There is amazing software that allows the child to "see" the word correctly pronounced and as he is pronouncing it. With a bit of practice, the child learns to make his words "look" correct. This can only happen if the child pronounces it perfectly. As far as I know (and I looked at every program on the market) there is no other system that has this feature. I have the homeschool edition of South American Spanish (European Spanish has a heavy accent from our perspective in the Americas and Caribbean. I'm sure the inverse is true as well.)

My first language is Spanish and it's always funny when my friends tell me how well "little Johnny" is doing in Spanish. He can rattle off all sorts of lists of words and sentences. Trouble is, I can't understand a word he's saying. Horrific pronunciation and his parents are oblivious because they can't speak it either.

I fought getting Rosetta Stone for a long time because it's so expensive. In the end, I had to ask myself: Do I want my son to actually speak the language well, or do I just want him to pass the tests? I decided I wanted ds to speak the language perfectly.

I have not been disappointed. My son's pronunciation is flawless -- something I've never seen with other kids in our group who take Spanish.

My first language is Spanish...I fought getting Rosetta Stone for a long time because it's so expensive. In the end, I had to ask myself: Do I want my son to actually speak the language well, or do I just want him to pass the tests? I decided I wanted ds to speak the language perfectly.

I have not been disappointed. My son's pronunciation is flawless -- something I've never seen with other kids in our group who take Spanish.

I promise I'm not trying to be a brat, but from my perspective, it seems that your ds would have done well with any program since your first language is Spanish.

That being said, you still have me thinking about Rosetta Stone and I'm wondering if the program gets into the grammar of the language?