Menu

WWE woes

notbefore7

My daughter is in first grade....almost 7 though. We began WWE I this year and I am finding she really struggles with getting the answers to the narrations. She can do about 50-60% of them with accuracy. Clearly, her attention to detail is lacking.

We aren't doing the copywork, as we have our own copywork book to do. But we are doing the narrations. I don't want to keep progressing to harder passages as she is clearly not getting these completely.

suggestions? just lots and lots of practice?

Thanks!

My son was a 7 yr old 1st grader last year doing WWE 1 also. He had the same struggle with the narrations. I would just do as suggested in the instructions and go back and read the specific sentence(s) with the answer to the question he wasn't remembering the answer to. When it came to "What is one thing you remember?" he could usually do that part fine, it was the comprehension questions that were hard. I just kept going, figuring it takes some kids longer than others and it's a weak point for him. He needs the practice with listening skills so I don't want to drop it, but I admit that I've been putting off WWE 2 because I think he's going to melt down at naming 3 specific things and remembering the dictation will be hard for him.

Basically, I don't have any help, just commiseration.

I just go back and re-read the section that had the answer to the question.

Even after answering the questions, though, my dd cannot answer the "What is one thing you remember?" question, ususally. :confused: At that point, I ask her one of the questions again.

I think that practice in other subjects like science and history will help this, too.

I just finished listening to SWB's Writing Without Fear over the weekend (Recommended, btw!) and the one thing that really stuck out to me was "...consistency, consistency, consistency!"

Fwiw, my 9yo ds is in WWE 2 and I still see him occasionally struggle to remember. However, overall I have seen immense progress from when we first began WWE 1. So, I encourage you to persevere!

And on a practical note, I really try to make sure it's as quiet as possible. He has a 2yo db that can disruptive at times. :willy_nilly:

Edited by angela&4boys

Ok, can I be really tacky and ask what your name notbefore7 refers to? Is it that you sleep in late? Or are you into delayed schooling? I only ask, because skills don't build in a vacuum. You can't start at age 7 and expect to achieve in one week what people have spent years building up. And it really is part of a total package, the overall language-rich environment you create. WTM talks about this in the K5 section and explains how to create a language-rich environment. If this is a shift for you and you're making some changes, I would expect it to take some time. Skills build slowly. Carry the narration skill over to other things, even informally. When my dd was that age, I would have her tell dh what she did for the day when he came home. Or she would tell me about an event she went to with her grandparents or a movie she watched. That's narrating too, they just don't think of it that way. Talk about books she is reading. You read aloud a good book to her, one or two chapters a day, and each day, before beginning, ask what happened the day before. All that is narrating and practicing the skills WWE is building. The more you practice the skills in lots of ways, the more natural they will become.

My ds was like this in first grade last year and it was frustrating. I would just re-read the paragraph that had the answer until he got it. I am amazed at the difference this year. He can almost always answer the questions! I don't know if it's a maturity thing or what, but try to be patient and most likely it will come.

When my older son was in 1st grade I had not yet heard of WTM or WWE. I was using VP's First Favorites lit. guides with him, which were mostly Q & A about the books (no narration helps) plus some activities. Something that did help him which continues to help in WWE is going back through the text himself and looking for keywords from the question in order to find the answer. I help him scan through and he has to keep his eyes peeled for the answers. Just an idea, YMMV.